It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• persistent jawline acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
    amy1982

amy1982 HB User
    persistent jawline acne

Hi,

I'm 21 years old and in my third year of university. Before my first year I'd had maybe 5 pimples in my entire life. However, in my first week of school, I developped acne on the right side of my jaw just below the corner of my mouth. It hasn't gone away. It's not terrible, but I usually have redness, tiny whiteheads and pimples that come and go (in the exact same spot). I can't figure out what's causing this. The city that I'm in has very hard water and my hometown has very soft water - could this be a reaction? It's lasted over 2 years, I wash my face with a foaming cleanser in the mornign and night and I also apply Neutrogena clear pore every night (2% salicylic acid). I'm also taking birth control (Marvelon). I know that some are good for acne (not sure about Marvelon), but nothing has changed since I've began taking it.

Any idea's what's causing this and what I can do to get it to go away?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Re: persistent jawline acne

Usually chin/jawline acne is related to hormones. My most problem area has been my chin area as well. It was never that bad but very bothersome and some would be a little painful (a week before my period). Spironolactone is an anti-androgen drug that is used to sometimes treat acne. It's specific use is to lower blood pressure. My derm. put me on 50 mg. daily about 3 weeks ago and my skin has never looked better. Search in the archives for spironolactone (sometimes called "spiro") if you are interested because there is tons of information from people on this board. You could also try searching about "Marvelon". I have not heard of that bcp before but you should search on the internet also and see how androgenic it is. There are some websites that have lists from the most androgenic (most likely to cause acne) to the least.

Also, I'm not sure if there is a relation to the water or not. I am at college also and our house water is very very hard compared to my water back home which is really soft because that's how my dad likes it. I notice that when I am home my complexion looks much better than it does at school. Who knows?? I'd be interested to find out if there was a connection here as well!

Old 12-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #3
    bunny9987
    Veteran
    (female)

bunny9987 HB User

I had chin/jawline acne. Its hormonal. I went on Yasmin BC. I would recommend it for the kind of blemishes you are getting. It should clear it right up.

I looked up Marvelon. It says:

MarvelonŽ, introduced by Organon in the early 1980s, is a monophasic combined low-dose oral contraceptive containing 150 microgram desogestrel (one of the first modern progestogens to become available) and 30 microgram ethinylestradiol.

I am not sure what this means, but I know Yasmin has YasminŽ drospirenone 3.0.

Thanks....

Last edited by bunny9987; 12-14-2003 at 03:12 PM.

Old 12-14-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
    neko13

neko13 HB User

I also had hormonal jawline acne. Both Yasmin and OTC-LO BCPs worked for me. It might just be a matter of switching your BCP, but remember that they work differently on everyone. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
    neko13

neko13 HB User

I'd also like to add that Neutrogena Clear Pore did absolutely nothing for me. I think the pH isn't in the correct range, plus it contains fragrance and colorants, which irritated my skin. Have you tried Paula's Choice BHAs? They come in 1% and 2% formulas, and are far superior, IMO.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
    72and78love

72and78love HB User
    Re: persistent jawline acne, neck too??

I had jawline acne and it also went down the side of my neck and just underneath my jaw. Mine could of been hormonal I guess, im 31..and I think alot had to do with stress. And of course getting acne stressed me even more. I couldnt believe this was happening to me at 31, thats for sure. Anyone else with acne on jaw and neck?

Old 12-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #7
    KillerBoots,man

KillerBoots,man HB User

that's exactly where i had my problems during the 2 times it has been cystic. It is the worst because, you can't cover it up, and it hurts like hell. I was 16 when it happened the first time and 21 when it happened the second time. I'm female also. I took accutane the first time around and this last time I started taking spiro and noticed no real improvement until I stopped taking my birth control pills...they were actually making it all worse. It's a pain in the *** to have to try so many different meds before you find what works for you. why are we so complicated?

Closed Thread