It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

The idiots guide to B5

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #31
chemicaldreamer

chemicaldreamer HB User
Re: The idiots guide to B5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxcyn
Here is some vitamin toxicity I've seen for some of the B vitiamins (in B complex) think again of taking about taking a lot of b complex

VITAMIN B6

Vitamin B6 is clearly toxic at doses about 1000 times the RDA. Daily doses of 2-5 grams of one specific form of this vitamin can produce difficulty in walking and tingling sensations in the legs and soles of the feet. Continued megadoses of vitamin B6 result in further unsteadiness, difficulty in handling small objects, and numbness in the hands. When the high doses are stopped, recovery begins after two months. Complete recovery may take two to three years
I call BS. Wanna give us the link to this information or abstract?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2004, 09:39 PM   #32
dfwgoodguy
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

I think it could be possible if you too more than one b-complex a day. I beleive he is saying more than one a day, i have gone through 2 bottles of high potenct b-complex, taking one a day, and have had none of the side effects stated, so i only assume he/she means more than one a day.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #33
flim flam
Inactive

flim flam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxcyn
Here is some vitamin toxicity I've seen for some of the B vitiamins (in B complex) think again of taking about taking a lot of b complex

VITAMIN B12

Vitamin B12 is important in the treatment of pernicious anemia. Pernicious anemia is more common among middle-aged and older adults; it is usually detected in patients between the ages of 40 and 80. The disease affects about 0.1% of all persons in the general population in the United States, and about 3% of the elderly population. Pernicious anemia is treated with large doses of vitamin B12. Typically, 0.1 mg of the vitamin is injected each week until the symptoms of pernicious anemia disappear. The patient then takes oral doses of vitamin B12 for the rest of his or her life. Although vitamin B12 toxicity is not an issue for patients being treated for pernicious anemia, treatment of these patients with folic acid may cause problems. Specifically, pernicious anemia is often first detected because the patient feels weak or tired. If the anemia is not treated, the patient may suffer irreversible nerve damage. The problem with folic acid supplements is that the folic acid treatment prevents the anemia from developing, but allows the eventual nerve damage to occur.

VITAMIN B6

Vitamin B6 is clearly toxic at doses about 1000 times the RDA. Daily doses of 2-5 grams of one specific form of this vitamin can produce difficulty in walking and tingling sensations in the legs and soles of the feet. Continued megadoses of vitamin B6 result in further unsteadiness, difficulty in handling small objects, and numbness in the hands. When the high doses are stopped, recovery begins after two months. Complete recovery may take two to three years

NIACIN

The RDA for niacin is 15-19 mg per day in adults. Niacin comes in two forms, nicotinic acid and nicotinamide. Either form can satisfy the adult requirement for this vitamin. Nicotinic acid, however, is toxic at levels of 100 times the RDA. It can cause flushing of the skin, nausea, diarrhea, and liver damage. Flushing is an increase in blood passing through the veins in the skin, due to the dilation of arteries passing through deeper parts of the face or other parts of the body. In spite of the side effects, however, large doses of nicotinic acid are often used to lower blood cholesterol in order to prevent heart disease. Nicotinic acid results in a lowering of LDL-cholesterol ("bad cholesterol"), an increase in HDL-cholesterol ("good cholesterol"), and a decrease in plasma triglycerides. Treatment involves daily doses of 1.5-4.0 grams of nicotinic acid per day. Flushing of the skin occurs as a side effect when nicotinic acid therapy is started, but may disappear with continued therapy.
That doesn't prove anything, since none of those are the same as B5.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #34
roxcyn
Veteran
(male)

roxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB Userroxcyn HB User

Hello you all, well we're not supposed to post links so I pasted it from a scientific site (I only take their information with the most weight), not like a commercial site. Well I was just worried for the one person taking 16 B5 pills, that did sound like a lot to me, so I decided to search it on google. Just put "vitamin toxicity" and you'll find some vitamin toxicity levels. Well you're right, B5 doesn't have a toxicity level, but if you take lots of the b complex then that will not be good. Peace!

Last edited by roxcyn; 05-12-2004 at 04:49 PM.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #35
Memnoch636

Memnoch636 HB User

Apperently roxcyn didn't get the memo. I advocate taking large amounts of B5, wich has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be non toxic.
I also tell people to take ONE b-complex pill a day.
Twenty B5 pills a day.
One B complex pill a day.
Absolutly safe.

I have mentioned before that B6, and B12 are the vitamins you need to look out for. B6 is critical for ance, but taking over 100 mg a day for any period of time is asking for trouble. Too much B12 has been shown to trigger an acne atack, and hold that atack indefenetly
However B3 is fairly safe. It is "toxic" but no human has ever died from it. There was a study done using dogs, where a dog was fed 1/4 his weight in B3. The dog died.
B3 (niacin) is very safe to take, and benificial. Unless you plan on taking 3 grams a day for months on end, don't worry about 'too much' B3.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #36
Anibanani
Veteran
(female)

Anibanani HB User

F this I'm going back to b5 I'm just ****** cause I wasted 40 dollars on 2 bottles of Pantethine. for those of you who are curious, pantethine does NOT work, I speak from experience.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:57 AM   #37
it-jbl

it-jbl HB User
My FAQ

I have also made a FAQ about B5. A big one.

Unfortunately, I'm somehow not allowed to post it here in this forum.

I'll ask them why.....

Old 05-16-2004, 10:37 AM   #38
steven2984us
(male)

steven2984us HB User

i know this has been asked an endless amount of time but what's the cost of a month's supply of b5 and the other vitamins needed?

sorry but my eyes just hurt too much to look through the pages, thanks

Old 05-16-2004, 07:44 PM   #39
dfwgoodguy
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

20pills a day of b5 (panteothenic acid) split every 2-3 hours take 5/5/5/5
Also buy some Biotin, taking a dose of biotin with every dose of b5 (5/5/5/5)
And take one b-complex a day, i take mine in the middle (5/5/complex/5/5) But you don't have to do that.

You need to make sure you take those additional vitamins to prevent hairloss or jacked up hair.

allstarhealth = awesome prices, twinlabs is the brand you wanna get. Get at least 2 bottles now, and be sure to reorder in the middle of 2nd bottle, or middle of any last bottle you have. You might be lucky or unlucky on the amount you will have taken for it to take effect. Id say you'll need 4-5 bottles, you should notice a diff.

100pills = 5 days / 5 bottles = 500pills = 25 days You should should notice diff by then or sooner, but could also be couple more bottles later. Its trial and error.

Ive been on it for a long time now, but i used 4g's GNC brand (bad brand for b5) for 2 months, then twinlabs 8g's for about a week and a half. Now 10g's for the last 4-5days, i got a pretty bad breakout (initial breakout) which you may or maynot get. Start with 10g's, my mistake was using smaller doses.

I say if you've tried all other crap, give this a go...costs a bit much...but no acne would be worth every penny. Good Luck

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 05-16-2004 at 07:51 PM.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:41 AM   #40
Jon Dough

Jon Dough HB User

I want to keep this up top.

I feel it's an important thread for people to read.

Feel free to post anymore experiences/advice.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 AM   #41
Jon Dough

Jon Dough HB User

Again, just wanted to keep up top.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #42
a140

a140 HB User

I just registered to this site and I would like to share my experience with B5. I know that dealing with acne is very difficult and emotional and that people can sometimes get defensive about things that have worked well for them but I just felt that I should post this because my experience with B5 was not so positive. I started B5 treatment just about two years ago. It was in October and within about a month or so, I was sooo much clearer. The only place I was continuing to break out was on my chin. I continued to improve but by December, I was starting to notice some pain and numbness in my feet. In late December, I was doing some Christmas shopping and I could barely make it around the mall. My feet and legs hurt and felt heavy. I was having difficulty walking. I ignored these symptoms for quite some time and refused to think that it might be the B5 because I was so happy with how my skin was looking. I had been taking a multivitamin and a B-Complex supplement while I was using the B5. I had researched very carefully about vitamin toxicity and what water soluble meant before using it. My symptoms eventually got so bad that I was waking up with numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. I stopped taking the B5 and noticed improvement in my arms and legs right away but continued to have the symptoms on and off for about a year. It is now exactly 2 years later and I finally feel like my old self. I don't blame anyone for wanting to try anything they can for their acne, I just want to tell people to be careful and pay close attention to what your body is telling you while taking it. Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would steer clear of B5. It led to a very scary time in my life. I am young and in shape and I felt like an old woman. I thought that I would never feel normal again. I weigh about 115 pounds and I'm convinced that taking such large amounts of B5 took its toll on my health. I hope people will read and this and just be careful. God bless.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:33 PM   #43
artlan
(male)

artlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by a140
I just registered to this site and I would like to share my experience with B5. I know that dealing with acne is very difficult and emotional and that people can sometimes get defensive about things that have worked well for them but I just felt that I should post this because my experience with B5 was not so positive. I started B5 treatment just about two years ago. It was in October and within about a month or so, I was sooo much clearer. The only place I was continuing to break out was on my chin. I continued to improve but by December, I was starting to notice some pain and numbness in my feet. In late December, I was doing some Christmas shopping and I could barely make it around the mall. My feet and legs hurt and felt heavy. I was having difficulty walking. I ignored these symptoms for quite some time and refused to think that it might be the B5 because I was so happy with how my skin was looking. I had been taking a multivitamin and a B-Complex supplement while I was using the B5. I had researched very carefully about vitamin toxicity and what water soluble meant before using it. My symptoms eventually got so bad that I was waking up with numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. I stopped taking the B5 and noticed improvement in my arms and legs right away but continued to have the symptoms on and off for about a year. It is now exactly 2 years later and I finally feel like my old self. I don't blame anyone for wanting to try anything they can for their acne, I just want to tell people to be careful and pay close attention to what your body is telling you while taking it. Personally, if I had to do it all over again, I would steer clear of B5. It led to a very scary time in my life. I am young and in shape and I felt like an old woman. I thought that I would never feel normal again. I weigh about 115 pounds and I'm convinced that taking such large amounts of B5 took its toll on my health. I hope people will read and this and just be careful. God bless.
Glad to hear that your doing well now....

I was just wondering, did you experience any hair loss/thinning while on B5?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #44
ClearlyUnclear

ClearlyUnclear HB User

Does B5 help Back acne?

Also, im not a fan of pills, Does B5 come in liquid form? Thanks people

Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #45
a140

a140 HB User

Artlan,
I do remember losing more hair than usual while I was taking B5. There always seemed to be a ton coming off onto my hands while washing it and there was a lot more than usual in the drain after showering. But it wasn't enough that I ever got all that concerned about it. I still had lots of it left on my head and it didn't feel really thin or sparse to me or anything.

Closed Thread