It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• If you need to clear up your skin temporarily ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User
    If you need to clear up your skin temporarily ...

When I was 18 and it was time for graduation photos, I had really bad acne. I managed to get my skin completely clear-looking in 3 days. I DON'T recommend this as a long term treatment because I think it probably clogs the pores terribly, but it did get my skin to look clear in three days. If you have a photo or big event coming up, it's worth a try.

For three days, I spent about half an hour applying a warm wet washcloth to my face and then slathered on the thickest vitamin E cream I could find. The one I used only had 2 ingredients: vitamin E and mineral oil. Other than that and washing my face twice a day with mild soap, I didn't touch it. The idea was to heal up all the current blemishes on my face; I knew it would do nothing to prevent future breakouts.

Even my parents were stunned when we got the pictures back and I looked like I had the most perfect skin imaginable. I dont think my friends believed that the pics hadn't been retouched. I was so proud of myself! Yes, it was a temporary fix and the acne came right back, but there is now a portrait of me with perfect skin in all the yearbooks and in my parents' living room, and that makes me happy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User
    Re: If you need to clear up your skin temporarily ...

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't continue the regimen. If it helped, maybe that's exactly what you needed. I had breakouts on my arms that I thought for years were acne (it looked like acne, little whiteheads and red bumps). Well, when I went to the dermatologist, he told me it was keratosis pilaris and what it really was from was DRY skin, not oily! Well, of course, I had been doing just the opposite of what I should have been doing, putting salicylic spray on it and washing with a sulphur-based wash.

Anyway, I stopped the other stuff and just started putting a sensitive skin lotion on my arms everyday, and they cleared right up and stay clear as long as I keep them moisturized. I'm wondering if maybe your facial acne is the same sort of problem?

Old 02-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

I continued using the moisturizer in a "normal" way, just applying a little in the morning and a little at night. But as I said, it was mostly mineral oil, and I think opening the porse and then putting on a really thick coat of it probably clogs pores. If anyone gives me a reason to think otherwise, maybe I'll try it for longer.

Plus, spending 30 minutes a day lying with a wet towel on your face really isn't much fun.

Last edited by Crossbow; 02-09-2004 at 05:00 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User

Crossbow,

Actually, mineral oil is not pore clogging or irritant causing...i cant give web sites on this board cuz i got in trouble for that before but there is a very popular site about acne that has an entire huge list of ingredients on it and rates them on a scale on 0-5, with 5 being very pore clogging, 0 not ...anything below 2 is ok....minerall oil is a big fat ZERO on the list--so its ok ...id try it and see! ....what is the name of the moisturizer you used? I use cetaphil cream now for when i need extreme mooisture help--it has mineral oil in it.

you seem to do a similar regime to me for big events. i had my 25th bday last week w/ a big party and a hot date --i wanted perfect skin for the event, so for the two weeks before (i know, a lot of time), i treated my skin like it was my first priority....i avoided all the harsh stuff that overdries and makes me skin look worse while treating zits, and instead exfoiliated every day, used the famous asprin mask every other day, and watched what i ate.....then 2-3 days before i used a lot of moisturizer and NO acne products.....it worked--my skin was soft and nearly clear, but not using the acne products for the days leading up did cause a major breakout a couple days after i think. im still trying to find a daily healthy balance of clearing skin while not over drying ---cuz parched, flaky skin is almost as bad as tthe zits! --also a well moisturized face can be covered SO much more natural looking with makeup!

Old 02-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
    Sanchez1
    (female)

Sanchez1 HB User

What is an aspirin mask and how do i use it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laurenmarie179

....i avoided all the harsh stuff that overdries and makes me skin look worse while treating zits, and instead exfoiliated every day, used the famous asprin mask every other day, and watched what i ate.....then 2-3 days before i used a lot of moisturizer and NO acne products.....it worked--my skin was soft and nearly clear, but not using the acne products for the days leading up did cause a major breakout a couple days after i think. im still trying to find a daily healthy balance of clearing skin while not over drying ---cuz parched, flaky skin is almost as bad as tthe zits! --also a well moisturized face can be covered SO much more natural looking with makeup!

Old 02-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: If you need to clear up your skin temporarily ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sanchez1
    What is an aspirin mask and how do i use it?
    Do a keyword search on this site to read all the ravs about this home-made aspirin mask. i was so skeptical at first til i heard everybody talking about it, and considering how cheap it is (you can get a bottle of aspirin for less than a couple $), i tried it.

i believe the aspirin acts as an antibacterial, anti inflamatory and seems to exfoiliate the skin really well. its similar to salacylic acid, but better some say

you get the non-coated aspirin (generic ok) and take 7-15 aspirin and put a few drops of water on them so it turns them to a grainy paste. if you use too much water you will notice the excess water just wont absorb so drain that away. the consistancy is like sand when disolved. some people put the disolved grainy mixture diirectly on face, but many--including myself--find it needs something to make it stick ...i mix mine w/ a mask or cream cleanser...some use aloe vera....you leave on about 20 min and then 'scrub' off in an exfoliating motion.

its a cheap mask that actually works extremely well. my only complaint is it can be a bit messy, takes time to apply so it wont all flake off

Old 02-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
    ... what is the name of the moisturizer you used? I use cetaphil cream now for when i need extreme mooisture help--it has mineral oil in it.
    The don't make the one I used anymore. That was before I had learned that every time you find a product yo ulike, you have to buy a lifetime supply of it because they will stop making it. Happened with all my favorite hair care products too. They didn't stop making my favorite soap, but they stopped carrying it in the stores.

Right now I'm using Jason brand vitamin E cream. It has a huge list of ingredients. I'll try to find that site you mentioned and look them up. Maybe I need to learn to make my own.

Old 02-10-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User

crossbow,
    sorry i cant give the website, and im not sure we can [removed]
    What is the exact name of the vitamin e lotion from jason? because they seem to make a few. i know their products though--good stuff. i may try next.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    The don't make the one I used anymore. That was before I had learned that every time you find a product yo ulike, you have to buy a lifetime supply of it because they will stop making it. Happened with all my favorite hair care products too. They didn't stop making my favorite soap, but they stopped carrying it in the stores.

Right now I'm using Jason brand vitamin E cream. It has a huge list of ingredients. I'll try to find that site you mentioned and look them up. Maybe I need to learn to make my own.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-13-2004 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Do not offer or ask for off board contact. The boards are for on-board sharing only. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top of the board. Thank you

Old 02-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

It's in a short, round, 4-ounce orange container. The label says:

Vitamin 25,000 IU
    E Creme
    Theraputic Moisturizing Creme

I can't vouch for it's acne-treating properties, but it makes my skin feel nice. Also, good for perservation. I'm 36 and they still won't sell me beer. It's not "Can I see your ID?" it's "No, you have to be over 21 to buy that."

Old 02-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User

CROSSBOW,
    ok, found it, and the ingredient list. It actually does have some ingredients that would make me leary. A lot of moderate pore cloggers. vitamin E is rated a 2 out of 5 in terms of pore cloggers, but the wheat germ in it is a 5!..chamomile, stearic acid and avacado oils are all a 2. If its not breaking you out though, id stick with it. Its too bad im too wimpy to try. im thinking of actually trying something aloe vera based (which yours has in it too---0 rating)

Quote:
    It's in a short, round, 4-ounce orange container. The label says:

Vitamin 25,000 IU
    E Creme
    Theraputic Moisturizing Creme

I can't vouch for it's acne-treating properties, but it makes my skin feel nice. Also, good for perservation. I'm 36 and they still won't sell me beer. It's not "Can I see your ID?" it's "No, you have to be over 21 to buy that."

Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 AM   #11
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

I'm always willing to try new products. I'll try printing out a list of the lowest clogging things and see about finding a moisturizer with less clogging potential. I can still use this stuff on my hands, anyway. A few months ago someone said I had "the hands of a girl," so it's good for that too.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #12
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: If you need to clear up your skin temporarily ...

Quote:
    I'm always willing to try new products. I'll try printing out a list of the lowest clogging things and see about finding a moisturizer with less clogging potential. I can still use this stuff on my hands, anyway. A few months ago someone said I had "the hands of a girl," so it's good for that too.
    Crossbow,

I, along with many others have used Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. i think i told you about the cream--this one though is more foor daily use. Its a no-frills basic moisturizer w/ only the minimal ingredients in it so it is less likely to irritate or cause problems. i also use philosophy's "hope in a jar" moisture mask, for all skin types (I think they have a version for extra dry skin--which may cause breakouts in some. )

After i went and did the search for the jason vitamin E cream you use, i came across some 100% aloe vera by "fruit of the earth" --which is so hard to find since usually aloe vera formulas have tons of ingredients and alcohol, which is very irritating---so i ordered this stuff for $3 or so and am gonna try.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #13
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
    Crossbow,

I, along with many others have used Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. i think i told you about the cream--this one though is more foor daily use. Its a no-frills basic moisturizer w/ only the minimal ingredients in it so it is less likely to irritate or cause problems. i also use philosophy's "hope in a jar" moisture mask, for all skin types (I think they have a version for extra dry skin--which may cause breakouts in some. )
    OK, I'll look for those next time I'm shopping.

Quote:
    After i went and did the search for the jason vitamin E cream you use, i came across some 100% aloe vera by "fruit of the earth" --which is so hard to find since usually aloe vera formulas have tons of ingredients and alcohol, which is very irritating---so i ordered this stuff for $3 or so and am gonna try.
    Have you used 100% aloe vera before? It burned my face, like a sunburn. Make sure you test it on a small patch of skin first, if you haven't used it before.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:30 AM   #14
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Laurenmarie -

Do you know if safflower oil is bad for your pores?

Old 02-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #15
    Laurenmarie179

Laurenmarie179 HB User

Quote:
    Laurenmarie -

Do you know if safflower oil is bad for your pores?
    Safflower oil is rated a 0 for pore clogging and irritants..so no worries

Closed Thread