It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro/Tretinoin/Depression Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User
    Spiro/Tretinoin/Depression Questions

I just punched a hole through my bathroom door, actually it's my mom's bathroom door.....so I'll be paying for it. As you can guess, this sudden burst of anger was brought on by looking at my face in the mirror adjacent to the door. I didn't even mean to break it, I just got mad really fast and hit something. This tretinoin is currently making me breakout worse and is causing quite a bit of flaking of the skin. It takes me forever to shave in the morning, seeing as I have to carefully get all the flaking off my face and not cut myself. This extensive shaving routine is making me late for school and work and making me angry besides. I've read that this happens for 4 to 6 weeks after starting the tretinoin. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problems when they started using tretinoin and how long it persisted. I'm also wondering if I should be on minocycline or some other antibiotic at the same time. Other posts indicate that I should be.

Also, I have anxiety/depression/anger problems, and I'm wondering if that could make acne worse. I was told to look at some of the posts about Spiro and they say that the drug controls the androgens and that taken for a long time, it can cause you to be steril. That kinda scares me. My mom has wanted me to go on anti-depressant drugs for a while. Mostly to get mind out of the gutter and so I can concentrate on college. I've always told her that I don't want to take pills to change parts of my mind and the way I think. What I'm wondering is if an anti-depressant drug could possibly help my acne if the acne is caused by testosterone. From my limited knowledge of anti-depressants, they calm you down by lowering your testosterone. If anti-depressants could help my acne, then I would take them and solve all my problems with one pill. Anyone have any thoughts or facts or stories about anti-depressants and acne. Or the Tretinoin questions mentioned above? Thanks for replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Re: Spiro/Tretinoin/Depression Questions

I have anxiety attacks/problems as well and I also do NOT want to go on anti-depressent/anti-anxiety drugs because I have heard they are very difficult to come off of and side effects are not too pleasant. My doctor actually told me not to go on medication unless absolutely necessary. I have been reading a lot of books on relaxation, breathing, etc and how to deal with it to try and get through this and get better. However..I recently started spiro (about a month ago) and I have not had an anxiety attack since then. I do feel a little more relaxed and I know Joeh on this board said it makes him calmer so I hope I am not just dreaming it. But I am a girl so it would not make me sterol like you it could to you I guess. Just thought I would share this note that I really like the spiro so far (it's also made my face clear).

Old 12-21-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

yes it does calm you down.i think im a much better person on spironlatone than i am off it.the main thing for a guy is it can cause you to be steril.i think anything after 6 months is pretty risky.plus that you might as a guy clear up on your own when your hormones adjust to your body.trust me it wont turn a guy into a girl.and i had a lot of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs and they never made a difference either way skin-wise.im on vivactal and klonopin right now but a lot less since i went on spiro.i could still have sex but i probably could not have sexual intercourse or feel sexual.it was my choice and i still dont regret it.i think spiro should be givin to any guy that commits a sex crime.that would cut rapes and other sex crimes down a lot and be a good deturant for anyone thinking of doing something like this.i would rather of loved a girl than just had sex with a girl.if i was married and a girl couldnt have sexual intercourse with me i would stay with her because it is someone i choose for better or worse and love.my derm has 3 guys on 25 mgs a day of spiro.this might be enough to sorta control your skin but i dont think its enough to clear a guys skin.im on 100 mgs a day and it has made my skin look great.i still would have takin spiro when i was 14 years old......years ago.i think my life would have been a lot better even if i couldnt have sexual intercourse.i think i read on the internet that hugging and kissing someone you love can really have a positive effect on your outlook on life.spiro is mainly for woman but if a guys not worried about being steril it works great on them too.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
    brainf0g

brainf0g HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratman
    I just punched a hole through my bathroom door, actually it's my mom's bathroom door.....so I'll be paying for it. As you can guess, this sudden burst of anger was brought on by looking at my face in the mirror adjacent to the door. I didn't even mean to break it, I just got mad really fast and hit something. This tretinoin is currently making me breakout worse and is causing quite a bit of flaking of the skin. It takes me forever to shave in the morning, seeing as I have to carefully get all the flaking off my face and not cut myself. This extensive shaving routine is making me late for school and work and making me angry besides. I've read that this happens for 4 to 6 weeks after starting the tretinoin. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problems when they started using tretinoin and how long it persisted. I'm also wondering if I should be on minocycline or some other antibiotic at the same time. Other posts indicate that I should be.

Also, I have anxiety/depression/anger problems, and I'm wondering if that could make acne worse. I was told to look at some of the posts about Spiro and they say that the drug controls the androgens and that taken for a long time, it can cause you to be steril. That kinda scares me. My mom has wanted me to go on anti-depressant drugs for a while. Mostly to get mind out of the gutter and so I can concentrate on college. I've always told her that I don't want to take pills to change parts of my mind and the way I think. What I'm wondering is if an anti-depressant drug could possibly help my acne if the acne is caused by testosterone. From my limited knowledge of anti-depressants, they calm you down by lowering your testosterone. If anti-depressants could help my acne, then I would take them and solve all my problems with one pill. Anyone have any thoughts or facts or stories about anti-depressants and acne. Or the Tretinoin questions mentioned above? Thanks for replies.

Yes ADs can help, or very possibly cure your acne, or it may make it a worse.. Everyone is different and each AD affects each person differently since each person's biochemistry is different.

Acne is caused primarily from an area of the brain called the "hypothalamus", and one main job of the hypothalamus is to regulate the pituitary gland (the body's main hormone gland located in the brain), so basically the hypothalamus regulates hormonal balance. When the hypothalamus is overworked, acne and various other medical disorders take effect. Taking an antidepressant calms an area of the brain called the "limbic system", which is where the hypothalamus is 'somewhat' located. Calming overactive metabolic activity within the limbic system helps the hypothalamus from 'overworking', therefore allowing it to do part of it's job, which is balancing and regulating hormones.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User

Interesting.

Old 12-22-2003, 05:17 PM   #6
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Does spiro make you temporarily sterile or do you run the risk of never being able to reproduce? I would never even consider the stuff if it does.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

spiro can make a male permanently steril for life if on long enough and on high enough dosage.i have been on many anti-depressants over the years and they didnt make any difference in my skin.i would like to know if someone was cured of their acne by being on an anti-depressant and what was it.spiro and other anti-androgens can work great for guys but the steril thing is why they arnt prescribed for males that much.i would rather be steril than put up with acne though.least i can have a social life.i could still have sex but not sexual intercourse.

Closed Thread