It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• UPDATE: hormones, diet...my story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
    idealist1976
    Inactive

idealist1976 HB User
    UPDATE: hormones, diet...my story

hi. just wanted to give people an update on how my skin is doing (my original post from nov 2003 is below).

so it's been about 5 months since i've been on the low carb and no dairy diet and a little over 3 months on the pill. it seems to be working!!!

as soon as i started the pill i saw a difference, not a great difference but a difference in the better direction. there were times i was in such DESPAIR!!! i think it was shortly after the new year i was sooo depressed. it wasn't so much the acne (b/c it WAS better) but sticking to the low carb diet. i've always been picky eater so it was such a EVENT to figure what to eat. and then most of the time i'd still be hungry anyway. so seriously, my despair was from being so gosh-darn hungry all the time. and not knowing what to eat.

after a good long cry with my sister, i decided, screw it, i'm going back to eating SOME carbs. i haven't gone too crazy. occasionally i will have a vegetable WRAP (the wrap part being what i shouldn't eat before) and a slice a pizza. interestingly, my acne did NOT get worse (although, i do notice in increase in oil when i eat "bad" food). so i'm thinking the birth control and somewhat better diet is truly helping.

i went to an endocrinologist a few weeks ago. she said the pill takes from 3 - 6 months to help acne. so i'm at that 3 month period. and my skin is good. not great, but VERY good. i'm making an effort to learn to cook new things. i'm also creating a weekly menu for myself b/c it's the only way for me to really stick with the low carb diet.

i know many people have debated food being an acne culprit. i think for some people, it is just food. for others, like me, it's a combo of food and hormones.

anyway that's my update. i'll give another in a few months.

btw, i strongly believe that having a better diet can help acne and i've noticed many people have the same prob as i do (what to eat?!?). so i'm working on a recipe list. when i'm done with it, i'll try to post it somehow.

======================================== ===============
    hello. just wanted to share "my story" with diet. i appreciate any feedback and words of encouragement. i'm 27 y/o female, 5'4", 110lbs and have had mild to moderate acne for the past 10 years (mostly moderate acne the past 5 years). i've tried anti-biotics, topicals, accutane (twice) on and off for the past 10 years.

i started the no simple carb diet in October 2003 (i eliminated bread, pasta, white rice, and simple sugar foods which is what i used to eat a lot of). first of all, it is SOOO hard to maintain this diet. i'm semi-vegetarian (occasionaly poultry only) and i've always been an extremely picky eater. so no matter how much fruit, nuts, and vegetables i eat, i always feel unsatiated.

the one thing i noticed after a couple weeks on the diet was the my SUPER oily skin was actually DRYER. my skin did clear up a bit too and so at the time i thought i had found the cure! of course, nothing is that simple

after two months on the diet, although my skin remained much less oily, i was still breaking out pretty bad. so i decided to go back on the pill (ortho tryclyin). this seems to be working in combo with the diet (i have been on and off of the pill over the past five years but always had a lousy diet so it never seemed to help). since starting the pill the acne is been very, very mild, not the usuall large, red painful, pustules i used to get.

this past week, i had the flu and the only thing that was easy on my stomach was "white flour products" and so i was eating a lot of bread and saltine crackers. after about a week on eating crap (that's how long i was sick for) my skin did get oiler and i started getting a lot of small pimples. so i'm trying to "cleanse" my system again, but it's so hard...i really love bread!

so i definitely think there is a connection btwn acne and simple carbs.

the main problem i have with this diet is the weight!!! before the diet i was about 120lbs which is still pretty underweight for 5'4'. now i'm about 110lbs. i would like to try those weight gainer drinks but they are full of crap that would probably bring back the acne. i tried eating high fat "healthy foods" like nuts, avacados, olives, but that's not working. if anyone can suggest something that would help me gain weight but not aggravate the acne that would be great.

does anyone know if there is a connection btwn low weight and acne? i've always been kind of underweight. i thought i read somewhere (maybe on the message board) that a low fat diet and low weight could cause acne. if anyone has any info on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
    OhMyFace
    Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
    Re: UPDATE: hormones, diet...my story

Did the endocrinologist shed any light on your issues? My dermatologist told me it wouldn't be helpful....(go figure)

Old 02-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
    idealist1976
    Inactive

idealist1976 HB User

the only new info i got from the endocrinologist was that birth control is the med of choice for thin people with PCOS. with heavy people with PCOS she said there are other meds they consider. she also did a lot of blood work, which i should have the results back some time this week. that's pretty much it. i wish it had been more enlightening but it was not. if you have good insurance i would go to see one anyway for peace of mind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhMyFace
    Did the endocrinologist shed any light on your issues? My dermatologist told me it wouldn't be helpful....(go figure)

Old 02-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Yes, I would like to see some sort of list. I don't know what to eat anymore, grrr.

My face starts clearing for sometimes like 3 days and then a huge breakout (6-7 new pimples/cystic type usually) I don't know if it was somthing I ate or not. I also think hormones could be a factor in my acne since acne just sprang on me.

Gl with yourself, and hurry on that list

Thanks

Old 02-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

nah dfwgoodguy in my experience and the experiences of those i've read, diets role in acne is overall diet, gained over-time nutrient deficiencies, and accumulation of toxins rather than one thing triggering an outbreak, while one thing can definitely "set it off" as in the body says "ENOUGH" and restricts nutrients from the skin (to protect the vital organs), thus breaking out...its still the result of overall nutrition, if you ask me. So there really is no point in keeping a journal or anything like that.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-09-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #6
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Idealist,

I'm sorry, but the only option she gave you was BC because you are thin???? Sigh...where do these doctors come from?

I'm thin, I'm 5'5 and 105lbs to be exact. I don't fit much of the profile for PCOS, yet for nearly 6 years, I've tried:

BC, (6 months)
    BC-Spiro, (3 years)
    Metaformin, (1 month)
    Metaformin-Spiro, (2 months)
    Avandia-Spiro, (1 year)
    GlutenFree/LowGrain Diet - Spiro (18 months)

and now just on my Customized Gluten Free Diet (testing the effects of no Spiro). So for medication or test suggestions check out these threads

What is PCOS?
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145720&highlight=PCOS[/url]

PCOS and Acne
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=145508&highlight=PCOS[/url]

HTH some =)

P.S. When you get your tests back, ask for a copy.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-09-2004 at 10:55 PM.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Ive been eating healthy for about 4 months straight, cut out all fizzy drinks, candy, fast food, etc. I eat a lot of protein, fruits some vegis. Im still getting horrible breakouts, like today i can probably actually cry if i tried to.

So if its due to overall eating, I ate like crap for 20 years and now i eat really good. Would cleansing my liver help? Is there anything else I can do besides diet and topicals? I don't have insurance atm so I can't do prescribed.

Thx, sorry for asking questions on your thread. :P

Old 02-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #8
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Hey Dfw,

The first thing I would modify is your protein intake. If you eat a lot of protein, it means you are eating a lot of something you shouldn't, which either means too much tofu, or too much meat. Either one can be detrimental. Forget atkins for a second here. You say some vegetables. Well that's not enough!! I don't even eat enough vegetables and it is most of what I eat. In order to heal you need to eat twice as much vegetables. You need to be eating vegetables for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner. Rich green leafy vegetables at that. Cleansing your liver will definitely help A LOT.

Once you heal you can go back to eating as much protein as you want. But you aren't going to heal unless you get those vegetables in. Meanwhile fizzy drinks, candy, and junk food are not the only items that have sugar and hydrogenated oils. These turn up in a lot of "healthy" foods as well. I don't know if that was the purpose of avoiding those foods or not. You may want to avoid ingredients specifically and not food groups such as dairy and gluten in anything or sugar, hydrogenated oils, and cooked vegetable oils in anything and not just soda, candy, and junk food in general. Otherwise it may all be in vain.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-10-2004 at 09:17 AM.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Thx for your helpful replys prometheis, ya ive been watching my overall eating (not atkins), i don't like too many vegitables, but i do eat salad like everyday. I eat a lot of protein because im weight training, ive lost 50lbs and gained a lot of muscle mass in the past 6 months, still gaining. That is why I am eatign so much protein. Could you tell me some vegitables that are good in protein? I mainly eat chicken. Can your face break out due to not eating enough of certain foods? Ive been on my "lifestyle" change for about 4 months. Soda, candy, etc were just the main things that I know where affecting my weight, and assumed since they were full of sugar then that would also help my acne.

I'm new to all of this stuff related to weight loss and acne. Could you give some examples for stuff that I should eat that will help me in my weight loss and mass gain, but also my acne. I figured that eating chicken all the time would be okay...once again im a newbie to all of this. I read all these threads on what to avoid, hydrogenated oils, gluten, etc. Its all jargon to me.

I do eat bread sometimes, with turkey sandwiches, or my chicken sandwiches, should I avoid bread totally. Grrr theres just too much I don't know and its so frustrating. I also don't drink milk like i use to but somtimes eat cereal. I try to watch my carbs too. LoL, its like I need my own personal assistant to tell me what to eat to heal my acne, and also help me stay pumped and losing them lbs.

Thanks a lot homie

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 02-10-2004 at 10:43 AM.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

sorry I can't help you out there, dfwgoodguy.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #11
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Ok I lied. On any restricted or specific diet regimen you will lose weight. So it doesn't matter if you are cutting out carbs or fat restricting or protein restricting or cutting out specific ingredients. You will still lose weight. Now for gaining mass, when you lose weight the contours of your body and the muscles that are already there will show through. People don't need to work on their abs as much as they need to lose abdominal fat because once the abdominal fat disappears they will have the "ribbed" look. The thing is you want to lose weight and not lose muscle. In order to do that you need carbs. Now, if you are body building as in gaining muscle then yes you need protein but I still don't think it is the most necessary thing. Carbs prevent you from burning muscle when you excercise.

The problem here is that you also want to use diet to get rid of acne and you cannot do both. Why? Because you have to lower your protein intake, you have to eat more vegetables which are too low in calorie, and you need to eat more fruit, while removing the offenders and cleaning the liver. You have to rebuild minerals and you can't be excercising and lifting weights (and eating a lot of protein) while you do this. The reason people get acne (I think) is because they have nutritional deficiencies and accumulated toxins. Your body views muscle building as expensive in nutrients and it depletes minerals that you need to be putting back in.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-10-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User

DFW...I'm not a "complete expert" with diet like prometheus and sweetjade...but I can point out things that I see in your diet that could definitely be affecting your progress. First of all..I have read throughout the boards that weight lifting/training (I'm a female, so not very accurate on what the terms are) is a no-no for acne, and furthermore, many body builders have acne due to this. Also, you say that you eat sandwiches every now and then. Bread is generally not on the acne safe foods list (with some exceptions to SOME people..but very few...for example whole grain breads etc for people who can tolerate them). Secondly, you say your eating turkey or chicken on these sandwiches, is this "lunch meat" turkey and chicken? Because lunch meats are cured meats meaning they are also out. You say that you are low carbing, but you really don't need to low carb (or most people don't), they just don't take in the "junk/refined" carbs, but they do eat tons of fruits and veggies, which both contain carbs. You also mentioned eating alot of chicken, why don't you try including some fish sources in your diet such as wild alaskan salmine, mackeral, and sardines (canned in water or olive oil). Or try adding nuts and seeds to your diet. I know that myself and a few others I know can not tolerate large amounts of meat during the week without breaking out (but many people can, I guess we are just exceptions lol). Another thing that I noticed was that you said that you eat cereal occasionally, but how often is occasionally? Milk and cereal (again with exception to a few people who can tolerate specific cereals) are both off of the "safe" list. If your eating this for breakfast, why not try either fresh fruit, fresh vegetable or fruit juices/smoothies, or a gluten/wheat free hot cereal such as quinoa flakes topped with ground/crushed almonds or fresh fruit? Lastly, you mentioned that you eat a salad practically every day. Salads are NOT a good source to get your "vegetables and greens" for the day from, and are generally not that great unless you have added spinach leaves and other good vegetable toppings to get the servings that you need. Are you putting any salad dressings on this salad? These are generally not acceptable for most people either. I would try looking up natural salad dressing recipes, or top it with olive oil. These are all just a few suggestions regarding your post, hope they helped some! Like I said, I'm no expert, just a fan of Prometheus and SweetJade's research and information . Take care.

Oh, and by the way, I would follow Prometheus's advice...less protein and meats and more vegetables (and fruits too!)
    Meagan

Closed Thread