It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• will acne ever COMPLETELY go away?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User
    will acne ever COMPLETELY go away?

acne may go away with time if your a teenager or with medication but will the self consciousness ever go away? will we ever be able to look at our faces and not see every flaw? will we ever be able to go out without making sure our skin looks ok? i know when i was younger i never gave it a second thought will that carefreeness every come back? i am 95% clear, but it feels like i'm only 1% clear if you know what i mean
    - Olivia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 PM   #2
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User
    Re: will acne ever COMPLETELY go away?

anyone??? can anyone relate to seeing redness and zits when actually they're NOT there

Old 12-22-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

if you get social phobia it might be awhile before you adjust.why dont you get acne as a kid.......its because your sex hormones arnt kicking in yet.just dont let it scar your skin because sometimes scars are as bad as acne.your a girl and there are plenty of anti-androgens out there if you need them.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 AM   #4
    Karl2
    (male)

Karl2 HB User

I dont' think mine will ever go away, because the missed opportunities have gone - never to return.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:20 AM   #5
    CursedSkin
    (male)

CursedSkin HB User

i think we all see our skin worse than what it is sometimes..unless your skin is really that bad, other people really wont notice..a few bumps and spots here and there isnt really that noticable to alot of people

but its hard for us to comprhend that because we constantly look in the mirror and see all our flaws....i dont think i will be satisfied until every square inch of my skin is clear of acne and scars...but who knows how long it will take for that to happen

i guess the best thing to do, as crazy as it sounds, is to avoid mirrors and pretend like your skin is 100 percent clear..but that is definately easier said than done

Old 12-24-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
    colleenredmond

colleenredmond HB User

I completely understand. I have been battling with cystic acne for almost 8 years and it gave me such a horrible self image that it ruined alot in my life. I also developed a disroder called CSP and body dysmorphic disorder. I have gotten to the point that I didn't leave my house really or had a job for over a year due to my acne. Just recently am looking into going back to school dispite the three or so cystic lesions on my face at a time and a daily zit. Self esteem effects alot in your life and severe acne has effected it to such an extent that I know acne has ruined alot in my life even a carrer that I had in modeling. I have been at times aversive to people and my appearance has gotten comments and stares. With this in mind, I have fears of being judged by this. A many occasions have thought of suicide due to these awful acne cysts. And I know if I am just having blackheads or clogged pores I constantly fear that they will become cysts or scars cause at least three of them a month do. I at times get can't sleep cause I am afraid of what will happen overnight or my face just hurts too much.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
    Arkus

Arkus HB User

I'm 29 and still struggle with it although medications do help out a lot!

Colleenredmond, you're from Buena Park too? I grew up there

Old 12-29-2003, 08:06 AM   #8
    colleenredmond

colleenredmond HB User

yep the joy of orange county. Still live with parents cause acne has made me too self consious to go to interviews but am looking for work and want to go back to school regardless now. A year is too long avoiding people cause of acne.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arkus
    I'm 29 and still struggle with it although medications do help out a lot!

Colleenredmond, you're from Buena Park too? I grew up there

Old 12-29-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
    T-zone

T-zone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by colleenredmond
    yep the joy of orange county. Still live with parents cause acne has made me too self consious to go to interviews but am looking for work and want to go back to school regardless now. A year is too long avoiding people cause of acne.
    I'm worse than the lot of you because I have better skin than most people, I haven't had anything deeper than a normal small spot since I made large changes to my diet yet I often go to war on something as small as a blocked pore and BOOM, I will make a big red area and not want anyone to see me. I need my hands tied behind my back or something. Ironic that I have the self control not to eat even 1 sweet or 1 slice of bread for over 6 months but I can't not attack the smallest of imperfection knowing it always makes it worse.

A New years resolution is in order I think

However, you can definately get over it, it only takes time.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:06 PM   #10
    jess1984

jess1984 HB User

[QUOTE=T-zone] What is the diet that you are so strict with, can you give me a few details...im really intersted...thanks so much

Old 12-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #11
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Yes, acne can go away in time and you have a beautiful complexion.

Remember, never "look" for flaws or you just might see one or two whether they are real or imaginary. Once your face clears, be thankful and appreciate it to the fullest. Think positive!!

Wake up with a smile, smile all day and go to sleep with a smile!! Does wonders for you in general. People are beautiful from the inside out!

I doubt there is a person on earth that does not have a flaw or at least one they think is there. After all, we live in the world and our enviroment is not always condusive to a great complexion.

After my complexion cleared I enjoyed several years of being complimented on my great complesion, but, it soon came to a halt, Rosacea showed up on the scene. Now I battle not only the Rosacea which there is no cure but also Rosacea in eyelids causing Belpharitis (inflammation/infection of eyelids), no cure.

Treatments for acne in earlier years damaged my thyroid and caused radiation damage to face. I am now borderline maximum rads radiation on face. Be careful what you use to control or cure acne or you may end up 40 years down the road with damage you did not realize would happen as a result of the treatment for acne.

Remember that various light treatments are still "radiation" but may be in lesser amounts than x-ray treatments. It is the "total" radiation recieved over your life that does the damage when repeated in one area over and over again. The sun adds damage also as well as tanning beds.

Old 12-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #12
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

did you recieve x ray treatments? Is this what damaged your thyroid or medicines? I wonder if you could sue. Those x ray treatments were abolished years ago, or so I thought? And I thought they were supposed to give you iodine as a precaution against thyroid disease from radiation?

Last edited by prometheus; 12-29-2003 at 03:58 PM.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #13
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    did you recieve x ray treatments? Is this what damaged your thyroid or medicines? I wonder if you could sue. Those x ray treatments were abolished years ago, or so I thought? And I thought they were supposed to give you iodine as a precaution against thyroid disease from radiation?

Yes, it was x-ray treatment and not medication. Had x-ray treatment for acne back if the 1950's before they knew the consequences.

No, they did not give idoine at that time. In fact they did not use lead shield to protect the thyroid or other parts of body/arms, etc. They did use lead shields over eyes. My skin felt/sounded like frying bacon at time of treatments. I also now have skin cancers removed off and on and feel sure the x-ray treatment scattered rays help to cause them.

The doctor I used back then died many years ago.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:09 PM   #14
    cici89
    (female)

cici89 HB User

its just my skin probly looks really really good but i don't think i'll ever c it that way because every flaw i'll magnify like 100x, u knoe?

Old 12-29-2003, 09:57 PM   #15
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Wow thank you for the warning, Marie, as it definitely extends to other treatments. We should especially be wary of new treatments for any ailments.

Yea, I think we all do that, Cici.

Closed Thread