It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Bleaching Skins for Red Marks???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
    Mercury2234

Mercury2234 HB User
    Bleaching Skins for Red Marks???

Hello,
    Ive been on Accutane for 4 months now and most of my acne is gone, however it did leave horrible red marks on both my cheeks. Now, i tried to get something prescribed to me from my doctor, but he told me to just be patient and the red marks will eventually go away. However, these marks have been on my face for over 3 months and to be quite honest, none of them show ANY sign of improvement. I am taking Vitam E 1000IU everynight. I tried by putting it on my face, but it just gave me more breakouts and my doctor encouraged me not to do it, since theres no reason why to do that. Also, I'm a side sleeper, so no help there. =(
    Anyways, i read posts about people bleaching their skins, so I decided to go with MD Forte Skin Bleaching Gel 1.5 oz. on dermadoctor.com
    Has anybody tried this??? I just ordered this a few minutes ago, and keep in mind Im a guy, so, I dont have help from foundation, makeups and so forth.
    Sorry for the long post, but i really need help on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User
    Re: Bleaching Skins for Red Marks???

I don't know what kind of bleach this is but I wouldn't have thought it was a particularly good idea. I'm afraid your best bet for losing red marks is to wait patiently. They will fade over time - it just doesn't seem that way on a day-to-day basis.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
    guychan

guychan HB User

i have been using porcelana, i bought it from a local cvs store. I didnt have accutane,but did have a few acne marks. Stuff works great,huge bottle and not to espensive i think 7 dollars.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury2234
    Hello,
    Ive been on Accutane for 4 months now and most of my acne is gone, however it did leave horrible red marks on both my cheeks. Now, i tried to get something prescribed to me from my doctor, but he told me to just be patient and the red marks will eventually go away. However, these marks have been on my face for over 3 months and to be quite honest, none of them show ANY sign of improvement. I am taking Vitam E 1000IU everynight. I tried by putting it on my face, but it just gave me more breakouts and my doctor encouraged me not to do it, since theres no reason why to do that. Also, I'm a side sleeper, so no help there. =(
    Anyways, i read posts about people bleaching their skins, so I decided to go with MD Forte Skin Bleaching Gel 1.5 oz. on dermadoctor.com
    Has anybody tried this??? I just ordered this a few minutes ago, and keep in mind Im a guy, so, I dont have help from foundation, makeups and so forth.
    Sorry for the long post, but i really need help on this.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
    jalia

jalia HB User

I've been researching fading agents and it appears to me that there are a few ingredients that work.

One is hydroquinone. It is a strong bleaching agent available by prescription up to 4%. It usually comes in a greasy cream which is very acnegenic. However, some new gels have come out as well, which I'm looking into. Some over the counter products have hydroquinone in them but at very low concentration.

Another is tretinoin, a vit A derivative in Retin-A and Accutane. This is not a bleaching agent per se, but it does help with cell turnover and supposedly reduces marks over time.

A third is azelaic acid, which is found in prescription creams like Azelex or Skinoren. It can be irritating to some, and it takes a lot of time to work, but it has been proven to fade marks (I can attest to this). it supposedly works particularly well in darker skin types.

A fourth is kojic acid. This one is a little more contraversial and studies are inconclusive so far, but it has been shown in some to be helpful. It can be found in some over the counter products, particularly at health food stores. i don't know the concentration needed for efficacy.

Hope this helped. By the way, stay away from vit E. it's an oily compound that is very acnegenic.

-jalia

Closed Thread