It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• been taking Retin-A (cream, 4months now), just given doxcycline, have questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
    orange

orange HB User
    been taking Retin-A (cream, 4months now), just given doxcycline, have questions

I've been on Retin-A cream (.05%) for 4 months now, started taking it back in the early month of September. It doesn't seeem to be doing much (not really sure), and i went back to the dermatologist after 3 months (for check up to see if its working/ not working) and my dermatoligist gave me doxycycline (antibiotic i believe) pill to take twice a day along with my Retin-A cream. Now i'm on Retin-A and just started taking doxycycline antibiotic pill (started taking the anti-biotic pill back in late december). AT first my dermatologist wanted me to take both the Retin-A cream and the antibiotic concurrently, but i asked if it was necessary and she just said it would help but not too much. So i declined and only took the Retin-A cream (at first) and i was also afraid of the horror stories of pills (for acne, so i decided on the cream only). For four motnhs, it didn't seem to do much, the Retin-A, but make me break out more, major skin peeling, and i seem to have scars or red blemishes on my cheeks. But now i'm on my 4th month and the major red blemishes aren't as bad (still there, but not as bad as the 2nd month of using the cream), so i assume does that mean its finally working? But when i went back in December (3months on Retin-a) my dermatologist told me to continue taking hte Retin-A and told me to take the anti-biotics she recommended back when i first was given the prescription for my Retin-a (so now i'm on Retin-A [4 months now] and Doxycycline [2 weeks]). So my question is will this ocmbo work? i'm afraid i might be wasting my time on this, although i should give the antibiotics (doxycycline a chance, 3 months). Your thoughts? My dermatologist believes that the REtin-A is working, it sjust that its taking longer and most of the effects/benefits so far are under my skin and the antibiotics will help clear the top of my skin and help give time for the Retin-A to show its effects on the top of my skin (not sure if thats exactly what she meant or said).

Last edited by orange; 01-05-2004 at 10:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
    lazloe

lazloe HB User
    Re: been taking Retin-A (cream, 4months now), just given doxcycline, have questions

My dermatologist has been pressuring me to start using an antibiotic for my skin ever since I started to go see her.

How has your antibiotic use ben? is REtin-A an antibiotic? I'm really skeptical about taking antibiotics for pimples.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
    orange

orange HB User
    Re: been taking Retin-A (cream, 4months now), just given doxcycline, have questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lazloe
    My dermatologist has been pressuring me to start using an antibiotic for my skin ever since I started to go see her.

How has your antibiotic use ben? is REtin-A an antibiotic? I'm really skeptical about taking antibiotics for pimples.
    Well the retin-A one i'm taking is a cream. I've been on it four months, and it mighjt just maybe starting to work. I'll have to give it time, but in the mean time i was also given Doxycycline (antibiotic) which i've been on for almost 2 weeks ago. So i'm on Retin-a (4months now) and Doxycycline (2 weeks), hopefully taking these two concurrently will improve my situation as my dermatologist suggested.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
    Vortex773310
    Veteran
    (male)

Vortex773310 HB User

i dont like Retina i found it messed my skin up within weeks..i didnt overuse it, it was my skin type..just too sensitive..i was on tetrocycline at the same time(oral antibiotics), this prevented breakouts with me no matter what i ate..but meh, i prefer to use over the counter stuff..its weaker yeah, but doesnt wreck my skin.

Closed Thread