It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• ACNE? what is it???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
    help4u

help4u HB User
    Arrow ACNE? what is it???

Is there anyone who eats: plenty of vegetable
    fruits
    fish
    milk
    cereals,
    drink herbs
    and drink at list 2 litres every day
    and don t eat fried food,
    fast food
    fats
    ice- creams
    chips
    chocolate
    much sugar
    much salt
    and don t drink cokes etc
    ......and have adult acne??????????
    please let me know!
    taking pills and putting cremes is the easy way (and wrong one)
    change your way of life and you ll see...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User
    Re: ACNE? what is it???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by help4u
    Is there anyone who eats: plenty of vegetable
    fruits
    fish
    milk
    cereals,
    drink herbs
    and drink at list 2 litres every day
    and don t eat fried food,
    fast food
    fats
    ice- creams
    chips
    chocolate
    much sugar
    much salt
    and don t drink cokes etc
    ......and have adult acne??????????
    please let me know!
    taking pills and putting cremes is the easy way (and wrong one)
    change your way of life and you ll see...
    YES! Trust me, I have tried about every possible diet change over the past 2 decades, but my adult acne persists...

Pills and cremes may seem to be the "easy way" or the "wrong way" for some, but I am far to experienced in both acne and diet to say that is the case for all. For me, diet changes truly do not improve my skin, In fact, in the past, I saw a better correlation between eating "badly" drinking little water, and improvement with my skin. Odd, Huh?

Different things truly work for different people, if it was as simple as changing diet, acne would not plauge so many people, particularly those who have tried the various "Acne diets" in the past.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
    slick33

slick33 HB User

3 simple words: Acne is genetic.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
    help4u

help4u HB User

this is really frustrating....
    but i mean completely detoxification
    i don t mean a diet, but a way of life
    why people didn t have adult acne 60 years ago??

Old 02-19-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slick33
    3 simple words: Acne is genetic.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I am so tired of hearing people claim that acne can be controlled by diet. I know for a fact that me, and my 2 sisters inherited this from our father - who has terrible scars and still gets cysts at the age of 63!!! I could try any crazy diet in the world and I would still get acne!

Old 02-19-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
    help4u

help4u HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Genn
    THANK YOU!!!!!

I am so tired of hearing people claim that acne can be controlled by diet. I know for a fact that me, and my 2 sisters inherited this from our father - who has terrible scars and still gets cysts at the age of 63!!! I could try any crazy diet in the world and I would still get acne!

why all of you are so negative??
    changing my diet DID work for me, so why not for somebody else?
    i didn t say it will work for everybody!!
    toxins is a very common cause of acne
    please..

Old 02-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
    KillerBoots,man

KillerBoots,man HB User

I have always eaten healthy and taken care of myself, better than anyone I know. And I've also developed cystic acne, twice...It isn't being negative, it is being realistic to think that diet doesn't have anything to do with it. Look at all the people you know who eat junk food and don't take care of themselves, and have perfect skin. I'm sure there are a lot of people who do just need to clean up their lifestyle and the acne will diminish. However, there are those of us who take care of ourselves, and still suffer. Help4u...it is NOT about being negative.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
    maxoblivion

maxoblivion HB User

At various times during my life I've attempted to eat what I thought was a "healthy" diet to control my acne. I would eliminate the usual suspects like candy, fats and oils, sodas etc. with no success. After I isolated hydrogenated oils as the trigger for my acne and eliminated them from my diet, I've had clear skin. I now can eat fatty foods, candy etc. so long as they contain natural oils. I have a genetic predisposition for acne. Hydrogenated oils are the trigger. May not work for anyone else but it worked for me.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
    CursedSkin
    (male)

CursedSkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Genn
    THANK YOU!!!!!

uh-oh, youre about to get it now

just in case you didnt notice, there area a ton of diet fanatics on this site

be prepared for some page long post by them

Last edited by CursedSkin; 02-19-2004 at 10:38 PM.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
    help4u

help4u HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CursedSkin
    uh-oh, youre about to get it now

just in case you didnt notice, there area a ton of diet fanatics on this site

be prepared for some page long post by them
    I am sorry, but, if you live in the usa you certainly don t know what "healthy diet" means. i ve come to america twice and even apples (what healthier than an apple?) were all of the same fantastic red colour and the same size! i couldn t believe it! so.... what does it mean?
    {please don t misunderstand me. i liked a lot of things i saw there. but i am talking about a particular thing}

Old 02-20-2004, 06:09 AM   #11
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

I feel another acne/diet debate with Prometheus & SweetJade coming on . Wooohoo

Well this is how I see it:

If you are acne/spot-prone then eating an unhealthy diet will increase the likelihood of worsening your acne.

On the other hand, if you eat an optimum diet (i.e. organic veg, fruit, meat, fish and no refined/sugary carbs, no hydrogenated oils, no chocolate/sweets, no dairy, no gluten etc.) you will increase the likelihood of improving your acne. It will not disappear but if you do convert to a more healthy/balanced diet then you WILL notice improvements in your skin as a result of better regulating the metabolism of insulin

I believe our bodies have been built to eat natural food and thus for a digestive system to be effective it needs natural food. If however, we eat 'artificial/man-made food' then our digestive system will not be as effective resulting in dumping more of the toxins on our skin. I would have to question this belief though because surely evolution must come into play which suggests our digestive systems develop over time and become accustomed to eating 'man-made food' as a result it should adapt and be as effective. Maybe it just doesn't adapt?

So diet CERTAINLY does influence acne, I would say your diet makes up about 60-70% of acne. There is definitely a correlation. However, the remaining 30% is probably the result of either: genetics, hormones, stress and environmental conditions or a combination.

These percentages vary with EVERYBODY. Eating a nutrionally optimal diet may only help my acne up to about 40% while my hormones may be much more naturally out of tune which causes the remaining 60% of my acne. While someone else who has followed a Westernised diet their entire live and suffers from acne could clear up about 70-90% of their acne by changing to a 'Prometheus-type diet'. It is different with everyone.

A study should be conducted into analysing the incidence of acne on those who follow A WESTERNISED diet and the incidence of acne on those who follow a NUTRIONALLY OPTIMUM diet. If this study was performed then we could definitely see to what extent acne and diet correlate. The data: 79%-95% of people in Westernised societies have acne while around 25% in non-westernised societies don't have acne ASSUMES that ALL people in the Western world follow a 'western unhealthy diet' while all people in the non-western world follow a healthy diet. This is not true. For starters the non-western world has high poverty and poor cleanliness which implies the food they eat cannot exactly be 'clean'. So why don't they have acne? Furthermore, coke has become cheaper than buying running water in many developing countries (as a result of alot of public water companies becoming privatised) therefore they too drink alot of sodas. Yet they do not suffer from as much acne as us.

What I would like Prometheus or SweetJade to explain is why do people who can sustain an unhealthy westernised diet for such a long time NEVER experience acne? They can eat whatever they want and drink/smoke as much as they want and yet their skin is flawless? They only response I have had from you guys regarding this is: "Well external purity does not equal internal purity". I agree, the internal functioning of their body may be entirely disrupted and inefficient, it is highly likely that it is as acne is no sign for poor health. HOWEVER this does not explain why they still have flawless skin?! And before you say, "Well acne is preventing us from other dieases and disorders like allergies, asthma, obesity etc." Yes they may become obese from eating all those carbs but it still does NOT explain why they don't have acne.

The point is their hormones maybe naturally stable regardless of what they do, eat or drink hence mainting a constant insulin balance and therefore will never experience acne. This is just genetics in this case or environmentally chance/evolution.

I wish acne was 100% correlated to diet then I would be clear.

P.S. please assume (especially Promey) this is not an argumentative/antagonising post just informative.

Last edited by Neca; 02-20-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #12
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by help4u
    I am sorry, but, if you live in the usa you certainly don t know what "healthy diet" means. i ve come to america twice and even apples (what healthier than an apple?) were all of the same fantastic red colour and the same size! i couldn t believe it! so.... what does it mean?
    {please don t misunderstand me. i liked a lot of things i saw there. but i am talking about a particular thing}
    First, you really have no right to make assumptions about me, or Americans in general, based on two visits to the USA. Americans are a very diverse group of people, and there is no way that after two visits you can honestly make a blanket statement about the diets and health awareness of all Americans. I have lived here my entire life and could make no such statement.

Yes, I do live in the USA, does that mean I think that processed foods, fast foods, and pesticide coated produce make up a “healthy diet”? NO!

For several years’, during my 20’s, I lived in a small community with other very health conscious individuals (Yes, Americans)! Everything that we ate we made ourselves, we ate no prepackaged food. We bought all of our food in bulk from Organic farmers and Organic Food Co-ops. We ate only organic produce; organic grains, organic legumes, we baked all of our bread from scratch using only organic grains. We all ate fresh fish, though I was a vegetarian at the time, some members of community ate free-range organic meats. We did not eat refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, chocolate or sweets, or dairy. We drank only water, except for when we would occasionally splurge on expensive Organic juices. All around I lead a very healthy lifestyle, ate right, slept right, and did not indulge in things that were unhealthy.

What was my skin like at the time? Absolutely horrible! Interestingly, my skin was the worst it has ever been during those years.

Later, in my mid-late 20’s, after leaving the community, I was living alone, attending university and working full time, and not living an all around healthy lifestyle… I was strapped for both time an cash… Eating healthy was no longer something I could afford monetarily, or time wise. I began to eat what you must assume to be the typical “American diet.” Cheap food, fast food, junk food, processed pre-package food, etc…

What was my skin like at the time? Totally clear! Interestingly, during those years, my skin was the clearest it has ever been! Although I felt fine, and looked great, I know that I was not altogether healthy.

The last 4 years or so, I have been eating a very healthy diet again. It is by no means as extreme as when I lived in the community, but I eat a healthy well balanced diet, consisting of whole foods (fresh organic produce, meats, grains) prepared by me - in my kitchen - not out of a box. I avoid refined sugars, processed foods, etc.
    Guess what?! My skin is horrible again!

So, if diet can control acne in those of us who are genetically predisposed to it – then why did it not work for me?

Old 02-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #13
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Quote:
    hahaha, I totally agree. Come on you have to admit that that is funny. The guy comes to America and all the apples are the same size, and the same bright red color, like something out of a science fiction movie! Oh man. That's hilarious. Dear, I am in a strange mood today.

I'm sure he didn't mean that every single american doesn't know how to eat well, or what proper nutrition is, but I agree that the majority have no clue! And the minority that do have a clue often do not know how to properly prepare good food, or correct proportions. Overall this comment is just really funny.

I think he just means that living in America makes it difficult to know what healthy means and to experience real food.

Note: I'm not ignoring, or sidestepping your concerns, Neca and Genn. I am in a strange state of mind today and I will wait until I can properly address them. Most of them I have addressed, such as, yes, individual body mechanics. Not everyone is going to get heart disease, not everyone is going to get cancer and not everyone is going to get acne on the same diet. As far as "clean" is concerned. It is not that these foods are unclean or that there are foods that are more "clean". It is just that, for reasons subject to speculation, I was intolerant to certain foods like gluten and dairy. Also, some foods or rather items taken internally are nutrient depleting by virtue of the fact that they have no nutrients and require nutrients to be processed, or they tax the system, or cause harm to the flesh by some other more direct action.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-20-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Old 02-20-2004, 03:43 PM   #14
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    Note: I'm not ignoring, or sidestepping your concerns, Neca and Genn. I am in a strange state of mind today and I will wait until I can properly address them.
    No problemo prometheus, take your time for once. You rapid post too much which can't be good for the system

Last edited by Neca; 02-20-2004 at 03:44 PM.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #15
    help4u

help4u HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    hahaha, I totally agree. Come on you have to admit that that is funny. The guy comes to America and all the apples are the same size, and the same bright red color, like something out of a science fiction movie! Oh man. That's hilarious. Dear, I am in a strange mood today.

I'm sure he didn't mean that every single american doesn't know how to eat well, or what proper nutrition is, but I agree that the majority have no clue! And the minority that do have a clue often do not know how to properly prepare good food, or correct proportions. Overall this comment is just really funny.

I think he just means that living in America makes it difficult to know what healthy means and to experience real food.

Note: I'm not ignoring, or sidestepping your concerns, Neca and Genn. I am in a strange state of mind today and I will wait until I can properly address them. Most of them I have addressed, such as, yes, individual body mechanics. Not everyone is going to get heart disease, not everyone is going to get cancer and not everyone is going to get acne on the same diet. As far as "clean" is concerned. It is not that these foods are unclean or that there are foods that are more "clean". It is just that, for reasons subject to speculation, I was intolerant to certain foods like gluten and dairy. Also, some foods or rather items taken internally are nutrient depleting by virtue of the fact that they have no nutrients and require nutrients to be processed, or they tax the system, or cause harm to the flesh by some other more direct action.
    thank you very much
    i like replying to open- minded peolple.. i didn t mean to insult anyone or any country (like it or not, every country has advantages and disadv., like mine)
    And i think i have the right to say my opinion as my sisters live in america for years.. America has the best universities, you are sooo organized, when you drive you respect people who walk and a lot of other things.. but as far as nutrition is concerned, Genn, try to be realistic..
    In my country i see people who live in the mountains don t know what adult acne is, what depression is, what stress is.. Why? because they eat truly healthy , breath fresh air and money is not their first goal....
    My opinion is that IN SOME CASES nutricion is the cause of acne.
    Like in my case. i changed my diet, drink a lot of water, and acne was gone..
    In other cases that doesn t happen (like Genn's). and i don t know what the cause is. but please respect my opinion as i respect yours
    Thanks and sorry if my english is bad.

Closed Thread