It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Oily, Oily skin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
    steven2984us
    (male)

steven2984us HB User
    Oily, Oily skin

I have very oily skin. So much so that sometimes the oil makes my eyeglasses slip down my nose. I've been using Retin-a mirco for a while. Although it has made my acne mild/moderate it has me very dry The dryness inturn leads to the oilness. So my dilemma is that RAM doing an ok job on the acne by its making me produce mad oil from the dryness. so my question is, is it possible to get clear if you have acne and produce tons of oil? or is that impossible? is there any topical that can cut down on the oil production. i know about b5 and accutane. i'm interested to know about topical creams

Last edited by steven2984us; 03-14-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
    Spork
    (male)

Spork HB User
    Re: Oily, Oily skin

my skin has oil problems too.. I usally just go get a tissue or a paper town and wipe the oil off my face haha

Old 03-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
    Nicko12
    Inactive

Nicko12 HB User

I would take pantothentic acid one 500mg pill a day with a multivitamin from GNC store thats what I take and I will tell you im 100% clear just getting rid of 2 red marks from my last 2 pimples that I had a week ago, and im clear I am so happy try it for a few months and see if it works. I also steam my face and add tea tree oil and if I get dry skin I just use clean and clear oil free dual action musturizer. Then wash regularly wish Dove sensative soap unscented. I have seen great deal less oil on my face.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Nicko12 -

Hi! I posted the other day about my horrible situation with B5 (pantothenic acid). I was taking 4 grams a day (8 500mg capsules) for about 2 weeks. I think it was helping my skin, but it gave me horrible headaches and made my lips majorly dry!

Do you feel that taking just one 500mg pill a day is helping your skin? Are you experiencing any side effects like I mentioned?

The reason I ask is because I am not sure that I want to start back on the B5. After a crazy couple of weeks, my headaches have finally diminished and my lips are almost back to normal!

Unfortunately, if my skin gets worse over the next few days, I will know the reason why! Originally, I wasn't sure if the B5 was really helping b/c I am also on OTC Lo, but if I do start it again, I would definately use a smaller dose like you previously described.

Cheers for your success!

Old 03-15-2004, 02:58 AM   #5
    scouselad1974
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

scouselad1974 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LauraOSU05
    Nicko12 -

Hi! I posted the other day about my horrible situation with B5 (pantothenic acid). I was taking 4 grams a day (8 500mg capsules) for about 2 weeks. I think it was helping my skin, but it gave me horrible headaches and made my lips majorly dry!

Do you feel that taking just one 500mg pill a day is helping your skin? Are you experiencing any side effects like I mentioned?

The reason I ask is because I am not sure that I want to start back on the B5. After a crazy couple of weeks, my headaches have finally diminished and my lips are almost back to normal!

Unfortunately, if my skin gets worse over the next few days, I will know the reason why! Originally, I wasn't sure if the B5 was really helping b/c I am also on OTC Lo, but if I do start it again, I would definately use a smaller dose like you previously described.

Cheers for your success!
    Hi if i take 2 grammes daily i also suffer with headaches and flushing,if i take half that amount thats 2 500mg a day i am fine and it does help my skin,plus i have more energy

Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 AM   #6
    LauraOSU05
    (female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

Glad to hear that a smaller dose is working for you scouselad1974! I guess if my skin starts getting any worse over the next few days, I will just try a lower dose of the B5 to see what kind of effect it has!

The main cause of side effects in B5 is megadosing on it. A lot of people on this board say they take between 5 and 10 grams a day because your body only uses the amount of B5 that it needs! I was only taking 4 and my side effects were horrible!

Maybe it just depends on the person, but if a smaller dose is just as effective as a bigger one, why waste all the capsules and money? Just a thought!
    Good Luck

Old 03-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #7
    Nicko12
    Inactive

Nicko12 HB User

NO, I haven't had any headaches or anything will I get any? I have been taking my multi-vitamin for about 5 weeks, and the 1 pill of pantothentic acid for a month, and yes I do see a big difference my face does not get as oily as it use too. I sure hope I don't start to get headaches lol, I have not gotten any headaches in a good while. I think that if you take too much of something your going to get health problems. I would just take one pill like I do, daily. People on here are taking 20 pills I sure hope they don't think it is helping them, because I don't think it is. You urinate most of that out anyway, so 1 pill or 20 pills no difference or this is at least what I read too much of vitamins etc is a waste.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
    idealist1976
    Inactive

idealist1976 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steven2984us
    I have very oily skin. So much so that sometimes the oil makes my eyeglasses slip down my nose. I've been using Retin-a mirco for a while. Although it has made my acne mild/moderate it has me very dry The dryness inturn leads to the oilness. So my dilemma is that RAM doing an ok job on the acne by its making me produce mad oil from the dryness. so my question is, is it possible to get clear if you have acne and produce tons of oil? or is that impossible? is there any topical that can cut down on the oil production. i know about b5 and accutane. i'm interested to know about topical creams
    i used to have super oily skin too. within minutes of washing it would be oily again. it would also be very sticky to the touch. what worked for me: eliminating simple carbs, dairy, and sugars. many people on this board are controlling thie acne through diet. for me, it wasn't enough, i also am on birth control. but the difference i noticed about a week after the diet was my oily skin got LESS, MUCH LESS, oily. all these years, that's all i had to do. i couldn't believe. GIVE IT A TRY FOR A WEEK! just see what happens. it's not easy, you really have to avoid those foods completely. i've been on the diet for about 6 months now, and i "cheat" occasionaly and i notice when i do my skin gets oiler.

i've been posting updates on what i've been doing to control my acne. below is the link to my last post, and within there are links to my previous posts:
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=152898&highlight=ideali st[/url]

Closed Thread