It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board

  • need help: drinking while on accutane

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
    usedtobewantsittoend
    Member
    (male)
     
    usedtobewantsittoend's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 70
    usedtobewantsittoend HB User
    need help: drinking while on accutane

    i start accutane tomorrow for a 5 month period. just today my doctor told me that i shouldn't drink while on accutane because it mgiht strain my liver and could lead to liver damage.

    the thing is that he only said this because my mom asked him, and I don't think he would have said anything about alcohol unprovoked. i've read a few posts on this board of people drinking while on accutane, so i'm pretty confused. the booklet i had to read before getting a prescription didn't even mention alcohol with allt he toher wanrings about pregnancy, sun, vitramin A, etc.

    if i stick to the plan and don't drink, my life at college and at home during the summer will be miserable. i mean what am i going to do on weekends, watch tv in my room alone while everyone else parties?

    do you think it's ok for me to get drunk maybe once a week or so? and what would be less harmful on the liver, beer or hard liquor? please respond with your opinion or even better your own personal experience. thank you.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
    fallen_5555
    Member
     
    fallen_5555's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 86
    fallen_5555 HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    I got a little drunk during my third month into accutane, and I to this day regret it my lips became horribly cracked and bled and I had very very painful stomache aches. So my advice is dont drink, and if you do make sure you dont get drunk.

     
    Old 03-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
    usedtobewantsittoend
    Member
    (male)
     
    usedtobewantsittoend's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 70
    usedtobewantsittoend HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    thanks. anyone else?

     
    Old 03-22-2004, 12:24 PM   #4
    j54
    Member
    (female)
     
    j54's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 68
    j54 HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    I am on a low dose (30mg a day) and drink once a week or fortnight without any obvious complications. I never got told about it by my derm, didn't read anything in the information they give you, but then I understand the liver thing. I would *presume* that it would have to be fairly regular drinking or over a long period of time for it to cause damage to your liver. I'm no expert though.

     
    Old 03-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
    whoanelly
    Junior Member
     
    whoanelly's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 32
    whoanelly HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    I'm kind of surprised at you. I felt so grateful to be given Accutane. Not everyone can get it, you know. Maybe you shouldn't go on it.

    And I do mean that. If your liver konks out on you, you will be very sorry. A LOT of terrible things can happen on Accutane. You need to be v gentle with your body.

    I am puzzled why you're drinking so much. It's not healthy.

    You really need to think about your priorities. I know that sounds mean, but you need some help.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usedtobewantsittoend
    i start accutane tomorrow for a 5 month period. just today my doctor told me that i shouldn't drink while on accutane because it mgiht strain my liver and could lead to liver damage.

    the thing is that he only said this because my mom asked him, and I don't think he would have said anything about alcohol unprovoked. i've read a few posts on this board of people drinking while on accutane, so i'm pretty confused. the booklet i had to read before getting a prescription didn't even mention alcohol with allt he toher wanrings about pregnancy, sun, vitramin A, etc.

    if i stick to the plan and don't drink, my life at college and at home during the summer will be miserable. i mean what am i going to do on weekends, watch tv in my room alone while everyone else parties?

    do you think it's ok for me to get drunk maybe once a week or so? and what would be less harmful on the liver, beer or hard liquor? please respond with your opinion or even better your own personal experience. thank you.

     
    Old 03-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
    mman
    Senior Member
     
    mman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 105
    mman HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    Isn't there a warning right on the prescription to not drink while on accutane?? I thought there was on mine.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
    Karl2
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Karl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 179
    Karl2 HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    Please don't drink while on Accutane. The main problem at parties is that we all feel we need to be holding something in our hand, because this is what everyone else is invariably doing. Pretend to drink if you must. Make up a dummy drink like Red Bull and soda water; just tell people it's Red Bull and Vodka. Don't forget Accutane affects one's mood quite substantially, and so does alcohol, so be careful.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
     
    BostonGirl44's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 1,433
    BostonGirl44 HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    I only started Accutane on Saturday, but when I go out for the next few months, knowing that I'm on it, I'm going to limit myself to one drink. Having clear skin is much more important to me than getting buzzed with my friends.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
    usedtobewantsittoend
    Member
    (male)
     
    usedtobewantsittoend's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 70
    usedtobewantsittoend HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoanelly
    I'm kind of surprised at you. I felt so grateful to be given Accutane. Not everyone can get it, you know. Maybe you shouldn't go on it.

    And I do mean that. If your liver konks out on you, you will be very sorry. A LOT of terrible things can happen on Accutane. You need to be v gentle with your body.

    I am puzzled why you're drinking so much. It's not healthy.

    You really need to think about your priorities. I know that sounds mean, but you need some help.
    wow, you're really that puzzled? i go to college. nearly everyone at my college drinks about 3 times a week. it's what you do at college. i plan on taking accutane over drinking, but if i could have both that would definitely be better. obviously drinking isn't healthy, but it's fun.

    on another note, i have to wait 3 MORE WEEKS before I can start accutane because my damn doctor neglected to tell me that i can't drink at any point for over a week before my blood test. i've never been on accutane before and i haven't had a blood test for it b4, so how could I know? he called me to tell me that 2 liver tests came out high, and then asked me if i drank within a week before the test as if i'd done something wrong. the putz never said anything about drinking. so i'm pretty ******.
    but once i start i probabyl won't drink, which will be tough but in the long run i think it'll be worth it.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
    superman1
    Junior Member
     
    superman1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 31
    superman1 HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    Hard liquor: Vodka,Tequila,Everclear,Whiskey, hottdamn(yummy) is REALLY bad on your liver. Beer isn't too bad as long as your not getting trashed everyday.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    if someone drinks while on accutane, they are an idiot...and I'm tired of the system catering to idiots. I'm tired of people not taking care of themselves and then expecting the "government" and ultimately others (like me) to take care of them. If people were forced to take responsibility for their own health, there would be less of an incentive for people to be idiots...and people would be healthy. Anyway, that's beside the point. It is ridiculously stupid to drink while on accutane . So yea you might have "fun", and you might be "cool" but ultimately you'll just be a moron.

    Last edited by prometheus; 03-23-2004 at 07:38 PM.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #12
    whoanelly
    Junior Member
     
    whoanelly's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 32
    whoanelly HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    when I went to college, I drank, but it was never imperative. i could drink, or I didn't have to drink. it didnt matter. i think im just kind of surprised, because for me i would give up nearly anything for clear skin. and i have.

    ive given up sweets (and I lerv candy!!!) and all kinds of foods in search of a cure. nothing worked. ive worked out intensely. ive tried to live as purely as possibly, going to sleep at 8pm and things like that. nothing worked. so im kind of surprised that you would have a prob with giving up drinking, esp. since i see drinking as not all that important-- not as important as changing a diet, exercising, or other major lifestyle changes. thats all.

    one thing i am gathering from being on this board is that men have a way different take on accutane. women have to jump through hoops of fire to get it, because of pregnancy concerns. i waited three excruciating years. im not sure, but i think men are put on it sooner and more easily, so maybe they take it for granted. or maybe they just dont care as much as women do, since women are judged a lot more on their looks. who knows.

    but im sorry you have to give up something that means a lot to you. i can relate to you in that way.

    still, please dont drink while on accutane. it can make you very sick, sicker than you might be able to conceptualize since you are very young. maybe this is the time to think about other things. i know it sounds lame, but drinking isnt the most important thing. maybe you will be able to concentrate on studies more, or be able to get involved in an activity you never saw yourself doing.

    for me, i think drinking is dangerous, and ill tell you why: several family members of mine got cancer as soon as they upped their alcohol consumption. it can really ravage your health. maybe you dont have this suceptibility in your genes. still i dont think its so healthy. ever look at a person who drinks at 40 compared to a non-drinker at 40? there is a big difference. i mean, they wear it like a tatoo.

    anyway, try to take care of yourself. i know you dont believe me but its not the end of the world. maybe god wants other things for you. also, bear in mind if you drink while on accutane you might risk becoming too aggressive, since accutane is known to cause a blue mood. anyway, its only 5 months.

    good luck.






    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usedtobewantsittoend
    wow, you're really that puzzled? i go to college. nearly everyone at my college drinks about 3 times a week. it's what you do at college. i plan on taking accutane over drinking, but if i could have both that would definitely be better. obviously drinking isn't healthy, but it's fun.

    on another note, i have to wait 3 MORE WEEKS before I can start accutane because my damn doctor neglected to tell me that i can't drink at any point for over a week before my blood test. i've never been on accutane before and i haven't had a blood test for it b4, so how could I know? he called me to tell me that 2 liver tests came out high, and then asked me if i drank within a week before the test as if i'd done something wrong. the putz never said anything about drinking. so i'm pretty ******.
    but once i start i probabyl won't drink, which will be tough but in the long run i think it'll be worth it.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #13
    whoanelly
    Junior Member
     
    whoanelly's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 32
    whoanelly HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    I don't know if he's an idiot. He's just young. He wants to enjoy college. College is only there once. And it's not fair he should have an acne problem. For a lot of guys, too, they can't break out of their shyness. They think alcohol makes them funny, free, and fun to be with, esp. when everyone else is doing it. It also opens doors to girlfriends, which is important, too. I'm pretty sure this guy won't drink, especially since he is being given blood tests. He's just upset about not being able to and needed to vent.

    I can relate. I have felt limited from doing what I wanted to with my acne problem. It isn't fair.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    if someone drinks while on accutane, they are an idiot...and I'm tired of the system catering to idiots. I'm tired of people not taking care of themselves and then expecting the "government" and ultimately others (like me) to take care of them. If people were forced to take responsibility for their own health, there would be less of an incentive for people to be idiots...and people would be healthy. Anyway, that's beside the point. It is ridiculously stupid to drink while on accutane . So yea you might have "fun", and you might be "cool" but ultimately you'll just be a moron.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #14
    prometheus
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,034
    prometheus HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    young for most people=being an idiot. It's not, however, an excuse to be an idiot. Most people who are "young" now were old many years ago, and they were not idiots back then. Being an idiot is a choice. I'm not calling anyone an idiot, except people who choose to drink while taking accutane.

    And it is perfectly fair for him or anyone else to have an acne problem. You only have to understand how the world and nature and the body works to understand the fairness.

    Last edited by prometheus; 03-23-2004 at 07:52 PM.

     
    Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
    usedtobewantsittoend
    Member
    (male)
     
    usedtobewantsittoend's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Posts: 70
    usedtobewantsittoend HB User
    Re: need help: drinking while on accutane

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prometheus
    if someone drinks while on accutane, they are an idiot...and I'm tired of the system catering to idiots. I'm tired of people not taking care of themselves and then expecting the "government" and ultimately others (like me) to take care of them. If people were forced to take responsibility for their own health, there would be less of an incentive for people to be idiots...and people would be healthy. Anyway, that's beside the point. It is ridiculously stupid to drink while on accutane . So yea you might have "fun", and you might be "cool" but ultimately you'll just be a moron.
    the reason i originally asked is because some posters said they've drank while on accutane with no side effects. some posters' doctor's never mentioned drinking as hazardous. and there was no mention of alcohol in the booklet you are required to read and sign before taking accutane. i'm looking for other people's experiences. my doctor said it's okay to have an occasional drink, so obviously there are varying degrees to which drinking can effect one's liver. therefore, drinking while on accutane doesn't make you a moron; certain amounts of alcohol are not discouraged. i wanted to know what other people have done while they were on accutane. i don't think drinking makes me "cool" but it does in fact hinder my social life, and if that can be avoided at any level i'd want to know about it. nevertheless i appreciate your posts because they have been mostly informative on why one shouldn't drink while on accutane.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Nothin worked, not even accutane, now what?, seriously need help please Dammit Acne 20 08-16-2004 08:40 PM
    Started Accutane, need advice. JustBlaze Acne 15 03-24-2004 03:00 PM
    drinking on accutane sporadic Acne 3 02-16-2003 06:44 PM
    Need Support!! Husband is drinking. Molly M Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics 13 04-11-2002 09:45 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!