It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

The idiots guide to B5

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2004, 02:35 PM   #16
Greeno4England
(male)

Greeno4England HB User
Re: The idiots guide to B5

And i STILL cant find nowhere that ships twin labs b5 to the uk!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #17
dfwgoodguy
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

damnit, ive already gone thru a bottle of twinlabs, taking 8g's a day and im still pretty oily. I ran out of that just after i ordered another 100count and a 200 count. So i guess im going to stick with 8 grams a little while longer. Recently im getting some cysts in spots i never get cysts, so im wondering of im going through another initial or its just b5 causing problems. Because ive heard its not good for cystic type acne, so im getting worried, but gonna tough it out through these 300pills. I feel if i havn't noticed any change with this amount and now taking 16pills a day, then maybe its not gonna work for me. But anyways, we'll see..heard that the oil pretty much just stops quickly, so hopefully that day(s) is coming soon.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #18
roxcyn
Veteran
(male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

Here are some questions/concerns I have:

(1) I'm reading that the "adequate intake" of b5 is 5 miligrams per day, so is it bad if you take more of that? Is there side effects if you take a lot, some of you said you are taking 1 gram?
(2) Can it be applied directly on the skin?
(3) Which type of b5 is best? I'm taking a vitamin with these things Supplement Facts: Vitamin A (40% as Beta Carotene;5000 IU), Vitamin C (60 mg), Vitamin D ( 400 IU), Vitamin E ( 30 IU), Vitamin K ( 25 mcg), Thiamin (B1) ( 1.5 mg), Riboflavin (B2) ( 1.7 mg), Niacin (B3) (as Niaciinamide 20 mg), Vitamin B6 ( 2 mg), Folate,Folic ( Acid,Folacin ( 400 mcg), Vitamin B12 ( 6 mcg), Biotin ( 30 mcg), Pantothenic acid ( 10 mg), Calcium ( 162 mg), Iron ( 18 mg), Phosphorus ( 109 mg), Iodine ( 150 mcg), Magnesium ( 100 mg), Zinc ( 15 mg), Selenium ( 20 mcg), Copper ( 2 mg), Manganese ( 3.5 mg), Chromium ( 65 mcg), Molybdenum ( 0.16 mg), Chloride ( 72 mg), Potassium ( 80 mg), Nickel ( 5 mcg), Tin ( 10 mcg), Silicon ( 2 mg), Vanadium ( 10 mcg), Boron ( 150 mcg). So you can see no B5, should I take a B5 supplement with it?

Old 05-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
dfwgoodguy
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Sure you can take b5 (panteothenic acid) with your vitamin u take now. You should start out with 8g's a day if you have pretty oily skin. The only side effects i have seen are gas, and diarrea. They are not bothersome, so they aren't a big deal at all. But you also need to take a dose of "biotin" with every dose of b5 you take. 8g's is 16 500mg pills. I take 4/4/4/4 and take a dose of "biotin" with every dose (4 doses) And take 1 "b-complex" a day. I usually take the b-complex after i have taken two doses of b5, but it doesn't matter when you take it. You need to be taking biotin and a b-complex with b5 megadosing to prevent other side effects like hairloss, and others im sure.

So just do that and you'll be fine. And you can take it with your multivitamin u are taking. You should also get TwinLabs B5, order it off the net. You will need to get a couple of bottles, i recommend maybe a 100count and a 200 count, or 2 200 count bottles. Since you are taking 16 pills a day, it only lasts about a week. B5, takes much longer to work, a month or 2, maybe even more. I have been taking b5 for about 2 months, just recently got good brand (twinlabs) from using GNC (bad brand) and only taking 4g's. Now i have been taking 8g's for about 2 weeks. I have recently went thru a nice breakout which would be called an initial breakout. (hopefully)

Which is a breakout you might get when its starting to take effect. I am hoping this is an initial, and when these cysts are gone, my oil will fade, and so will the cysts.

Anways, good luck...b5 is worth a shot.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-13-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #20
Big Alex123

Big Alex123 HB User

Hey...I just got off of Accutane a couple weeks ago. I had really bad acne on my back and chest and it cleared up very well. However, after a few weeks of being off of it I'm noticing that I am breaking out a little more and I don't want to have to start back up again. I was just wondering if I should and if it would be alright to take b5 after accutane? And if anyone else has...how did it work out? thanks

Old 05-10-2004, 04:20 AM   #21
Pilky
(male)

Pilky HB User

This thread has convinced me to try out B5, i ordered some Twinlab and i am going to give this a try. I also have a bottle of GNC Liqua B Complex 50 that i will be taking along with this. It contains 50mg of Biotin in it, is this enough to take with the B5 or should i by some more?

Last edited by Administrator; 10-13-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #22
chemicaldreamer

chemicaldreamer HB User

I didn't bothered to read the thread, but i'll just say that B5 has worked for me. Been on it for about two months now, first 3 weeks, i took 5-6grams a day, and it completely cleared my acne. So then i dropped it down to 2g, hoping i could do maintenance at that dosage... it was fine for almost a month at 2g, but i just got my first zit about a week ago, so upped it to 3g... and so far so good.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:59 AM   #23
chemicaldreamer

chemicaldreamer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex773310
i disagree, i believe 1g of B5 is enough, remember your body only absorbs what it needs from this..1g is plentiful enough, hell, even 500 MG would be good, 1g a day, long term would have a great effect on your acne, 10g however, your body would get so used to it, there would just be no effect, B5 doesn't have an initial breakout for everyone, it's different for different p[eople, but generally reports of initial breakouts are very low.
Like so many times i've read this statement, that the body only absords what it needs, and flushes the rest out. This is partly true, but you're misintepretating it wrong. The body can use MUCH more than 1g, more than 10g or 20g... it just doesn't stay in your system very long. It's water soluable, which means that it leaves the system quickly (on a daily basis, so you need to replenish it daily). If it wasn't water soluable, then it would be stored and accumulated in fat cells and the liver/kidney, which would be extremely dangerous (IE vitamins A, D, E) and toxic.

So yes, your body flushes it out quickly, so it doesn't accumulate in your body and become toxic. But just because your body flushes it out, doesn't mean it is excess that wasn't any use. It's simply because the body didn't get a chance to use it before it got flushed.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #24
tgoulart4
(female)

tgoulart4 HB User

can u take b5 while on accutane?

Old 05-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #25
Anibanani
Veteran
(female)

Anibanani HB User

I used Pantethine for about three weeks, I started out taking 3 300mg pills a day with biotin and b complex then I went to 4 a day I had a bad breakout initially, but it didnt do anything for the oiliness. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here I thought taking 4 to 5 pantethine a day would do the same as 5 grams of b5. I'm so bummed out, this sucks. How long is this supposed to take to see improvement anyway? I think I'm gonna go back to taking b5 from gnc when I took 2 grams of that a day my face improved in like 4 days. it just sucks cause I bought 2 bottles of pantethine and it WAS expensive.

Old 05-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #26
jornella
(male)

jornella HB User

Anibanani, i am with you on the pantethine. I took first 900, then 1200, finally 1500 mg of it for roughly a month and to no effect. B5 is the only thing that worked for me even though i had to stop cause of losing hair. Maybe I will take a low dosage of 1-2 g of B5 and see if that helps at all. If I were you I would go back on the B5.

Old 05-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #27
dfwgoodguy
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

hmm..ive been taking 8g's of b5 and getting my bad initial breakout. (i believe)
My oil has also not decreased at all. So im wondering if after my breakout my oil should start decreasing or just cease on one day or something. Id say, before you go back to b5, id finish off your pantethine. Then goto b5 if you feel the rest of the pantethine didn't help you out. Why not up to 5 pills a day or 6 for the rest of the time. 3 weeks might be borderline long enough or not long enough at all. I keep hearing that the oil pretty much just stops all the sudden. Im going to stick through this breakout and hope for the best. Since i never get cysts in the spots im getting cysts now, and getting a shitload of them, im gonna keep my head up and look at the future without acne. lol Thats what keeps me from being depressed or upset.

Good Luck, stick with it a lil longer homie...allstarhealth have pantethine pretty cheap.

They do have a "atkins" brand..30caps, 450mg each...and its 24$, so maybe that stuff is the shiznit...:P or you can get 60caps "NOW" brand 300mg for 14$...not bad..

Old 05-11-2004, 05:03 PM   #28
roxcyn
Veteran
(male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

Here is some vitamin toxicity I've seen for some of the B vitiamins (in B complex) think again of taking about taking a lot of b complex

VITAMIN B12

Vitamin B12 is important in the treatment of pernicious anemia. Pernicious anemia is more common among middle-aged and older adults; it is usually detected in patients between the ages of 40 and 80. The disease affects about 0.1% of all persons in the general population in the United States, and about 3% of the elderly population. Pernicious anemia is treated with large doses of vitamin B12. Typically, 0.1 mg of the vitamin is injected each week until the symptoms of pernicious anemia disappear. The patient then takes oral doses of vitamin B12 for the rest of his or her life. Although vitamin B12 toxicity is not an issue for patients being treated for pernicious anemia, treatment of these patients with folic acid may cause problems. Specifically, pernicious anemia is often first detected because the patient feels weak or tired. If the anemia is not treated, the patient may suffer irreversible nerve damage. The problem with folic acid supplements is that the folic acid treatment prevents the anemia from developing, but allows the eventual nerve damage to occur.

VITAMIN B6

Vitamin B6 is clearly toxic at doses about 1000 times the RDA. Daily doses of 2-5 grams of one specific form of this vitamin can produce difficulty in walking and tingling sensations in the legs and soles of the feet. Continued megadoses of vitamin B6 result in further unsteadiness, difficulty in handling small objects, and numbness in the hands. When the high doses are stopped, recovery begins after two months. Complete recovery may take two to three years

NIACIN

The RDA for niacin is 15-19 mg per day in adults. Niacin comes in two forms, nicotinic acid and nicotinamide. Either form can satisfy the adult requirement for this vitamin. Nicotinic acid, however, is toxic at levels of 100 times the RDA. It can cause flushing of the skin, nausea, diarrhea, and liver damage. Flushing is an increase in blood passing through the veins in the skin, due to the dilation of arteries passing through deeper parts of the face or other parts of the body. In spite of the side effects, however, large doses of nicotinic acid are often used to lower blood cholesterol in order to prevent heart disease. Nicotinic acid results in a lowering of LDL-cholesterol ("bad cholesterol"), an increase in HDL-cholesterol ("good cholesterol"), and a decrease in plasma triglycerides. Treatment involves daily doses of 1.5-4.0 grams of nicotinic acid per day. Flushing of the skin occurs as a side effect when nicotinic acid therapy is started, but may disappear with continued therapy.

Last edited by roxcyn; 05-11-2004 at 05:04 PM.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #29
Big Alex123

Big Alex123 HB User

i have looked for b5 everywhere...GNC, and pharmacies and I can't find it anywhere. I'm pretty sure you dont need a perscription so can anyone tell me where they get it?

Old 05-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #30
dfwgoodguy
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

b5 is called "Panteothenic Acid". You can find it at GNC in their brand, which is not a good brand. allstarhealth have awesome prices on TwinLabs Brand B5, buy a couple of bottles and also order b-complex (taken once a day) and also biotin (taken with ever b5 dosage). Take 8g's of b5, which is 16 pills a day. Break down into 4's, 4/4/4/4. Take b-complex once a day, and a biotin, or half a biotin pill with each of the doses.

Closed Thread