It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Which is the real culprit? Hormones vs Diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
    CursedSkin
    (male)

CursedSkin HB User
    Which is the real culprit? Hormones vs Diet

i definately think hormones play a larger role than diet...i feel that as a teen when my hormones were raging, it didnt matter what i ate, the breakouts were going to come regardless..i drank liters, gallons of water, did all that healthy stuff and still broke out as a teen...girls breakout around there periods..thats hormonal..diet may aggrevate acne to some extent, i dont know, me personally im not buying into the whole diet thing.ive also noticed if it runs in the family, there are higher instances...ive never really seen a whole entire family with clear skin, and just one person with acne..and vice versa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
    MelloVball

MelloVball HB User
    Re: Which is the real culprit? Hormones vs Diet

Hrmm...Also can't certain foods increase certain hormones in the body? I think it's both. Neither can play 100% role in it I believe. I think if we understood it well enough to explain this and to have a real debate about it, we all be much closer to curing it and not here talking about it!!!

Old 12-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #3
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

you would be surprised how many females dont know they produce testosterone.i think almost all acne is hormonal in males and females.i think both a combination of eating right and the right meds are best for your acne.my skin is still clear and non oily since going on an anti-androgen so they derm sites are right about androgens causing acne.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 PM   #4
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User

LISTEN TO DOCTORS!!! HORMONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you know for a fact some food triggers breakout, avoid it. but ppl don't starve yourselves hoping to get rid of zits. live a normal life and know that acne isnt ur fault its mostly all hormones!!!! and stick with a med too dont keep switching thatll prevent healing and keep making ya break out.
    -Livi

Old 12-22-2003, 10:38 PM   #5
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

thats great advice cici89

Old 12-23-2003, 03:54 AM   #6
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

You know, I really want the best for all of you. I wish that you could have everything that you've ever wanted, and we all can just be "happy, HEALTHY, and Clear" as I like to say it.

Unfortunately, for some of you, that isn't going to happen unless you learn to be more open minded. You can take that however you want, but please know that I'm not trying to insult ANY of you. It's just that sometimes we aren't fully aware of our options until someone else mentions them or we learn about them for ourselves. The most important advice I can give ANY of you, is to just learn to THINK outside of the Box, outside of what your peers say, and outside of what the Doctors say. LEARN for yourselves. EXPLORE for yourselves. Allow yourself to become EDUCATED, particulary about how the human body works, and you will finally UNDERSTAND!

I put hours into some of these posts. I make sure that I what I tell you is accurate and I try to find studies that I hope will prove to you that what others, including myself, are saying is true. Only to have several people that didn't even fully read it or look at the links turn around and say sometimes rather meanly, that "diet has nothing to do with acne" or that "well if that's true, than why do I have acne and my friend doesn't", etc. That's when I realize that all my hard work and concern, meant nothing because STILL some of you just don't quite "get it"

I don't know what to do. Sunfell was here and it was great. I loved that he was here answering all of your questions and that you all were so curious and now...he's gone. I know I'm not alone, but sometimes it feels almost futile to keep repeating myself, to keep fighting people that DONT want this to be true! One thing I've learned, is if someones perception or reality is against yours, you can't change it....only they can....and only when they are ready.

I care so much about all of you and I'm certain in the Real world most of us probably wouldn't get along ;-) Yet, HERE, we all stand on common ground. That ground being, we are here to ELIMINATE ACNE! So why can't we debate this politely AND intellectually? Everything that I've said to you, that others have said to you, is out there. Very little of what I tell you is a result of my current Biology studies (some comes from my psychology classes). It's actually above what they are teaching me and is something that you would learn in Med School or in Naturopathic Medical School, or in Nutrition/Dietician courses. So I'm really EXCITED to get there =)

Now, that's not to say that my education has been a waste. It has broadened my horizons and ENCOURAGED me to think outside of the Box. That's why I'm so grateful that my eduction helped me understand some of the building blocks of the human body. It helped me understand why we need Insulin, Glucose, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, etc. Without a balance of ALL of things things, our bodies would start to fall apart. Brain Siezures, Heart Attacks.....even Death, can be the result, when you DENY your body the RIGHT tools it needs to FUNCTION Properly.

Keeping with this same thought, go without food for weeks, and your body will start to shut down. Females will start to loose their hair and their menstrual cycles will cease. You will become weaker, loosing fat, muscle mass, bone density, and energy. But hey....you'll probably have clear skin!

Ok, Bad joke, but isn't that sort of true. How many of you have noticed that when you don't eat as much or at all, maybe due to illness, your skin behaves more??? Well, first of all I AM not Advocating starvation, NEVER in this lifetime, but there's a reason that all of these things happen, when you eat, or don't eat, in this case.

That reason is, your body Can NOT function PROPERLY without FOOD! Therefore, if Food and the many nutrients it provides our bodies are required to ensure that the above HORMONAL PROCESSES are working, what is it exactly that makes you think that is has NOTHING to do with our Hormones and Acne again???????

Now, notice I said nothing about an Allergic Reaction or even an Intolerant Reaction, those can affect some of us as well, but that is not what I mainly discuss when I mention how our diets affect our hormones. So put that aspect aside and just think about Diet and Hormones. Think about the fact that you need cholesterol to produce steriod hormones. You know the hormones that we like to refer to as Estrogens (estrodial and estrone), Progesterone, Androgens (DHT, Testosterone, DHEA, Androstendione). Now, how is that we produce Cholesterol again? Well, we need FOOD! (ok I'm being bad..sorry). The kinds of food we need are those that are going to provide our bodies with Glucose, Fats, Amino Acids, and IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor-1), among other nutrients. With these the body will create Cholesterol and of course, thanks to the IGF-1 and Insulin (needed for Glucose utlization), the body now has what it needs to either Function Normally or Abnormally

Say, did any of you check out my response to Idealist1976 on this thread [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=136366[/url] ? If not you may want to. It MIGHT help some. Now, what decides whether we are going to function normally or abnormally? Well, to brutally honest, YOU DO! Now, wait....that's not to say it's "your fault" (why do some of you come up with such negative thoughts???), it just means that either due to your Lifestyle and/or your Genetics, your body has CHOOSEN to develop the way that it has. Yeah, it kinda suxs, but that's life. It's time to face the facts and get over it, because it is NOT your fault. Yet, what you choose to do with this new found knowledge....

So anyway, I just don't understand why this subject brings in some of the highest number of views and yet still yields a nice amount of rude and negative comments? Why, do so many of you view these diet threads and then turn around and vehemently deny their validity??? Is it because you are secretly hoping it is true or because you are hoping that it isn't? I suppose whatever is neccessary to help you sleep at night but, it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Which is the Real Culprit? Hormones VS. Diet

We are going in circles here. You know the answer. If you didn't believe it, you wouldn't bother to eat all, yet you do. You understand that you NEED food in order to live. Well you need the nutrients and the metabolic effects that eating food provides you in order to grow and function properly. You know all of this so, would someone tell me what the Purpose of this thread was?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-23-2003 at 04:14 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:07 AM   #7
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

............Oh wait, it's because you don't fully understand HOW Diet could play such a role in our hormone production, particularly in terms of acne, right? Well let me tell you neither do the dermatologists, doctors, and heck even myself. There's alot to be desired (I want MORE diet & Acne studies), but based on the information that I've found, my own experiences, and others testimonies....we KNOW that there's a connection, several connections.

In fact, I've spelled it out to you so many times, that I'm sick of hearing my own self say it again and again ;-) I'll have to find that Insulin Post for ya'll in the archives, but until then, let's back up a bit. Now, when you were 6, 8, or even 10, you could eat whatever you wanted right? Now suddenly you are in your teens, going through PUBERTY, and good percentage of you are Breaking Out, yet your eating habits are still relatively the same, right? Well...think about it, you weren't going through puberty when you were 10 and that's WHY you didn't breakout out. Now that you are, say 15 and are breaking out, it's because your body has now entered into a "state of Insulin Resistance" otherwise known as.....Puberty! So what does that mean to you? Well it means that now, your body's cells are already resistant to accepting glucose (I don't know how), therefore by eating these foods, and increasingly eating MORE of certain foods, mainly High Glycemic Load Carbohydrates (but I don't carb count), and for some even Dairy, and hydrogenated oils, you have basically made this situation MUCH WORSE.

Yet, your body did this. Your body NEEDED to become Insulin Resistant in order for you to grow properly. It needed your Insulin Levels and Cholesterol Levels to Increase so that you would produce the Neccessary hormones that are required for male and female reproductive development. Once you are done going through puberty, under normal circumstances, your body will cease being Insulin Resistant. However, because those of us on a "western diet" consume beyond the average amount of carbohydrates daily, our bodies remain in a constant state of Insulin Resistance. The average amount is around 200g and by changing my diet I've lowered my carbhoydrate intake by 50% to 200 - 300g a day. Now, when you add up all the foods (based on the food pyramid), junk foods, etc that you eat daily, you should land somewhere in the 200g - 800g Carbohydrate/day, and that is TOO MUCH!

Remember how starving yourself, thus denying yourself nutrients, can cause hormonal imbalances? Well the same thing can happen if you have too much of a particular nutrient, hormone, etc. In general, having Too much of something will OVERSTIMULATE some aspect of your body, create an imbalance of some sort, and cause further problems.

Now, like I said before, your Genetics decides how your Lifestyle will effect you (you do not have to be a victim of your genetics).Therefore, because cholesterol is what produces the hormones, that might explain why some acne sufferers are underweight (body chose to create more hormones instead of fat cells). That might also explain why other acne sufferers are overweight. This can also explain why some people end up being obese, yet have clear skin (the cholesterol became fat cells). Not to mention, why some people ended up having High Blood Pressure, Hyperthyroidism, Diabetes, etc. Of course there are those that ended up having SEVERAL metabolic disorders, so we should be lucky that Hyperandrogenism (acne, hirsuitism) is all that we ended up with (or that some of you know of).

Also, I'm not saying that I guarantee you 100% that by altering your diet, you will get clear, but I've yet to come across someone that accurately followed one of the more "stricter" diets that didn't get at least 50% clear. In fact most people end up being 95% - 100% clear once they find the right Diet Combination. That really is the problem, you all think that it's a one size fits all sort of thing, and I'm not entirely certain that it is. For some of you medicine will be more powerful, for others it is Diet and/or Supplements (some of these are vital nutrients) that will be our "cure". Regardless, you won't catch me creating a thread that's arguing and putting down other medications (except antibiotics). I used them, I used the "greats" and they weren't effective enough for me. Doesn't mean they didn't work for me, they just didn't work GOOD ENOUGH.

Before I go I'll add in one more thing. I altered my diet 3 times over the past 16 years before I got it right (the fourth time). Sadly enough, all it took was some knowledge about how the body works to finally hit it on the nail (can't cry over the past). So "if at first you don't succeed, try try again." If you see a glimmer of hope (slight improvement), then think about what else you are eating that others of us are avoiding and see if maybe that's what's preventing you from being clear. I NEVER would have found out the truth about soda, peanuts, cherries, and bananas, had I not eliminated the GRAINS first. That's how wierd my body was. I Eliminated Chocolate and Soda for 10 years and NEVER saw difference. , but once I eliminated the gluten grains, I quickly realized how problematic the above foods were for me too (I can eat chocolate). So just because you eat something consistently, doesn't mean it's not causing you problems. In fact, some of the foods you eat on a daily basis are the ones you should think seriously about temporarily eliminating. Otherwise, You will not know 100%, unless you avoid it 100% for a few weeks.

Of course, talk to your doctor or a nutritionist before you do this, especially if you are prone to eating disorders. Plan this out, research this and think about he kinds of meals and snacks you will be eating during your Trial Peroid. This is especially important for former anorexics or anyone with an eating disorder. While I've come across some that have acheived clear skin through a Gluten Free diet or similar diet, they need specific guidelines to follow or else, they will start to worry about every little thing they eat and that's something none of you should be doing. I don't, but that's just me again. I'm like a kid in a candy store looking at all the NEW possibilites of foods and flavors that I can eat. To me this is exciting and instead of seeing this as some sort of punishment (good health, clear skin...hardly punishment), I wish more of you would see this as an opportuntity to expand your tastes and horizons. =)

Nighty night

Old 12-23-2003, 04:08 AM   #8
    CursedSkin
    (male)

CursedSkin HB User

hmm interesting

Last edited by CursedSkin; 12-23-2003 at 04:11 AM.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:50 AM   #9
    justaguy1

justaguy1 HB User

Just so the rest of you know, Sweetjade is not alone. I've used diet to clear acne 100%. Sweetjade knows exactly what she is talking about and you would do well to listen to her (if you want clear skin that is)

The thing is, those of us with clear skin tend to LEAVE THE ACNE FORUMS! Strange isn't it?

You all are extremely lucky to have sweetjade here providing you with some information that you can't get anywhere else.

Try thinking for yourselves rather than some nonsense from a derm that "food doesn't cause acne"

Old 12-23-2003, 07:52 AM   #10
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justaguy1
    Just so the rest of you know, Sweetjade is not alone. I've used diet to clear acne 100%. Sweetjade knows exactly what she is talking about and you would do well to listen to her (if you want clear skin that is)

The thing is, those of us with clear skin tend to LEAVE THE ACNE FORUMS! Strange isn't it?

You all are extremely lucky to have sweetjade here providing you with some information that you can't get anywhere else.

Try thinking for yourselves rather than some nonsense from a derm that "food doesn't cause acne"
    Hey justaguy,
    do you mind telling us about your diet?
    Thanks!

Old 12-23-2003, 08:08 AM   #11
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

Hi Sweetjade,
    Everything you write in all of your posts about the acne, diet, insulin, hormone connection make pefect sense.
    I'm curious about something though. You say you avoid cherries, soda, bananas, etc. But do you avoid carbs or dairy or anything like that, or just those things you listed? Because if avoiding just things like cherries and soda cleared your acne, that would seem to suggest some sort of allergy rather than insulin resistance I would think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:08 AM   #12
    justaguy1

justaguy1 HB User

Sure.

First, I eliminated the known culprits.

-No dairy.
    -No hydrogenated oils (fried foods) <--- always avoid these
    -No white bread and white rice

These are the big 3 in my opinion that should be cut out for anyone who has acne. it is possible that another food could cause you even worse problems, for example sweetjade I know has problems with cherries and bananas, but bananas were and are one of the things I eat quite a bit and have no problems with.

I did this for about a month and saw a significant reduction in breakouts, but I wasn't healing as fast as I wanted.

I then started doing mini fasts. I would stop eating at 6pm one day, not eat the entire next day, and then resume eating on the following morning. This is not easy if you have never done it before, but after a while of this better diet + fasting, it becomes very easy.

These fasts put your body into healing mode. Your body has 2 modes of operation. One is the digestive mode, while food is in your system. Which for most people occurs all day long and only stops at some point for a few hours in the night. The other mode is the healing mode which occurs once food is out of your system. Your body then begins to heal as fast as it can - repairing everything.

All the years of very little healing make it difficult to clear acne while eating. You can significantly increase the rate at which your acne heals by NOT eating.
    In between these mini fasts, I ate primarily fruits and vegetables. More fruits than vegetables. Lots of oranges, bananas, apples, celery, carrots. After doing this a month, I was 95% clear.

This kind of diet is hard to stay on for any length of time let me assure you, especially if you are still with your parents (which i was), who think you are going to die.

Do you lose weight on this? Yes, I lost about 15 pounds. Not good for a guy. But I'll talk about that more in a second.

So then I started adding back in foods that wouldn't cause acne. I can eat all meat, potatoes, natural peanut butter, and lots more "normal" foods. One thing I did find is I am definitely allergic to wheat. So that means I rarely eat bread at all anymore.

After I started back up on these foods, I gained back 8 pounds in a week. I'm currently working on a program where weight gain/muscle gain is optimal, along with no acne. I'm not far away from completing that, and when I do, it will be made available.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-23-2003, 10:47 AM   #13
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

SweetJade, I think it takes time for people to come around to the idea that diet plays such a major role in our skin's appearance. I've only frequented these boards for over a month but it's taken me that long to face facts and modify my diet. I haven't eaten anything except fruit and vegetables and meat for the past three days and yesterday I embarked on a 3-day crash course of the Perricone diet. I've bought his book "Dr. Nicholas Perricone's Programme" only yesterday evening and I've read half of it (100 pages - and I *never* read books). All of what he says about imflammatory foods makes sense to me and all of a sudden I really don't want to eat anything remotely sugary again.

Even since reading that grapes are highly glycemic I couldn't eat a single one, and I love them. Good skin is all I want in my life right now. I've sunk really low this year and I know that improving my skin and getting my self-esteem back is the only way forward for me. That's what motivates me when I'm eating egg and salmon and other foods that I really dislike. I agree that people ought to be more receptive to all your helpful information. It's just so obvious - as I said on another thread, "you are what you eat."

It's no good saying "well, Joe Bloggs doesn't have acne and he eats fried doughnuts dipped in chocolate sauce" because Mother Nature isn't fair like that. Just as some people suffer diabetes others suffer acne. It's a lottery and unfortunately for us we were holding the "winning" tickets. Take control is what I say!! Btw, do we know what happened to sunfell? Did the moderators not like him for some reason?

Last edited by jhart999; 12-23-2003 at 04:35 PM.

Old 12-23-2003, 10:52 AM   #14
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

By the way, justaguy carrot is considered a no-no by Perricone (at least in its raw state). Also, I applaude your dedication and hope to say I've lasted that long, too. I've already lost a bit of weight in the bargain which is good for me 'cos I run and have been getting a bit overweight of late. I was bounding again today

Old 12-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #15
    justaguy1

justaguy1 HB User

I don't follow Perricone's diet.

And I don't believe you should avoid grapes/fruits. Those are the best things you could possibly eat.

Closed Thread