It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• If you're thinking of accutane, PLEASE READ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
    noaccutane

noaccutane HB User
    If you're thinking of accutane, PLEASE READ

i am a 19 y/o male and suffered (and still do) from very severe body acne and moderate on the face. the last 5 years i have had tons of acne on my back, chest, shoulders... all is the kind with the huge red cysts. so i know how bad acne is, i have a very great body but i won't even put myself in a situation where my shirt has to come off because it's that bad. i am permanently scarred all over these areas too. after taking all the prescription meds and countless over the counter stuff the last 5 years, i finally tried accutane last fall. my dr put me on the 40 mg pills. first off let me say i was in a bad auto accident before and literally died three times, hospitalized for a half year, dozens of surgeries, and i have been on about every medication you can imagine. so i know very well about side effects from medicines. under no cirumstances should anyone take accutane!!! the side effects are the worst you can imagine, and the manufacturer LIES and doesn't tell you about the scariest. the last two weeks of my treatment of my accutane, i lost well over half the hair on my head suddenly, as well as a lot of my body hair. i am still losing hair. baldness does not run in my body, i had the healthiest best hair you could imagine before accutane, very thick soft curtly hair. i now can't go in public without a hat because of what accutane did. under no circumstances is accutane worth it, i know what having severe acne is life, but huge amounts of permanent hair loss is not worth it. i did not lose my hair in just one section, it is evenly lost throughout my head and looks horrible. in addition, i can not see at all in even semi-darkness (everything is totally black) as well all my joints are extremely stiff. especially my back, it hurts now to sleep at night. not to mention i am already on oxycontin all the time for pain from soemthing else, and the pain accutane caused still hurts. i am also extremely depressed and suicidal. do no take this medication under any circumstances, it is not worth it. it doesn't even work that good (i still have about 1/2 as much acne as i did) and it causes permanent side effects. even if it did work, would you want clear skin and no hair? acne will get better and eventually be gone mostly anyways with age naturally, the hair loss is permanent. do not take this "medication." the manufactures lies about the side effects. i am not the only one that has experianced hair loss from accutane, just go to google and type in "accutane hair loss" or go to a hair loss message board. there are tons of other people that have had the same thing happen to them from using accutane. i know what severe acne does, i have avoided relationships the last 5 years (since the shirt would eventually have to come off) just because of how bad the acne is on my body. i love swimming but won't do it in public. so i know what's its like to live with this, and i still do. accutane is not worth it, don't use this stuff at all.

Last edited by noaccutane; 02-21-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User
    Re: If you're thinking of accutane, PLEASE READ

Ok, MAYBE my night vision is a little worse after accutane. And I'm not even sure of that, but it does seem to be a little harder to see in the dark. But I didn't have any hair loss from accutane. My hair had a slight rough feel to it when I was on accutane and my scalp flaked, but it's back to normal now. My joints ached...but that was only when I was on the drug, now they don't.

There wasn't much improvement in my acne until about 4 months after I started taking it, but by the time I was done the acne was gone. And even though my acne did come back 5 months after I finished taking it, my acne isn't as bad as it was. I don't really have back acne anymore, or chest acne, it only came back on my face and neck. So the accutane did some good.

I'm also male and 19. If that makes any difference. I'm not saying that people haven't lost hair due to accutane, but I am saying that I didn't and other people I know didn't, and it did make quite a difference.

Saw my reflection and cried
    So little hope that I died

Old 02-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
    ironbojangly14

ironbojangly14 HB User

I just finished my 6th month treatment of 60 mg's of accutane. I didn't have ne of those problems. The side affects are different for everyone and the drug definitly is worth it. All i had was dry skin, and i had to use a really strong moisterizer and a special chap stick my dermatologist gave me. My skins perfectly clear now and to be honest, i didn't mind the dry skin.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noaccutane
    i am a 19 y/o male and suffered (and still do) from very severe body acne and moderate on the face. the last 5 years i have had tons of acne on my back, chest, shoulders... all is the kind with the huge red cysts. so i know how bad acne is, i have a very great body but i won't even put myself in a situation where my shirt has to come off because it's that bad. i am permanently scarred all over these areas too. after taking all the prescription meds and countless over the counter stuff the last 5 years, i finally tried accutane last fall. my dr put me on the 40 mg pills. first off let me say i was in a bad auto accident before and literally died three times, hospitalized for a half year, dozens of surgeries, and i have been on about every medication you can imagine. so i know very well about side effects from medicines. under no cirumstances should anyone take accutane!!! the side effects are the worst you can imagine, and the manufacturer LIES and doesn't tell you about the scariest. the last two weeks of my treatment of my accutane, i lost well over half the hair on my head suddenly, as well as a lot of my body hair. i am still losing hair. baldness does not run in my body, i had the healthiest best hair you could imagine before accutane, very thick soft curtly hair. i now can't go in public without a hat because of what accutane did. under no circumstances is accutane worth it, i know what having severe acne is life, but huge amounts of permanent hair loss is not worth it. i did not lose my hair in just one section, it is evenly lost throughout my head and looks horrible. in addition, i can not see at all in even semi-darkness (everything is totally black) as well all my joints are extremely stiff. especially my back, it hurts now to sleep at night. not to mention i am already on oxycontin all the time for pain from soemthing else, and the pain accutane caused still hurts. i am also extremely depressed and suicidal. do no take this medication under any circumstances, it is not worth it. it doesn't even work that good (i still have about 1/2 as much acne as i did) and it causes permanent side effects. even if it did work, would you want clear skin and no hair? acne will get better and eventually be gone mostly anyways with age naturally, the hair loss is permanent. do not take this "medication." the manufactures lies about the side effects. i am not the only one that has experianced hair loss from accutane, just go to google and type in "accutane hair loss" or go to a hair loss message board. there are tons of other people that have had the same thing happen to them from using accutane. i know what severe acne does, i have avoided relationships the last 5 years (since the shirt would eventually have to come off) just because of how bad the acne is on my body. i love swimming but won't do it in public. so i know what's its like to live with this, and i still do. accutane is not worth it, don't use this stuff at all.
    First, I would like to say that I am very sorry to hear about what you have been through…
    It is very unfortunate that you have suffered from hair loss.
    But, as you said:
    “first off let me say i was in a bad auto accident before and literally died three times, hospitalized for a half year, dozens of surgeries, and i have been on about every medication you can imagine. so i know very well about side effects from medicines. under no cirumstances should anyone take accutane!!! the side effects are the worst you can imagine, and the manufacturer LIES and doesn't tell you about the scariest….
    do not take this "medication." the manufactures lies about the side effects. i am not the only one that has experianced hair loss from accutane, just go to google and type in "accutane hair loss" or go to a hair loss message board. there are tons of other people that have had the same thing happen to them from using accutane.”

The manufacturer admits that a small number of users may experience this side effect, it is listed in the literature. Therefore, they are not lying. If you were to check the actual statistics, you would find that a very small number of accutane users experience this side effect.

You also mention back pain as a side effect of accutane…
    But, Quote:
    “first off let me say i was in a bad auto accident before and literally died three times, hospitalized for a half year, dozens of surgeries, and i have been on about every medication you can imagine.”

This alone will cause serious long term back pain… Sadly, yes, even at your age, you most likely suffer from degenerative disk disease of the spine, caused by your auto accident, not accutane.

Lastly, you at the age of 19, go on to say quote:
    “acne will get better and eventually be gone mostly anyways with age naturally”

This simply is not true. Trust me, at my age, acne should have been gone years ago. There are plenty of people on these boards who suffer from persistent adult acne that simply does not respond to any other treatments. For us, accutane is a lifesaver.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your ordeal, but, you should not take any drug without knowing the possible side effects. Not every user experiences these side effects, in fact many experience nothing worse than dry lips. But, for most, accutane is the only thing that effectively treats persistent, painful, cystic acne, that does not respond to any other treatment.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
    MsMeaganMay
    Inactive

MsMeaganMay HB User

noaccutane...have you thought about following Prometheus's diet plan? I highly suggest this. Not only should it help with your existing skin problems, but it should help everything else you are suffering from too. I saw your posting on the liver forum about trying to get it out of your system. Prometheus's diet plan is basically targeted at healing the liver, and that is what you need! As for the hair loss, here are some things you can try:

Massage coconut milk into the scalp, wrap it in a towel, and leave it in for 1/2 hour. Then rinse with warm water, and repeat this 2-3 times a week.

Mix apple cider vinegar and sage tea together and rinse hair. (This will help it grow)

For the "balding" spots you have-Rub caraway oil onto those spots.

Massage almond oil 2-3 times a day onto scalp. Or you can try jojoba oil before bedtime onto scalp. A good massage technique is to stand with your feet apart, and bend your back (if you can manage) into an arched position, then massage with your knuckles on your scalp.

Aloe vera and coconut oil are good for the scalp.

As far as your diet goes...these foods should help with the hair loss, and most likely will help with your skin too!

Drinks:

1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water either with or in between meals for 1-2 weeks. (This will help with hair loss)

Fresh squeezed lemon juice with water, or some like it with warm green tea (this will help with your skin)

Fresh alfalfa + spinach juice (good for hair and skin)

plums, asparagus, broccoli, green leafy vegetables, nuts, avocadoes, spinach, kale (are all very good for the hair...and also for the skin)
    ...of course so are other fruits and veggies!

Hope this helps some. Take care...and think about considering Prometheus's diet, I really believe it will help alot with your overall health.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:11 AM   #6
    JD885
    (male)

JD885 HB User

If you think those side effects occured in everyone, don't you think they wouldn't have it out there. I have 3 weeks left of accutane, its worked OK, but the side effects haven't been bad at all. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean you should press your opinion on other people who may benefit from accutane.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
    covergal

covergal HB User

It seems those that don't have that bad of side effects usually get their acne back within a 2-3 years or much much sooner. It's those that have miserable effects that are left with clear skin and sometimes still left with bad skin. Accutane seems kinds of worthless. So many people have to go back on it a second, third, fourth or even a FIFTH time. What's the point?? Find something healthier to do with your body that might actually fix the problem. I would never take things that would damage my eyesight.

Last edited by covergal; 02-23-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by covergal
    It seems those that don't have that bad of side effects usually get their acne back within a 2-3 years or much much sooner. It's those that have miserable effects that are left with clear skin and sometimes still left with bad skin. Accutane seems kinds of worseless. So many people have to go back on it a second, third, fourth or even a FIFTH time. What's the point?? Find something healthier to do with your body that might actually fix the problem. I would never take things that would damage my eyesight.
    My sister took accutane 20 years ago - when she was 13, for severe acne. She had no side effects other than dry lips and skin, which mousterizer and chapstick solved. She was completly clear by the end of her one and only course.
    My other sister and I didn't take it back then, and have both suffered with acne throughout our teenage years and as adults! Our sister who took it has beautiful skin to this day, the acne never returned!

Old 02-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
    SouthernTemptress
    (female)

SouthernTemptress HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Genn
    My sister took accutane 20 years ago - when she was 13, for severe acne. She had no side effects other than dry lips and skin, which mousterizer and chapstick solved. She was completly clear by the end of her one and only course.
    My other sister and I didn't take it back then, and have both suffered with acne throughout our teenage years and as adults! Our sister who took it has beautiful skin to this day, the acne never returned!

That's great that it worked for your two sisters. But there are countless posts on this board of people saying they have to go for a second treatment etc etc. Doesn't give a good impression on the drug. Plus you never know how it will affect your health in the long run. Even a few posts of how it severely damaged people is bad enough. If there is such a slim chance something that awful might happen, I wouldn't do it. To me it's not worth it. I'm a woman so I can easily cover up the problem with makeup. Sorry all you men out there aren't so lucky as to do that.

Last edited by SouthernTemptress; 02-23-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 AM   #10
    noaccutane

noaccutane HB User

Quote:
    The manufacturer admits that a small number of users may experience this side effect, it is listed in the literature. Therefore, they are not lying. If you were to check the actual statistics, you would find that a very small number of accutane users experience this side effect.
    no that is NOT correct. i have the booklet right here, i read it before i started, and i read it again two days ago, i already got in an argument with someone on another board about that. it is NOT in the literature that i got at all, nothing about hair, it is a blue 8.5x11 booklet from roche. don't even believe for a minute that the drug companies lie about the % of side effects and what they are. did you know from 1990 through 2000... "A listing of the top one hundred corporate fraudsters worldwide (Multinational Monitor, July/August 1999) showed the Roche defendants at "Number One", being the largest corporate fraudster worldwide in the 1990's." this is not based on personal opinions, but how much accumlated fines companies have had from govts for fraudulant business practices. very astonishing considering their beating out companies hundreds of times their size such as exxon mobile and adr.

[url]http://www.roaccutaneaction.com/[/url]

Quote:
    This alone will cause serious long term back pain… Sadly, yes, even at your age, you most likely suffer from degenerative disk disease of the spine, caused by your auto accident, not accutane.
    the accident was long before i started accutane.

and it is NOT rare, roche is being fraudulant (what a surprise) about hiding the cases. how come the only two friends i know that took accutane, both had permanent hair loss? they finished their treatment over 2 years ago each and are still osing. just a coincidence? this side effect is common.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    no that is NOT correct. i have the booklet right here, i read it before i started, and i read it again two days ago, i already got in an argument with someone on another board about that. it is NOT in the literature that i got at all, nothing about hair, it is a blue 8.5x11 booklet from roche.
    I have never seen that blue book. I was given a large red book, that does specifically state hair loss as a possible side effect. I would quote it, but it is at home, and I am work.

Quote:
    the accident was long before i started accutane.
    People often do not realize that they have sustained a permanent back injury resulting from a car accident until much later. That is why it can take years to settle a case in court, and why people often get such large jury awards to cover future medical benefits.
    If you are experiencing serious back pain, you should see a back specialist and get an MRI, determine if you have degenerative disk disorder, caused by a previous back injury. You should not have to live in pain at your age, there are a lot of treatment options available.

Quote:
    and it is NOT rare, roche is being fraudulant (what a surprise) about hiding the cases. how come the only two friends i know that took accutane, both had permanent hair loss? they finished their treatment over 2 years ago each and are still osing. just a coincidence? this side effect is common.
    I am sorry that you and your 2 friends have had this happen, but I know at least 10 different people who took accutane at different ages, none have lost hair or suffered any side effects other than dry lips during treatment.

Closed Thread