It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Eastern view of the cause of acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
    margirl

margirl HB User
    Eastern view of the cause of acne

Traditional Chinese Practitioners (herbalists, acupuncturists) describe acne as "yang rising" which, in very simple terms, means that heat from the organs is rising to the face. Along with acne sometimes comes emotional imbalances, hormonal imbalances, etc. because of this "heat". While I would most certainly recommend acupuncture to anyone with acne (our acupuncturist completely cleared my sister's skin), I realize that it's expensive and not always easy to find a skilled acupuncturist. But that doesn't mean that one can't heal themselves with chinese herbs. It just taked an understanding of the real CAUSE of acne. I wish we could post links on these boards, but since we can't, I strongly recommend searching some of these terms with your search engine:

tcm (tcm stands for traditional chinese medicine) acne

liver heat acne

acupuncture acne

Take care,
    Margirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User
    Re: Eastern view of the cause of acne

They're right in a literal way - it's the result of male hormones.
    And my accupuncturist did say I had a "liver fire," now that I think about it.

Last edited by Crossbow; 02-02-2004 at 11:30 AM.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Good advice

Old 04-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
    njlarkin
    (male)

njlarkin HB User

Hey margirl-

I'm glad to hear that your sister was helped by an acupuncturist

I also have read a lot about TCM and think it has merit. My question is, how long/how many treatments did your sister have to get before she was clear? I'm currently seeing an acupuncturist and have been 6 times, to which I would say there is mild improvement. Apparently my Chi is weak though so they need to build that up first, which can take a while.

Any info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
    margirl

margirl HB User

Njlarkin,
    I'm glad to hear that you are seeing improvement from acupuncture, even if it is just mild right now. My sister had to go every week for about 3 months before her skin really began to clear. It was very gradual, and she was getting frustrated that it wasn't working faster, but healing takes time.

Also, if your chi is weak, it is absolutely necessary to build your strengh before you can eliminate the acne. Clearing skin is a purgative process, and you must have a strong constitution before you can be "purged" of the heat that causes acne. It sounds like you've found a great acupuncturist.
    Best of health!

Margirl

Old 04-06-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
    njlarkin
    (male)

njlarkin HB User

Hey margirl-

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, I really appreciate it.

That's good to hear, as my acupuncturist said it could take around 3 months. I've also been going every week.

They actually gave me ear studs this week which I have to rub three times a day so that I can stimulate those points in the ear daily.

Yes, I really like the people who are treating me. They have known my name since the first time I went in and are very nice. I like the whole TCM approach as opposed to the western approach of slapping creams on there or taking antibiotics and hoping it will "go away" eventually.

Thanks margirl, your input it greatly appreciated.

-nj

Old 04-10-2004, 06:49 AM   #7
    shisimagum

shisimagum HB User

I am chinese, and i dont' believe in those internal heat that they say we have. When i was little, my parents are like dont' eat this and dont' eat that because it has alot of "heat", and you are going to get a fever or the cough or pee yellow. I mean, i am talking food like oranges, anything fried or grilled, peanuts, chips. It is totally ridicules. Now my mom is trying to get me to drink herbel tea to "cool me down" so i can get rid of my acne. It doesn't work. I just don't believe in eastern medicine.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:50 AM   #8
    shisimagum

shisimagum HB User

Maybe your sister's skin cleared up because acupunture improved her circulation.

Old 04-10-2004, 07:56 AM   #9
    njlarkin
    (male)

njlarkin HB User

shisimagum,

I can understand why you feel this way, but I think I'm going to stick it out for now. Obviously it worked for Margirl's sister, so it does work for some people. I'm a little over a month into my treatments and margirl's sister took 3 months. My acupuncturist also said it could take 3 months, so I'm going to at least go that long.

I've tried the western approach for about 15 years now (I'm going to be 27 tomorrow, and still have acne, so don't believe that you'll "grow out of it"), and nothing has worked, so I figure I have nothing to lose.

Regards,
    nj

Old 04-12-2004, 11:57 AM   #10
    njlarkin
    (male)

njlarkin HB User

Hey Margirl-

Just wondering, did your sister have oily skin, and if so did the acupuncture cause that to subside, or did it just cause the acne to stop?

Thanks,
    Nick

Old 04-12-2004, 01:16 PM   #11
    margirl

margirl HB User

Nick,

My sister had combination skin, meaning it was oily in some parts and in others very dry and flaky (probably from all the salicylic acid she was using to try to get rid of the oiliness). In any case, acupuncture did even the oiliness out, as well as get rid of the acne. Because the treatment is internal, rather than external, eliminating oiliness is done naturally, rather than drying out the skin with topical creams. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #12
    njlarkin
    (male)

njlarkin HB User

hey margirl -

As you can tell, I'm real busy at work today, based on my turbo reply .

Regarding the oilyness, I figured as much, but I just wanted to check. I do have high hopes that this will work because as you said, it treats the root cause. I don't know if you saw my previous post, but I've been going the "western" route for long enough. I just had my seventh treatment last Sat, so I still have some time left to go. Thanks again for your input, it definately helps me keep my head up.

-nj

Old 04-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #13
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

Hi Margirl,
    Just wondering how long/how often your sister had accupuncture before her acne went away? Does she have to keep going for maintanence?
    thanks.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #14
    njlarkin
    (male)

njlarkin HB User

Hey erica-

I asked margirl the same question actually ... it was once a week for about 3 months before she saw herself clearing. I'm not sure about maintainance. I'm actually going through it right now, I've had seven treatments. Let me know if you have any questions about what I've experienced so far ... FYI my acupuncturist said about 3 months as well

-nj

Old 04-12-2004, 07:19 PM   #15
    erica1213
    (female)

erica1213 HB User

Thanks nj! I'd really appreciate it if you'd keep me updated on any progress/lack of. This is something I'm interested definately interested in. Besides the obvious motivation of clear skin I'm also sort of curious about the whole thing anyway

Closed Thread