It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Topical Spiro/Male Spiro Usage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #16
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    Re: Topical Spiro/Male Spiro Usage

thats it grimey......this is a good plan to stick by.remember when your skin is clear you are at the greatest risk of being sterile for a life time.androgens cause acne.but its sucks because the thing that makes you male is screwing up your face.you might want to get a thermage done or smoothbeam treatments.spiro works great but for a male is is still last resorts even after accutane.this drug can be taking by guys but it has to be researched more because of the sterile factor.i think my derm is using real low doses with a topical to keep the skin from breakouts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #17
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Gimey,
    You do have an excellent plan. However, it takes several months (at least 3) to a few years before your skin might be clear with spiro. Granted, the dosage does matter as well. My suggestion is that if spiro is working so well, and you think that it's affecting you negatively try reducing the dosage by 25 mg and see if those symptoms disappear.

If you are not using a topical (of any sort) at the moment, then you may want to to help combat those white heads. In time spiro may eliminate those as well, but from personal experience spiro is very good at eliminating most cystic acne. I don't know how old you are, you may grow out of this, but if not, accutane won't solve your problems either. If this is truly an imbalance, you may be fortunate enough to go a few months - few years from the effects of accutane, but as we know, some people have gone up to 5 rounds and still have acne. My thoughts are that you may want to try Beta-sitosterol next. This is much more potent than the other herbal DHT Inhibitors, and won't provide most side effects, including decreased libido & the male breast growth (due to it lacking the strength of other phytoestrogens). It alters our cholesterol levels, thus lowering our overall ability to produce steroid hormones & inhibits DHT conversion so itís something you might want to think about. [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Search&DB=PubMed[/url]

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=14652381[/url]

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=12477490[/url]

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=12092634[/url]

Oh yeah, and as a female, spiro didn't enhance my breast size. I was taking 200mg for several years along with BC and no such benefit, not to mention, I still wasn't clear!!! These androgens know how to fight dirty ;-/ The average amount for a female is 50mg to help fight acne and hirsutism, but I guess if I hadn't changed my diet I would have had to taken a Transgender male's dosage. Males must take 200mg - 600mg of Spironolactone to get their testosterone levels low enough to have such an effect as breast growth, decreased hair, etc.

So from what I've read (this is such a complex topic), Estrogen and/or other anti-androgens, not DHT Inhibitors, will more likely have a stronger impact on producing temporary/reversible sterility. However if you continue over 2 - 3 years to take high enough doses of estrogen (beyond BC levels), the sterility and body changes may not be reversible. This is along the lines of how they are working on male birth control. Testosterone, Estrogen, and Progesterone applied in various combinations and doses are capable of making you temporarily sterile, but at the same time maintaining your libido and other physical characteristics. So one day....ya'll will be popping BC pills too =P

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Old 04-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #18
    member86
    (female)

member86 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grimey
    I'm on my 12th day using 100mg of spiro and I'm significantly clearing up everywhere except my chin & forehead. Im getting TONS (to many to count) of tiny whiteheads and tiny zits all over my forehead. I'm also getting the same types of pimples on my chin but to a lesser extent. I'll probably have to add a topical to help combat these breakouts.

Spiro has eliminated all those painful pimples on my neck and scalp. My back is also clearing up nicely. I really haven't had any new pimple anywhere in about 4 days except for the ones I mention on my forehead & chin.... My skin is no longer oily and feels soft and smooth. My hair feels almost like silk and isn't greasy anymore. I also no longer have dandruff.

As for side effects the only ones I notice so far is a decrease in sexual interest, thirst and a increase in passing urine. I plan to be on spiro for only 6 months, hopefully by then my face will be 100% clear, so I can have some type of laser scar treatment done. I'm not really worried about growing boobs as this is a long term (approx. 1 year) side effect and is also a reversible side effect. But if I notice any boob growth at all, I will quit spiro immediately and give accutane another shot.

Geoff
    Strange... I noticed that my dandruff went away with spiro too. Plus, a decrease in sexual interest as well. Good to hear it's helping you to some extent.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #19
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

i value my social life over my sexual life anytime.i had dandruff too that went away.and you dont perspire either that much.i still have no regets going on spiro.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #20
    BchGrl
    (female)

BchGrl HB User

I'm a FEMALE with cystic acne. I took Accutane twice which worked great but a few months later, I have them just as bad and getting more scars. I have a low sex drive though, as it is, and I don't want do have NO desire at all. Does it lower sex drive just as much for females as it does for males?
    Also, this could be a great drug to give to my cheating boyfriend!! Maybe it will lower his too high sex drive!

Old 04-13-2004, 11:57 AM   #21
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Beach Girl,
    LOL, well it may do the trick. However, what you guys are missing is that if you find it alters your sex drive, just take herbs that boost sex drive. That simple. I have been on Spiro and BC and one time, I took some homeopathic medicine for my acne and all of sudden it boosted my sex drive. I looked up the ingredients beforehand, and one of the ingredients jobs was to do this. It was soo funny becauses "normally" I don't think like that, LOL. There's various pathways, not all involve testosterone increase in order to feel that desire mentally and physically. So, you can always compensate with something else =P

Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 PM   #22
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

good idea sweet jade i might try that.i was just up in montreal and those woman were hott.french woman are cool!

Old 04-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #23
    grape_of
    (male)

grape_of HB User

Hey, SweetJade, i wondered if you had an idea about how to get to the core of the problem, i mean, how to get less sensitive to androgens? Is it something up to our genes only, or it relies on an internal problem. I think that by suppressing our androgens with drugs and diet, we kinda become more sensitive to them, it's a vicious circle..

Old 04-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #24
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

the core of the problem is androgens.... accutane or the smoothbeam laser will alter the sebasiuos glands ability to produce sebum.so will a thermage treatment.how long it will last....no ones knows.grape you continue to do nothing and have acne and the scars.its a free world.i think a combination of diet and drugs can do wonders for you skin.i then had severe acne and just to control it was making my life a living hell.i will take a chance with the drugs.im also eating a lot of fruits and veggies and drinking a lot of water.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:01 AM   #25
    grape_of
    (male)

grape_of HB User

i know that aa drugs and diet work, i actually use it. The problem is that once u start it, u can no more get off of it. 1-2 week ago i tried to quit my drug, and the effects were so bad. i guess when my androgens were very low, androgen receptors got more sensitive to them. That's why it would be great to find something that acts on these receptors. i know that is what spiro does, but those folks it can make you steril, and i've heard also it stops working after some time. For how long u've been taking it, joeh?

Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #26
    cocacola26

cocacola26 HB User

SweetJade, I'm fairly new to this site and you are one of a few people that seems to know quite a lot of information on all these things. My brain is on overload on all the different possibilities that I had no idea about. I wanted to ask you about Beta sitosterol and saw palmetto. You said beta was stronger then saw palmetto, but I read some where(I don't know where at this point) that you cant buy beta sitosterol by itself or something like that. Is that true? I'm female with acne and body hair where I shouldn't have. After reading about Spiro, I wanted to take that but I'm a stay at home mom and right now Saw Palmetto would be cheaper. So, I wanted to know if you think I should go with the beta or the palmetto for my problems. I've read a lot of people having success with Spiro but so far I have not read a lot about Saw Palmetto. That's what I'm looking for right now. Thanks in advance

Old 04-15-2004, 10:27 PM   #27
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

well grape its been 18 months and i see no indication that it is stop working.well if i am sterile then i will never breakout again because i wont be producing much testosterone.for most guys this should be a short term use drug anyways.i was just at the point i just couldnt handle the cysts anymore.i mean 27 years of struggling to control your acne just wore me down.i hope they do find something for you younger ones so you dont have to put up with this crap most of your life.accutane does work very good for some people it just didnt for me.so far spiro has been great for me.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #28
    Clark

Clark HB User

Can we get an update from Grimey and Euro with their spiro usage?

Old 04-23-2004, 11:40 PM   #29
    seamus
    Inactive

seamus HB User

anybody? anyone?

Old 04-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #30
    Grimey
    (male)

Grimey HB User

Well I'm on my 25th day taking spiro and it's been working better than anything I've ever used. I'm not 100% clear but this is the best my skin has looked in a LONG time. Right now, I have 5 SMALL zits on my face and 2 pimples on my back. I'm clear everywhere else and have remained that way for several days. I also haven't had any cysts since about the 5th day of using spiro.

I actually had a 6 day span without getting a single pimple anywhere. Prior to using spiro I couldn't go 6 hours without getting a new breakout, let alone 6 days! I'm also no longer experiencing any side effects at all. The minor side effects I was having earlier have subsided. I'll keep everyone posted.....

Geoff

Closed Thread