It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• quick bread question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
    usedtobewantsittoend
    (male)

usedtobewantsittoend HB User
    quick bread question

i just have a quick bread question. should eating 12 grain bread be ok? it has 24 carbs a serving. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #2
    usedtobewantsittoend
    (male)

Re: quick bread question

somebody must have an opinion.....

Old 02-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

OK for what?

Old 02-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
    usedtobewantsittoend
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    OK for what?
    for whether it is ok or not to eat 12 grain bread. i know that bread generally isn't a good idea but maybe 12 grain is less processed/more natural, whatever.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

It's probably about the same as any other bread. The highest-fiber bread I've found is "Healthy Choice" 7-grain bread.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #6
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by usedtobewantsittoend
    for whether it is ok or not to eat 12 grain bread. i know that bread generally isn't a good idea but maybe 12 grain is less processed/more natural, whatever.

Here's a tip: Make sure that the bread you are eating is whole grain. Do this by reading the ingredients and ensuring that they didn't use any dyes on your bread.

If you must have wheat bread, I would suggest eating bread that is the most nutritionally sound. Generally we eat grains before they are ripe, as in they are unsprouted. This causes problems because as you may have learned, most plants and animals have their own defense mechanisms. Well in the case of grains (and legumes and mangos), they contain what are considered "anti-nutrients." Basically what that means is that in order to prevent the grain from sprouting in an unhospitable environment, it contains phytic acid to prevent nutrient release as well as their digestion. Interestingly enough, what this does is stop our body's carbohydrate enzymes (amylase, maltase) from digesting it (since it's a carbohydrate)....lol.

Of course, the USDA knows all about this, that may be why they feed us refined/stripped food (fear of sprouts) that supposedly have these anti-nutrients deactivated. So there is one benefit to eating processed food and that is because it's enriched/fortified with nutrients (minus the antinutrients). However, Stripped grains, can't replace the fiber, and they still spike our insulin levels too much (particularly wheat). Therefore, purchase SPROUTED GRAIN BREAD =)

A really popular brand is Food For Life and you can find this at your local Health/Natural Food Store and perhaps at your regular grocery stores. They should be in the freezer aisle unless the bread is coming from a factory near by. I know that my Albertson's sells one brand as does Sun Harvest. You can get this in sprouted Wheat combinations or sprouted Gluten Free versions.

Also, I know some people that are avoiding wheat and gluten are (occasionally) consuming small amounts of Spelt. (sprouted) Spelt is a wheat derivative, but it's the popular choice in organic breads, pastas etc (some claim to be no wheat) and is even used as THE grain in the Zone Diets meal program (another low carb diet). I have NO experience with this grain, but I've heard it's tastier and I'm assuming it must be "safer" than eating the other forms of gluten. (unless you're a celiac)

HTH

P.S. I don't carb count but you should subract the Fiber grams from the total amount of carbs, in this case 24g, to get your NET carb count. That would be the amount of carbs you are consuming. The average person needs around 200g (I consume 200g - 300g), but most people consume up to 800g or more!!!

Old 02-04-2004, 08:28 AM   #7
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Just wanted to add that for those of us who can't eat wheat for whatever reason (gluten intolerance or allergy) sprouted wheat and spelt are just as bad for us as regular wheat is.

Also, fiber is important whether you're counting carbs or not, so you should always look at the nutritional information for that. Most breads only have 1 or two grams of fiber. The highest I've seen is 5. I believe the USRDA is 15 or something, but most nutritionists will say you should have at least 25.

Also ... what does this have to do with acne, anyway?

Last edited by Crossbow; 02-04-2004 at 08:28 AM.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    Just wanted to add that for those of us who can't eat wheat for whatever reason (gluten intolerance or allergy) sprouted wheat and spelt are just as bad for us as regular wheat is.

Also, fiber is important whether you're counting carbs or not, so you should always look at the nutritional information for that. Most breads only have 1 or two grams of fiber. The highest I've seen is 5. I believe the USRDA is 15 or something, but most nutritionists will say you should have at least 25.

Also ... what does this have to do with acne, anyway?

Well, where have you been hiding???? ;-)

Gluten and Carbs have to do with acne because these are what aggrevates our hormones and causes us to have acne (OR other health problems). I personally don't consume Sprouted Wheat or Spelt and I know that Celiacs also find this to be unacceptable. I was offering the suggestion to the above poster as a compromise to eliminating (wheat) bread entirely. The way it goes is:

Refined/Processed Grains - Highest of Insulin Spikes

Whole Grains - 2nd highest (generally a variety of Wheat grains)

Sprouted Grains - 3rd highest (?)

Gluten Free Grains - Low Insulin Spikes (even if refined or sprouted)

NO Grains - Lowest of Insulin Spikes

Most of us have found that we need to go Gluten Free - No Grain in order to get 95% - 100% clear skin. Then if we aren't 100%, we find that by eliminating one or ALL of the below foods:

ALL Dairy
    Hydrogenated Oils
    Peanuts
    Cashews, Pistachios (maybe mangos)
    Bananas

There's a few other options, but usually that should do the trick =)

Of course Fiber is VERY important. I just didn't want this poster to count the fiber as part of his (?) Daily Carb load, otherwise he'll be eating a few less carbs than he really can ;-)

You're a Celiac, so what exactly are you doing for your acne? I asked this on another post, so I'm curious as to how it's helped your skin. I know some people that discovered they were Celiacs eliminated Gluten and their skin improved. Other Celiacs found that they had to eliminate Corn as well, before they got clear. So what are you experiences?

Thanxs

Old 02-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #9
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

SweetJade1 -

Technically, I'm not a Celiac. Not according to the GI doctor, anyway. I'm also not technically allergic to anything. I avoid wheat and oats because they're really hard for me to digest - they sit in my stomach like rocks for several hours, and then give me painful gas later. I'm calling it "gluten intolerance" for simplicity. Could be "Silent Celiac," who knows. For whatever reason, grains are bad for me.

My skin has been quite a bit worse since I cut out grains back in July, actually. Could be the reduction in fiber has to do with that. I should get back on the fiber supplements. (Yuck.) I haven't eliminated corn.

I don't eat nuts very often. I try to avoid partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (I didn't know it was bad for the skin - it just scares me in general), I don't really like bananas, and I love mangoes but you can only get them very rarely where I live; I probably eat 2 or 3 a year. I do eat a lot of dairy - when I tried cutting down I got really bad cramps, even if I take calcium.

In general, I try to confine my diet to meat, fruit, and vegetables, but the big challenge is having no time to cook and easy access to a convenience store at work. Bad combination.

I've tried a lot of different skin care products and cutting things out of my diet, but so far the only thing that's worked for sure is NOT TOUCHING MY FACE. Which is really, really hard. Not just hard not to pick at the zits themselves, but hard not to tough my face just as a nervous habit, or rest my chin in my hands. Antidepressants help control the nervous habit part.

Last edited by Crossbow; 02-05-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
    Vortex773310
    Veteran
    (male)

Vortex773310 HB User

i have never had a problem with bread, white or brown, but i do believe excessive ammounts of dairy can be negative for your skin, breads containing less dairy(mainly brown) would be more beneficial, but watch out for presarvatives and other artificials, try to eat organic

Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #11
    zahradream
    (male)

zahradream HB User
    Wink Re: quick bread question

I agree with all of you, no bananas, no mangoes. They are known to have an inflammatory effect. I have cut out gluten (wheat products) completely but my acne has gotten a bit worse. Can anyone tell me why? I have no dairy except for butter with my millet breads. Maybe it'll get worse b4 it gets better???
    Do share your profound knowledge, sweetjade

Last edited by zahradream; 02-06-2004 at 01:26 AM.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:18 AM   #12
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

I don't mean to overstep Sweetjade here, as her response will be individual and informative. Zahra if your acne is getting worse we have to look at everything you are eating. It could be renewed sensitivity but I'm not willing to say it is that yet. Sometimes when we eliminate something we tend to go overboard to make up for it with other things. The millet bread..do you eat a lot of it? What else is in the millet bread? The ingredients. What foods do you eat regularly? Did you start taking any vitamins? What other foods have you cut out and what have you replaced them with? Are you eating enough? Are you eating enough vegetables?

an easy way to look at the acne cure through diet is to take everything you are cutting out and replace it with equal portions of vegetables. Of course, if you are sensitive to an item, like dairy, unless you are growing your own vegetables, eating a lot of them probably won't overtake it. Especially if it is eaten everyday. Think of it this way. If you had your own farm, and your own herd, would you eat dairy or butter everyday?

Last edited by prometheus; 02-06-2004 at 07:25 AM.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:00 AM   #13
    zahradream
    (male)

zahradream HB User

Thanks prometheus. You have a lot of knowledge. You got me thinking......I
    am eating quite a bit of millet. Its a gluten free flour, eaten by celiacs so i've heard. I decided to stop all this and go back to eating wheat and dairy but im gonna keep it to a minimum. I have lost too much weight since i've started this diet and i want to gain it back . I eat veggies but not enough and i know i dont drink enough water. Im gonna balance my life, and start excersing more. I hope it works. Im so tired.
    What do you do as far as your diet?

Old 02-08-2004, 05:18 AM   #14
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Yes but what are the other ingredients in the millet bread? The millet flour could be just as refined, nutrient stripped, processed as wheat flour. It is better because it doesn't have gluten, but who knows what else is in it and if it is eaten in abundance, then it could be a problem. It doesn't matter now though if you are going to go back to a more balanced diet. The foods I avoid are the ones I had to eliminate to get clear. What I wonder about is if the elimination of these foods is what I needed to get clear or what I needed to build the nutrition back into my body. Regardless, I avoid these foods:

Dairy in anything
    Gluten in anything
    Cooked eggs
    Grains: gluten containing, processed, refined ("White"), or enriched
    meat: luncheon meats and nonorganic meats.
    vegetable oils: heated, refined, or hydrogenated
    sugar: sucrose, high fructose corn syrup
    caffeine except green tea, alcohol

What I do eat is more fruits and green vegetables, raw nuts and raw seeds. Though the nutritionist who did my live blood screening yesterday disagreed with me. He was like "you need to eat more green vegetables." I was like "Hey Doc. It's all I eat" and then he said "That's not what your blood is telling me". Which reminds me, getting tests done to determine what your body needs so we can better supply it is necessary. You can do serum tests, but apparently these can be decieving. Have you ever done a live blood analysis?

Old 02-08-2004, 10:06 AM   #15
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Zahara,
    Hey there, Prometheus asked some good questions, but I was wondering if you could explain to us what you mean by "worse." How long have you been avoiding wheat and how long has your acne been worse? Can you describe in what way it is worse?

From my own personal experience, if you eliminate a food item, you MAY start to notice your acne is worse/more stubborn if you are eating something else that is problematic for you. Also, my acne will be more stubborn (lasting weeks) if I happen to cheat....so I don't.

Another possiblity is that you are now detoxing. This doesn't happen to everyone, but I've heard of others that altered their diet and also broke out for a little while. What you can do to reduce this is add some fiber into your diet. You arent eating Wheat, and you aren't eating many vegetables therefore you must take a Fiber Supplement AND increase your vegetable intake. I think for detoxing purposes you want to increase Insoluble fiber, right Prometheus? Yet you can get that through veggies or just buy a supplement that contains Insoluble (and soluble) fibers.

Also, can you tell us, what foods exactly you are avoiding? So far I've got:

Dairy (but eating some butter)
    Wheat
    Mangos
    Bananas

Is that correct?

What are you replacing those foods with? What are you eating now? (well before you went back to eating wheat)

Thanks

Closed Thread