It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• accutane will make you look old

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
    burtonbabe

burtonbabe HB User
    accutane will make you look old

One of my teachers in high school took accutane when she was younger because she had acne and she said it was,at the time,a blessing but now that shes older she wishes she had never taken it.Shes 40 years old and she has the skin of a 70 year old,its always extremely dry and flakey and her nose is always red and no matter what kind of moisturizor she uses her skin cant get moisturized.This is because of accutane and how it permanantly shuts down the oil glands.Think about it,you wont have oily skin now which is great but when your older you wont have any natural moisturizors (oil glands) in your skin so you'll get wrinkles and look a lot older way before your time.

Im glad I have oily skin cuz that can be controlled..I just tell myself that when Im older my skin will be radiant and glowing while the other people who had non oily skin will look alot older than me.
    now I see if I wear a mask I can fool the world
    but I cannot fool my heart
    who is that girl I see,starting straight back at me?
    When will my reflection show who Iam inside..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
    sunfell
    Inactive

sunfell HB User
    Re: accutane will make you look old

This is true. People with oily skin do not show age as quickly. And people with acne are generally forced to take better care of their skin, so they don't show age as quickly. This, of course, depends on the topicals and medicines chosen. For instance, some topicals prescribed for acne can slow down the skin aging process such as glycolic acid + retin A.

I can usually tell if a person has taken accutane.

Last edited by sunfell; 12-16-2003 at 12:52 PM.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:19 PM   #3
    Scooterman

Scooterman HB User

Uhhh...that's only true if the oil DOESN'T come back. (and in most cases it does)

Personally my oil has come back, but my acne has not.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I'm back on Roaccutane now and the dryness is getting slightly irritating. But it's totally controllable. My skin felt a bit dry at work today but upon looking in the mirror I looked fine. And by that I don't just mean my skin wasn't dry - it looked healthy, smoother and a lot clearer than just one week ago. I'm a happy boy. What's more, I don't think everyone gets permanantly affected by accutane's drying effects because I took my first course nearly two yeas ago and after a couple of days from coming off it the dryness stopped. My lips took the longest to go back to normal, but that's what they did - went back to normal. I hope the same happens at the end of this treatment. But either way, I live for the moment and what I look like in the future matters not now - my happiness and confidence in my appearance is paramount at this juncture

Old 12-17-2003, 04:15 AM   #5
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

How true re the ageing!!! I am terrified about this, cos I shudder to think what I'll look like at 50 years age given that I look like a 40 year old at 25 due to this permanent dryness!!!!! And moisturises just break you out...

AA

Old 12-17-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
    bunny9987
    Veteran
    (female)

bunny9987 HB User

I am on accutane now, and my skin is still oily, no breakouts though. It all depends upon the person.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:37 AM   #7
    DanCan
    (female)

DanCan HB User

In August I finished my accutane treatment a month after the oil came back with at 1 or 2 blemishes a month (not at all like before). Accutane does not work the same for everyone. Your skin is senstive and should always be protected by wearing sunscreen. My skin in not excessively dry or flakey it's pretty much normal with more oil produced in the warmer months.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
    haydensmom
    (female)

haydensmom HB User
    Question Re: accutane will make you look old

Quote:
    Originally Posted by burtonbabe
    One of my teachers in high school took accutane when she was younger because she had acne and she said it was,at the time,a blessing but now that shes older she wishes she had never taken it.Shes 40 years old and she has the skin of a 70 year old,its always extremely dry and flakey and her nose is always red and no matter what kind of moisturizor she uses her skin cant get moisturized.This is because of accutane and how it permanantly shuts down the oil glands.Think about it,you wont have oily skin now which is great but when your older you wont have any natural moisturizors (oil glands) in your skin so you'll get wrinkles and look a lot older way before your time.

Im glad I have oily skin cuz that can be controlled..I just tell myself that when Im older my skin will be radiant and glowing while the other people who had non oily skin will look alot older than me.
    [FONT=Century Gothi

Having oily skin does NOT keep you from aging. This has always been a huge myth! Protecting your skin from the SUN prevents premature aging of the skin. All aging of the skin has to do with SUN DAMAGE!!!!!! (and the breaking down of collegen/free radical damage) I took accutane 1 year ago, and still have slightly oily skin, so NO accutane doesn't make your skin dried out for the rest of your life!

Old 12-24-2003, 04:25 PM   #9
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

yep the sun will age your skin.i used to be out in the sun a lot but no more.im 42 and look about 25 and still have a baby face.a guy who is 2 years older than me was with me and someone thought i was his nephew.my skin isnt sagging at all and my face has no wrinkles

Old 12-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #10
    Emma2

Emma2 HB User

Joe,

What do you do to make your skin look so young(esp. if you used to be in the sun a lot)?

Are you on topicals?

Thanks

Closed Thread