It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Tanning and Acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
    MelloVball

MelloVball HB User
    Question Tanning and Acne?

Has anyone seen a relation?

I am thinking my skin is looking better when I go tanning. I wonder if it's making my topicals more drying and helping.

And has anyone put the lotion stuff on their face? I want to put it on, it helps my body become darker, and I want my face to match, but I am scared of breaking out!! Is there special stuff for face?

Any info about tanning and acne I would love to hear! Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
    matahari

matahari HB User
    Re: Tanning and Acne?

Do you tan in the sun or in tanning beds?

I have been tanning in beds for the last two summers and I must admit that it helps alot with my acne... clears me up and fades the scars. The reason it helps out alot is because UV rays kill the bacteria on your skin. (Hospitals use UV to sterilize surgical instruments, water and the air in operating rooms because it can destroy bacteria and viruses)

Alot of people say that tanning is bad for you because it can cause cancer, premature aging, or even worsen acne. If you do it in moderation and tan in the right beds w/ the right products, I think you can avoid all of this. I tan in a high pressure bed with low UVA ( too much exposure to UVA may contribute to elastosis, or wrinkling of the skin), really gentle facial lamps and I only tan 4 months out of the year. Drink lots of water and keep your skin hydrated with a good lotion to put back the moister that tanning takes away.

I would be really careful if you are using topicals and tanning. Many topicals can make you photosensitive. Combined with certain photosensitizing agents, UV can cause severe burns and toxic reactions. Check your labels and ask your doctor. I know when I was on Retin-A, the first thing my doctor warned me about was sun & UV exposure while using it.

As for putting the lotion on your face, I don't recommend it... it will make all hell break loose on your face if your acne prone. There are tanning products out there for your face, I use one by CalTan. I don't recommend that you tan your face as long and as much as you tan your body. Your face will tan much faster than the rest of you and too much exposure can have adverse effects (excessive dryness, aggravated acne due to excess sebum production, darkening of acne scars & premature aging.)

Like I said, tanning can be very beneficial as long as you are careful and do it in moderation.

Old 12-23-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

The thing about exposing yourself to UV light is that it promotes free radicals under the surface and they're responsible for your skin not repairing itself properly. Don't do it - it'll make things worse in the long-run. I learnt the hard way

Old 12-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #4
    matahari

matahari HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhart999
    The thing about exposing yourself to UV light is that it promotes free radicals under the surface and they're responsible for your skin not repairing itself properly. Don't do it - it'll make things worse in the long-run. I learnt the hard way

Air pollution and cigarette smoking are the major sources of free radicals. Our bodies immune system also uses free radicals to kill microbes It seems like there is no way to avoid them.

People are going to tan whether its safe of not. But I think that tanning in these high tech beds is a whole lot safer than tanning in the sun because of the ever thinning ozone layer and the atmospheres inability to block the intensity of UVs. At least with the beds you know what your getting.

Anywho, just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #5
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Yes, smoking releases trillions of free radicals in each inhalation. But I hope nobody here is silly enough to smoke And, in the UK at least, there was a big undercover investigation that proved that the tanning companies advise their customers to spend way too much time under the lamps. The ozone layer isn't "ever-thinning" (it's a concern that's dropped off a lot in the last decade since scientists overestimated the effects of their early observations), and natural sunlight IS safer than UV lamplight according to most professionals in the field. Of course, this also just my opinion - not looking to start a fight

Old 12-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Sunbeds definitely do keep acne UNDER CONTROL however if you stop using them your acne will come back.

The main problem with this issue is that using sunbeds solves one problem (acne) but will probably create a HUGE problem in the long run (i.e. cancer). The reason why people think it is "safe" to use them is because there have been very few studies that actually prove that skin cancer can be caused by sunbeds. And this is obviously because sunbeds are relatively new and cancer can take many years to develop so we will have to wait some time to see if any evidence emerges. IMO there will be alot.

Light from sunbeds is DEFINITELY not better than the light from the sun. The fact that 10 minutes on a sunbed is equivalent to 4 hours in natural sunlight merely underlines their potency. At least with natural sunlight alot of the intensity can be filtered out via the clouds, ozone layer etc. But with sunbeds you are basically sitting inside a microwave getting fried for 10 minutes at ONE constant intensity which is not good.

I say all this negative stuff about sunbeds but I really to use them because I know it is the only thing that will actually give me clear skin (and we hardly get any sunlight in the U.K.). But I really don't want skin cancer and I really don't want anymore sun spots which are virtually permanent.

I spoke to my derm about this and he advised me that you should only use sunbeds if you NEED to look good for a special occasion e.g. a marriage. But warned me that you should not exceed having 10 SESSIONS each year. I am amazed Matahari that you have 4 months worth...I just hope they are in fact low intensity lightbulbs.

But I was wondering:

- I use 5% Benzoyl Peroxide cream on my face each night, does anyone know if this causes photosensitivity of the skin? I haven't read anywhere but just want to make sure.
    - Can you use suncreams that you would buy for the beach for any sessions on sunbeds? I have heard that you need to buy specific sunbed suncreams, is this true?
    - Is it ok to wearing contact lenses while on sunbeds (making sure those protective goggles are used aswell)?
    - If you just want to tan your face, can you lie on the sunbed with all your clothes on?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
    matahari

matahari HB User

First off, I never said that tanning should be used as a cure for acne and thats not the reason I do it. I only realized this after it cleared me up. And Yes... I tan 4 months at a time and I'm perfectly fine and my skin is still beautiful and always will be (but of course you'll say different). Its not like I go sit and "fry" myself (as you say) everyday for 4 months. I only tan 2-3 times a week for 15 minutes (if that) and get the ****** tan to get really dark. ****** Tan is the DHA airbrush tan that dyes your skin... I'm sure that you'll say that causes cancer too. I've done my fair share of research on the subject, so you can say what you will .

Old 12-23-2003, 06:20 PM   #8
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Neca, some salons have individual face tanners. But don't do it, man. You've documented the facts yourself. Acne is a real bummer, but that's all - it's not life threatening or directly harmful to quality of life like skin cancer. Find a maintainable solution to fighting acne. It's for the best. As I said a while ago, I spent hundreds of pounds in nearly a year's tanning on sunbeds and I regret it deeply That's all I'm going to say on this matter now.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
    MelloVball

MelloVball HB User

Hey everyone, thank you for the great responses! I tan really minimally too, I just want some color, and I know the damage it can do, but also it is a controlled environment (sun makes me sleep easily, I can't explain how many times I have fallen asleep outside and completely fried!) I am using topicals from my dermo, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems with my skin, the only weird thing is I get blochy white spots (which I did have before I started tanning)

I seem to be getting a mixed response about tanning, it does help your skin, but in the long run I don't want to look like leather either. It seems to really help dry up my skin (the topical's job which seem to not dry it up as much anymore) and make my skin darker, which helps eliminate my scars.

For some reason though, someone said your face tans faster, but from my chest up tans way slower. Otherwise I would just cover my face majority of the time.

And for the questions asked, I don't believe tanning with contacts is more damaging or anything, if you have the goggles on. To me though, because I have horrible eye problems, it really dries my eyes out (I don't blink as much I think)

Again, thank you everyone for your responses!

Old 01-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #10
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Everybody knows tanning beds are BAD for you... what long term effects an individual experiences varies. Some people are lucky and have "beautiful skin and always will", others will get melanoma and die. But the choice whether or not to tan is completely personal... If you want to face the risks, by all means go. If you want to suffer with acne and not go... another personal decision.

Tanning is definately a hot topic, everybody seems to have an opinion about it. But everyone needs to just LET OTHERS MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS....

Closed Thread