It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How can I get my Dr. to prescribe Diane 35?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
    Sable
    (female)

Sable HB User
    How can I get my Dr. to prescribe Diane 35?

How can I get my doctor to prescribe Diane 35? Does he have to do any sort of testing? Or can he just prescribe it by just seeing me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
    melaniebb
    (female)

melaniebb HB User
    Re: How can I get my Dr. to prescribe Diane 35?

My doctor prescribed it for me without doing any prior testing. However, your doctor will probably want to make sure that you are aware that there is a slightly higher risk of venous thromboembolism with Diane compared to other low-dose birth control pills.

I took Diane for about three years but stopped six months ago since it is not usually recommended for long term use. For me, it was an absolute miracle for my stubborn acne. (I had tried just about everything else out there before trying Diane)

Old 02-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
    Sable
    (female)

Sable HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melaniebb
    My doctor prescribed it for me without doing any prior testing. However, your doctor will probably want to make sure that you are aware that there is a slightly higher risk of venous thromboembolism with Diane compared to other low-dose birth control pills.

I took Diane for about three years but stopped six months ago since it is not usually recommended for long term use. For me, it was an absolute miracle for my stubborn acne. (I had tried just about everything else out there before trying Diane)
    What is "venous thromboembolism "? Oh and did it cause a large amount of weight gain?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Hey MelanieBB, if Diane is such a miracle drug, can you just take breaks from it? Like, stay off it for couple of years and then go back on for a few years?

Old 02-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
    melaniebb
    (female)

melaniebb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloradogirl1
    Hey MelanieBB, if Diane is such a miracle drug, can you just take breaks from it? Like, stay off it for couple of years and then go back on for a few years?
    I don't think it is a problem to go back on it if that is your choice. I think that it would be a good idea to discuss this with your physician. I just know that Health Canada does not advise being on it long-term (there is a higher risk of venous thromboembolism, which is blood clots). My physician was actually ok with me staying on Diane-35 (since we had tried so many other treatments with little success), but I decided to stop taking it because of the severe frequent headaches I got. At the time I wasn't sure the pill was causing them, but now I know for sure. This was just my experience. I know many women are thrilled with Diane and haven't experienced any negative side effects. So now I am headache free. However, the persistent mild-moderate acne has returned. It has significantly improved, mind you, because of some changes I have made in my diet. I am also considering taking Ortho-tricycline. Not sure yet.

I would like to be able to give you websites that provide more information about the health risks associated with Diane-35, but of course I am not able to do so on this board. I'm not suggesting that this pill is really dangerous. But I do think it is important to arm yourself with as much info as possible before making the decision to take a prescribed drug. I, personally, was comfortable with risks simply because my self-esteem was so much higher when my skin was clear. If I didn't have problems with headaches I would still be on it today.

Oh! The weight gain issue. I did gain about 7-8 lb...but I am 5"7 and it really didn't show that much. And my breasts were bigger, which was a nice perk!

Last edited by melaniebb; 02-18-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

Do you know if the headaches you got from Diane were Migraines or Sinus headaches. I have a terrible time with Sinus headaches as it is.

Thank you.

Old 02-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
    Sable
    (female)

Sable HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melaniebb
    I don't think it is a problem to go back on it if that is your choice. I think that it would be a good idea to discuss this with your physician. I just know that Health Canada does not advise being on it long-term (there is a higher risk of venous thromboembolism, which is blood clots). My physician was actually ok with me staying on Diane-35 (since we had tried so many other treatments with little success), but I decided to stop taking it because of the severe frequent headaches I got. At the time I wasn't sure the pill was causing them, but now I know for sure. This was just my experience. I know many women are thrilled with Diane and haven't experienced any negative side effects. So now I am headache free. However, the persistent mild-moderate acne has returned. It has significantly improved, mind you, because of some changes I have made in my diet. I am also considering taking Ortho-tricycline. Not sure yet.

I would like to be able to give you websites that provide more information about the health risks associated with Diane-35, but of course I am not able to do so on this board. I'm not suggesting that this pill is really dangerous. But I do think it is important to arm yourself with as much info as possible before making the decision to take a prescribed drug. I, personally, was comfortable with risks simply because my self-esteem was so much higher when my skin was clear. If I didn't have problems with headaches I would still be on it today.

Oh! The weight gain issue. I did gain about 7-8 lb...but I am 5"7 and it really didn't show that much. And my breasts were bigger, which was a nice perk!

My doctor said that he's never heard of Diane 35??? He said that it might be a drug used over seas and not here within the states. How did you get it?

Old 02-18-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
    melaniebb
    (female)

melaniebb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloradogirl1
    Do you know if the headaches you got from Diane were Migraines or Sinus headaches. I have a terrible time with Sinus headaches as it is.

Thank you.
    they were definitely migraines. I suffer from sinus headaches as well. I have always been headache prone. But they were definitely worse when I was taking Diane

Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #9
    melaniebb
    (female)

melaniebb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sable
    My doctor said that he's never heard of Diane 35??? He said that it might be a drug used over seas and not here within the states. How did you get it?
    I live in Canada. As far as I know, it is not available in the states. I have heard, however, that Yasmin is quite similar and I believe that is available in the states...not sure, though.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #10
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

I live in the states too and no it is not available here for some reason. However, there are a ton of internet sites that will sell it to you and you can buy them in bulk.

Closed Thread