It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My experience with spironolactone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
    jalia

jalia HB User
    My experience with spironolactone

Hi all,
    I've been on spiro for 3 months, 50 mg/day. This is at the low end of the suggested dose spectrum. So far it has worked great. It has not affected my oiliness but has reduced breakouts significantly.
    The only thing I have noticed (aside from peeing more often--it is a diuretic after all) is that my period is screwy. I know spiro works by blocking testosterone, and I had read that it can affect the menstrual cycle, but I am concerned as I have been getting my period every 2 weeks or so and I am worried about becoming anemic! It's also a pain in the ***.

-jalia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Re: My experience with spironolactone

Hey,
    I have also been on spiro for a bit over 3 months. I had very mild acne and still get the occasional pimple but much better than before. I am on 50 mg daily too; however, last month I blacked out and felt real thirsty and nauseous all of the sudden and my doctor said the spiro had extremely dehydrated me since it's a diuretic. I still take it but usually every other day to keep things under control. I would definitely recommend spiro but make sure you drink lots of water!!

Old 03-10-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
    member86
    (female)

member86 HB User

How long does it usually take before Spiro kicks in? What I mean by that is does it start regulating hormones immediately?

Old 03-11-2004, 03:40 AM   #4
    chicken1

chicken1 HB User

jalia:
    who rx'd spiro for you.? derm, gyno, endo? same question for all of you. I just saw an endo yesterday..have a battery of blood tests to take for possible pcos...neither my derm nor gyno will rx it for me so i;m seeing the endo and i've got my fingers crossed he detects something

Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM   #5
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

My derm prescribed it without me asking or even knowing what it is. I would say it took about a month before I noticed a huge improvement.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
    member86
    (female)

member86 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latayy26
    My derm prescribed it without me asking or even knowing what it is. I would say it took about a month before I noticed a huge improvement.

Cool. I'll keep taking it and I'll keep you all posted. I know I'll 'start' clearing up once my period starts, and once those are almost gone, I break out bad again. Hopefully with spiro, I won't break out at least as bad as usual. Thanks Jalia.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
    chicken1

chicken1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latayy26
    do you have male pattern hairyness? how bad was your acne when he/she prescribed it?

Old 03-11-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chicken1
    do you have male pattern hairyness? how bad was your acne when he/she prescribed it?
    No, I am not hairy AT ALL. I have a fair complexion with blonde hair. My acne has never been that bad, only very very mild. I would usually get most of my pimples the week before my period would start so I think that told my derm that this is mostly hormonal which is what spiro deals with. It didn't seem such a big deal for him to prescribe this for me as it seems like for other acne patients on this board.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 PM   #9
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

almost if not all acne in male and females is hormonal!!!spiro does make you thirsty but it isnt any big deal.i have been on it 17.5 months and not one breakout since i went on it.i was still getting cystic acne right up until i went on spiro.it also calms you down which is a plus for me.it makes your hair great.i could go a month without washing my hair and it still would look great.im on 100 mgs a day.it kills your sex drive...least in males it does...but i still would rather have clear skin over sex.spiro would actually work better in males because they dont have all the woman problems but the main thing that keeps guys from taking it is the steril thing.otherwise it would work great for guys.its a last resort for males because of this even after accutane.like i said before if the skin totally clears for a guy then he has to worry about being steril.my derm has some guys on 25mgs a day probably not enough to clear the skin but so it doesnt get out of control and scar up the skin.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 PM   #10
    member86
    (female)

member86 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeh
    almost if not all acne in male and females is hormonal!!!spiro does make you thirsty but it isnt any big deal.i have been on it 17.5 months and not one breakout since i went on it.i was still getting cystic acne right up until i went on spiro.it also calms you down which is a plus for me.it makes your hair great.i could go a month without washing my hair and it still would look great.im on 100 mgs a day.it kills your sex drive...least in males it does...but i still would rather have clear skin over sex.spiro would actually work better in males because they dont have all the woman problems but the main thing that keeps guys from taking it is the steril thing.otherwise it would work great for guys.its a last resort for males because of this even after accutane.like i said before if the skin totally clears for a guy then he has to worry about being steril.my derm has some guys on 25mgs a day probably not enough to clear the skin but so it doesnt get out of control and scar up the skin.
    So you stopped breaking out w/ cysts completely once you went on Spiro?

Wow, I'm getting stoked here. I love the calming effect it has had on me so far. Usually I have terrible mood swings about this time.

So do you know if you have to keep taking it forever or can you stop?

Old 03-12-2004, 03:11 AM   #11
    chicken1

chicken1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chicken1
    wow!...do you live near nyc??? jeez, trying to get a spiro prescription out of all three of my docs is a toothpulling excercise in futility....if anyone knows a doc near nyc, who's open to spiro, please, please tell me

Old 03-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #12
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

yes my face was a terrible oily mess with greasey hair i had to wash everyday with dandriff.my back was oily with cysts too.after a couple of weeks on spiro my skin cleared completely.yes you have to take it everyday......well some people might go every other day.its inexpensive compared to other anti-androgens.also go on a low carb diet.im eating much better but i cant stick to it 100 per cent.you might want to research sweet jade 1s post because she is really right on the top of everything.yes their is a cure for acne but i doubt if many would go to this extreme.getting rid of your reproductive organs would do the trick bewcause you wouldnt be producing much testosterone except maybe the adrenal glands might still produce some.well a guy could have a sex change and a girl couldnt have babies.i dont expect anyone to go to those extremes but i think it would cure your acne.keep taking your spiro and go on the low carb diet and drink lots of water.KEEP your skin from scarring because even though they have new scar treatments out....a lot of them dont help that much.....it very hard to get rid of even light scarring.i have spent 10,000 dollars in the past 2 years on scar treatments and i still have scars.micro dermabrasions didnt help,4 acid peels before my co2 resurfacing didnt do much.i had 2 thermages at the cost of 3300 dollars for both and it has helped somewhat.i think you might want to try the smoothbeam laser for acne scarring but even that probably get rid of all your scarring.girls have much thinner skin and im a guy so the thermage did great where my skin was the thinnest like the side of my forehead so it might work better on a girls skin.make sure you get your blood test on spiro too evev though 50 mgs a day isnt that much.see ya!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #13
    jalia

jalia HB User

to be honest about how i got spironolactone, i researched spiro in the medical literature and decided to start it on my own, at the lowest dose (50 mg/day), and then bought it generic (aldactone) online. i realize this isn't the best way to do it, but i've spent to much money and time with derms and precriptions. anyway i plan to have my blood checked regularly to monitor my potassium (high K+ is very dangerous in terms of cardiac arrhythmias and the way spiro works as a diuretic is to raise K+ levels in the blood.)
    -jalia

Old 03-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #14
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jalia
    to be honest about how i got spironolactone, i researched spiro in the medical literature and decided to start it on my own, at the lowest dose (50 mg/day), and then bought it generic (aldactone) online. i realize this isn't the best way to do it, but i've spent to much money and time with derms and precriptions. anyway i plan to have my blood checked regularly to monitor my potassium (high K+ is very dangerous in terms of cardiac arrhythmias and the way spiro works as a diuretic is to raise K+ levels in the blood.)
    -jalia

Did you ever consider taking birth control pills to balance your hormones? Also, will you ask your doctor to help you monitor your blood levels now that you've ordered this drug on-line.

I believe spiro will mess up your periods if you don't take it with BCP.

Last edited by skimom; 03-12-2004 at 07:05 PM.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:29 AM   #15
    Karl2
    (male)

Karl2 HB User

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if Gold Coin Grass (Chinese herb taken for liver/gallblader cleanse) will affect people on Spironolactone? Gold Coin Grass apparently depletes the body's potassium stores. Spiro raises potassium; does anyone know if this will be a problem? My sister is on Spiro (50 mg), and wishes to do a cleanse.

Closed Thread