It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How many people out there are thin and have acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
    Karl2
    (male)

Karl2 HB User
    How many people out there are thin and have acne?

I want to tentatively apologize for this thread, to all those who may deem it to be a little misguided. I was just thinking back to 1-2 weeks ago when some of the girls on this board were jokingly competing as to who was the thinest. I have always thought there was some sort of connection (even if only partial) between being underweight and having acne. Of course, there are many people out there who are thin and have flawless skin, and conversly, there are overweight people out there who have acne prone skin. Despite all of this, it just seems to me that many people afflicted with acne, particurlarly, the more severe, are quite thin. I haven't really noticed any theories explicitly highlight this link on this board. If people would care to indulge me, I would like to turn this thread into a makeshift registry recording this possible link. Of course, no one is obligated to participate, and no one has to be specific, if they choose not to be.
    If you would prefer only reply thin/not thin with acne, and that will be enough.

My stats are weight: 125.685; height 5.67. At its worst my acne was 3-5 cysts a week.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Karl2; 01-10-2004 at 01:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User
    Re: How many people out there are thin and have acne?

I'm 6 foot 3 and weigh 160 pounds. I've had moderate to severe acne since age 12 and I'm now almost 20.

Old 01-10-2004, 02:52 AM   #3
    22Girl

22Girl HB User

I'm 23 (female) with moderate acne (for 10 years). I'm 5'5" (166cm) and weigh 59kg (about 120 pounds). Up until 6 months ago I only weighed 48kg (100 pounds) and had been that way since I stopped growing.
    I used to eat heaps and try so hard to gain weight coz I hated being skinny but no matter how hard I tried I wouldn't put on any weight. Until 6 months ago when all of a sudden my metabolism must have slowed down because I've gained nearly 20 pounds, but sadly to say my acne didn't improve. I was sure there was a connection and when I started gaining weight I though for sure my acne would clear up

Old 01-10-2004, 04:09 AM   #4
    nomoreacne
    Inactive

nomoreacne HB User

I'm 5 ft 7 inches tall and weigh 49 kgs. I've always been thin. I'm also small boned.There is no way (apart from the contraceptive pill) that I can put on weight. So now I've accepted myself the way I am.
    My acne ranged from cystic to mild.
    I'm 34 years old and have been acne free for 4 months now.

I

Old 01-10-2004, 07:07 AM   #5
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I weigh 154 pounds (70kg) and I am 6 foot tall. I have been this tall for about three years now. But I used to weigh about 168 pounds (over 76kg) around that time, too. I suppose a stone isn't much difference in weight, but I have never noticed my acne fluctuating with my weight - not in the slighest. Although, I do have to agree that the majority of acne sufferers I see are thin. But I'd like to know if there's more of a psychological link here than a genetic one. When I used to weigh 12 stone I didn't like my body. I felt chubby. Of course I also had acne to put up with. But while I felt helpless to improve the acne I knew I could improve my body.

Therefore I made a big effort to lose weight (I have weighed just over 10 stone at my lightest) and then put it back on as muscle. Maybe people with acne are driven to improve their body in a bid to make themselves feel better. From another angle, maybe acne sufferers are less likely to indulge in the food that would make them a bit fatter. At times my acne has made me feel very depressed. One common symptom of depression is loss of appetite. Perhaps those thin acne sufferers are thin because they experience bouts of depression that give them a lower appetite than a happier person. Of course, these are just my personal thoughts.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 AM   #6
    Girlie19
    Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
    Smile Re: How many people out there are thin and have acne?

I'm 5'3", 102 pounds with moderate acne. I disagree with what the last poster said. I eat more than my dad lol!

Old 01-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
    Nicko12
    Inactive

Nicko12 HB User

I am pretty thin, I guess, and have acne. Not severe, but since like 2 years ago, I have had pimples, and sometimes a big breakout. I am Almost clear though, which is good. I am 5' 10'' i dunno how to write it lol, and I weigh 130 pounds, but sometimes I loose weight and go down to 125 pounds, but my average im usually at 130, or between 120 - 130.

Nick

Old 01-10-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
    Scooterman

Scooterman HB User

This is quite strange.

I've NEVER seen ANY acne or complexion problems with people who are considered OBESE. I know several and they all have absolutely flawless skin.

Most of my simply overweight friends have pretty nice and clear skin as well.

It does seem like acne affects thinner people the most. I wonder why that is???

Old 01-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
    TabbyDog
    (female)

TabbyDog HB User

I'm relatively thin with moderate acne that has pretty much cleared up (besides the nasty scars) my friends who are about average weight seem to have flawless skin.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
    Shy One
    (female)

Shy One HB User

I'm 5'7 and 120 lbs. I've always been really thin.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #11
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

5'5" 115lbs. When I had acne I weighed 125lbs.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #12
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

im 5' 7'' and 155 lbs but did weight 178 a year and a half ago before i went on spiro and was on paxil.still i look like heidi klum with a bigger mid section and im a guy.now i went on this low carb diet i will probably weight 135 lbs by the end of next year.by the way my skin is still all clear......over 15 months now and its actually getting a little drier.

Old 01-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #13
    Karl2
    (male)

Karl2 HB User

Joeh....I was under the impression that you were thinner than what you just revealed. I'm glad you're on the low carb thing.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

Last edited by Karl2; 01-10-2004 at 10:19 PM.

Old 01-10-2004, 10:55 PM   #14
    hancho

hancho HB User

i'm 6 feet 160 lbs.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:47 AM   #15
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

Yes I definitely agree that acne seems to hit thin ppl more. As well as males it hits more.

Soooo, thin male = bad combo

Closed Thread