It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My 13 year old on accutane(LONG POST)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
    GirlienNc

GirlienNc HB User
    Post My 13 year old on accutane(LONG POST)

I decided to let my 13 year old son get accutane after a number of treatments didnt work for him. He had moderate acne on his face and severe cystic acne on his back. He has been on it almost a month and has had some small side effects. He takes one 40mg pill a day. He has had a couple nose bleeds and once complained that his leg was hurting although that lasted only off and on one day. His lips are severly chapped and he keeps chapstick with him constantly. When he went in for his 2nd blood work and checkup he had only been on it for 2 weeks. The dr. wasn't pleased with the new outbreaks he had on his back and suggested when he comes back in March he will be increased to 80mg. She explained that with him weighing 112 pds. that he could take the higher dose. Although its been a few weeks since he has seen the dr. his acne doesnt look a lot better. The oil has decreased ALOT and he is seeing alot of smaller pimples on his face and behind his ears and neck. His back is drying up where some of the cystic bumps were, but he is still seeing some pretty large ones break out. My husband and I have discussed it and we feel that 80mg is too high for him. We are going to suggest maybe 60mg. but thats as far as we want to go and thats kinda pushing it. We have read alot about the side effects and it seems that alot of people have serious side effects with the higher dosages. We ask him all the time if he feels ok and if he has had any headaches or any of the number of symptoms he could have. He probably feels we are nagging him but we just want to make sure he is doing ok with this medicine. I just would like to know has anyone else had luck with 60mg.? Or has anyone increased to 60 and had major side effects? Anything you can tell me is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
    grracne

grracne HB User
    Re: My 13 year old on accutane(LONG POST)

i'He doesnt weigh that much...just hold your ground at 60MG and see how it goes, you're only a month in...no need to push it

Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
    AccutAven
    Veteran

AccutAven HB User

I was on 60mg, but suffer permanent side effects 7 years after finishing treatment. But I had 3 courses, so that is a relevant factor.

Why is your doctor reacting like that? It is USUAL to have a serious breakout for up to 2 months after taking tane, often very bad breakouts worse than you're accustomed to...

AA

The Following User Says Thank You to AccutAven For This Useful Post:
    HopeAwareChange (12-08-2011)
    Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

maybe the doctor doesn't know what they are doing. I don't think any 13 year olds belong on accutane.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

GirlienNc - I know your only trying to help your 13 year old deal with his acne because you love him and see his pain.

I have a 15 year old son. My doctor wanted to put my son on accutane
    when he was 14. I told him NO WAY! I didn't like anything I read about it, I felt my son was too young, he was and still is going through puberty along with the normal teenage stuff of finding themselfs, attitude changes, peer pressure, tanturms, testing parents...The last thing I wanted was my son to deal with Accutane side effects...I was so upset when I left the doctors office and nearly cried because I just felt they were taking the easy way out to cure my son's acne with Medication...
    I am so happy to have found this site with all the good advise and so many suggestions to choose from. If you see my post what I am doing for my son is working. And yes, he is going through exactly what your son is going through...It breaks our hearts to see our happy sons become depressed over the acne and because they are boys putting on Make UP is not an option for them...Just so you know, my son wanted to go tanning last year to hide his acne and I said NO because he was too young and all the issues of tanning.
    (I am a tanner) Well...I have suggested to him I'm ok with it this year only for a base tan to make him feel better since we are working on the inside of healing the acne...I am no way preaching that this is the way to go and I'm sure many people will not agree with me. It's just a suggestion. I will be signing my son up today since he's on Winter Break from school in NH.

Good luck with your son's acne healing.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
    TheWildSide

TheWildSide HB User

I'm not totally understanding your doctors logic either. You're supposed to have an initial breakout, and I think it can be less severe if you taper up your dosage. My doc started me at 10mg, then 20, then 40, and then 60mg, with each change coming within two weeks of the last. That's what HE prescribed, but Im going up much more slowly because I don't want a huge breakout. If you don't want your son to see as severe a breakout, you may want to do the same.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

the reason you get an "initial" breakout on accutane is because the body is getting rid of toxins through the skin. .. like any other bad supplement the body rejects. It is the specific manner of rejecting toxicity that gives certain people acne. When you take a high amount of the chemical cousin of vitamin A (accutane), your body tries its best to get rid of it and it does this the way it has been getting rid of everything else, through the skin...however, eventually if you take enough of it, the chemical cousin of Vitamin A permanently damages the oil producing glands, thus stopping acne itself, but leaving the person with a whole new host of internal problems.

If the oil producing glands ever heal, the acne will return. The reason Accutane is the chemical cousin of Vitamin A and not Vitamin A itself is because if you were taking that high a dose of vitamin A itself you would die. The change allows you to take a much higher dose, isolating its oil gland destructive effects, and live.

Your body relies on the proper metabolization of fats to develop and maintain healthy membranes. Accutane has serious implications on the growth, integrity, and function of the brain. I don't think anyone who is not an adult should be taking accutane.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-23-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
    slick33

slick33 HB User

[QUOTE=prometheus]eventually if you take enough of it, the chemical cousin of Vitamin A permanently damages the oil producing glands, thus stopping acne itself, but leaving the person with a whole new host of internal problems.

I think it's more accurate and responsible to state a whole new "potential" host of internal problems. It does not cause internal problems for everyone. I've been on accutane 3 times and the first time I was 14 and didn't suffer any internal or brain problems to my knowledge.

Last edited by slick33; 02-23-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User

[QUOTE=slick33]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    eventually if you take enough of it, the chemical cousin of Vitamin A permanently damages the oil producing glands, thus stopping acne itself, but leaving the person with a whole new host of internal problems.

I think it's more accurate and responsible to state a whole new "potential" host of internal problems. It does not cause internal problems for everyone. I've been on accutane 3 times and the first time I was 14 and didn't suffer any internal or brain problems to my knowledge.

you didn't suffer any internal or brain problems "to your knowledge". Many people suffer ill effects from medicine/drugs/car wrecks/serious trauma and never realize it until many many years later. I'm not saying you DID...but it is very likely that you may have. My boyfriend was on one round of accutane previously in his lifetime, and although he did not suffer any ill effects for many many years, he is now suffering the ill effects afterwards (confirmed by a doctor), and he took it several years ago. Does he still consider it worth it? Yes, he does...sad...but true. My father was in a terrible car accident as a child and thought no injury came of it, but as time went on that small "pain" in his back got sharper. I know many people my age who drink, do drugs, and smoke and don't seem to experience any "ill side effects"...but I assure you 5...10...20 years down the line it will kick in. Accutane is a powerful drug, if you choose to take it, be very careful. Especially, as Prometheus said, anyone who is not an adult. Take care.

BTW, I am not trying to make any type of "attack" towards anyone who has chosen or is choosing to take accutane. But did want to point out that as Prometheus stated...Accutane damages your oil producing glands. This in itself is a problem. That is why alot of people have reported problems of healing after accutane, and experience wrinkles at an earlier age. Remember to be safe and consider every alternative before making any decisions .

Last edited by MsMeaganMay; 02-23-2004 at 11:30 AM.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 AM   #10
    covergal

covergal HB User

Accutane can close up the growth plates. I've talked to someone who had their child on accutane and he hasn't grown since. I wouldn't suggest accutane to anyone under 17 years. Did your doc talk about this with you?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
    Genn
    (female)

Genn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GirlienNc
    I decided to let my 13 year old son get accutane after a number of treatments didnt work for him. He had moderate acne on his face and severe cystic acne on his back. He has been on it almost a month and has had some small side effects. He takes one 40mg pill a day. He has had a couple nose bleeds and once complained that his leg was hurting although that lasted only off and on one day. His lips are severly chapped and he keeps chapstick with him constantly. When he went in for his 2nd blood work and checkup he had only been on it for 2 weeks. The dr. wasn't pleased with the new outbreaks he had on his back and suggested when he comes back in March he will be increased to 80mg. She explained that with him weighing 112 pds. that he could take the higher dose. Although its been a few weeks since he has seen the dr. his acne doesnt look a lot better. The oil has decreased ALOT and he is seeing alot of smaller pimples on his face and behind his ears and neck. His back is drying up where some of the cystic bumps were, but he is still seeing some pretty large ones break out. My husband and I have discussed it and we feel that 80mg is too high for him. We are going to suggest maybe 60mg. but thats as far as we want to go and thats kinda pushing it. We have read alot about the side effects and it seems that alot of people have serious side effects with the higher dosages. We ask him all the time if he feels ok and if he has had any headaches or any of the number of symptoms he could have. He probably feels we are nagging him but we just want to make sure he is doing ok with this medicine. I just would like to know has anyone else had luck with 60mg.? Or has anyone increased to 60 and had major side effects? Anything you can tell me is appreciated.
    My sister took accutane when she was 13. She got amazing results, never had her acne return, and avoided being left with scars or the emotional damage that having acne as a teenager can cause. She is 33 now, and in 20 years she has never had any side effects or problems related to accutane . I just wish I had taken back then, instead of suffering with the acne for 2 decades!

She also started on 40 mg - the first month, then went to alternating 40 mg one day and 80 mg the next, so that it averaged to 60 mg in her system. She said that she had dry lips, and dry skin, but chapstick and mousterizer did the trick, and it was not bad at all.

A lot of people on these boards seem to assume that they somehow are better educated about this drug, and acne in general, than real medical doctors with actual medical degrees, and must enjoy scaring the crap out of people by repeatedly proclaiming every *possible* negative thing the have ever heard about accutane. Though some claim to have problems related to accutane years down the road, I have yet to hear this has ever acctually been proven!

As for your sons dosage, I know that it is common to start on a lower dosage, get the body adjusted, and gradually move up, in order to avoid having side effects. I agree with what others have said about talking to the doctor about going up to 60 mg first... I know several people who started at 40 mg and then went to 60 mg after the first month, and had a lot of success with thier treatment.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #12
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

LOL. If I didn't know more than my doctors I would still have acne and other problems.

But if it makes you feel any better, a lot of PhD's and medical doctors agree with me.

Accutane works by causing problems. It works by damaging the oil glands and interfering with the body's normal metabolization of fats. I meant it when I said it creates a whole new host of internal problems..not probable or possible or potential problems...just problems. That's how it works.

I don't care if someone's sisters friend's cousin has no problems that they relate to their accutane. Likewise, I don't care (I do care it just doesn't make a difference here) if someone's sister's friends cousin had their hair fall out from accutane. It doesn't make a difference in how the chemical works inside the body and what it does. Everyone has a quality of life and a level of health that they aim for or that they tolerate. I don't think anyone who is not an adult should take this drug. It is just too risky. The reason depression is one of the possible side effects of accutane is because of its effects on the brain.

But the point is..Accutane works by causing problems. It works via its destructive effects on oil glands and oil metabolization. People being (apparently) asymptomatic of internal damage doesn't change that.

Last edited by prometheus; 02-23-2004 at 01:08 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #13
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User

Genn, Prometheus and others on these boards have had more answers to my problems, questions, or concerns than ANY doctor I have ever visited. They can explain to me more about diet, the effects of medicines, and the symptoms of diseases better than any dermatologist I have seen before, and even better than my general doctor (who is a very good doctor that really tries to help and relate to her patients). Not only can they answer these questions, but they can also RELATE to my problem, SHARE their experiences, and PROVIDE not only research to back up their comments but also suggestions that they know (from personal experience) that have helped them and could help me. Plus, the advice, suggestions, and information is FREE Unfortunatly not every doctor is highly informed on every subject (most just keep on referring you to different doctors), and most see you for 5 minutes, write you a prescription, and send you on your way with a pat on the back and a "if this doesnt work..see me in 3 months and I'll give you some more pills to try". Sorry I'm going off so much, but I have had VERY bad experiences with doctors and getting true, honest, and beneficial advice is something none of them provided me with. Besides...don't they make you sign some paper before taking accutane? (think I have heard that they do) That right there warns you of the dangers of this drug. Take care. BTW, if your still trying to get clear, these boards offer great suggestions for any and every type of "route" you might choose...along with the effects, and experiences they have had with each option. Good Luck .

Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #14
    SouthernTemptress
    (female)

SouthernTemptress HB User

I feel sorry for people that put ALL of their trust into ONE doctor or dermatologist... whatever it may be. Likely they might get screwed. The docs DON'T have all the answers but sometimes act like they do. I have had bad experiences, but I'm sure others have had pretty good experiences. The most important thing to do is not rely on a doc so much and try educating yourself first as well. The doc is not going to think about your health as much as you do. Most of them just want your money.

But anyways, I can't believe accutane is prescribed to kids as young as 13. Accutane is dangerous as it is and I can only imagine how it will affect someone that young. I have heard about how it fuses the growth plates also. Plus when a person has skin problems that young, it is more likely they will grow out of it by 17-18. Those that get acne later, usually it sticks around for quite a while. Everyone is different, but they should have used the time factor for a few years... afterall he's only 13!!!

Old 02-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #15
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

MsMeaganWay and Southern Temptress-
    THANK YOU.Thank YOU..very well put and you secured my feelings all along about "my decision" not to put my 15 year old boy on Ac****une.

Closed Thread