It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• It's Now or Never!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2004, 07:02 AM   #151
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User
    Re: It's Now or Never!

I buy my cleanser at my health food store..it's about 9 or 10$ I think...but it seems to last forever. There are alot of places online that carry it as well. As for glowing...another trick is to use jojoba oil lol. I really don't use this stuff to often, but I have friends who don't diet or anything and use this to give their skin more of a glow. The good news about this stuff is that not only can it give you a glow and is supposed to help keep wrinkles away...but for alot of people, it has cleared up their skin. Did it ever clear up mine? Unfortunatly, no. But, it did make my skin feel healthier while I was using it. Right now I hardly ever use it on my face, mostly I just use it on my hair. My face isn't dry, and my face isn't oily...so just no need for it. One bottle goes a long way, and its fairly cheap.

Anyhow, as for the carrots, Prometheus is right. Want to know something else about carrots? Everyone keeps saying to avoid them...but in every juicing recipe for healthy skin/clearing the skin/skin problems etc...the number one ingredient is usually carrots. I read a question and answer article in an online magazine once about a guy who was concerned about his skin taking on an orangish tint. He said that he had been juicing carrots everyday for the past year or two to keep his acne away and that his skin looked amazing, but it was beginning to take on a yellow/orangish tint, and was wondering if there was any way to make it go away. Anyhow, the "doctor" told him there was no acne/food connection, and to stop juicing so many carrots. But, the point of the story is that carrots are good for you .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 07:29 AM   #152
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User

Well, I was clear before the cleanses (I've been following acne diets for a year though...and refined them to Prometheus's diet 5 or 6 months ago)...but my healing time on things still wasn't great. During/after the cleanses was when I really started to see my past marks fade away, and other things improve in me. I wish I had begun these before the diet like Prometheus had suggested because I really think alot of the reason I wasn't healing so well is because I may have had some nutrient absorption problems or something. As for the salad, hmmm I'm not sure! lol That's just a recipe that I found off of a site awhile back and had saved it on my computer. I don't think it will produce stones...just intended to lightly clean out the liver. As for the facial flushings, I always thought that maybe they were due to some sort of inflammation type reaction. The last time I remember noticing them was around October of last year (which is when I began refining my diet more). I'm not too sure whether it may have been an allergic reaction, or something else. But, what I have also noticed is that I don't seem to get inflammation on any wounds etc. that I get. I used to have alot of redness on my face, even my arms looked like they had a red "flushed" type appearance to them, and when I had keratosis pilaris and I would pick at the spots on my arm, I would wake up the next day and in those places there would be a huge inflamed bump. As my diet got better alot of those things started getting better. I wish I could say what it was that made it go away for me, but I'm not 100% certain what it was. I used to remember even going outside in the sun would just make me appear with red splotchiness on my face..it's embarrassing to look back on alot of old photos of mine...I look like a tomato . I also used to think that maybe it was just a sensitivity to light, or citrus fruits, or weather or something that was causing it. But, I can be out in the sun, in bright lights, and eat citrus with no problems today...so that must not have been the case.

LOL, I doubt I would do very good with a book. It'd mostly be just a collection of other peoples recipes...I'm terrible at coming up with my own. But, everytime I see something that looks interesting I usually save it. I have a few recipes from Prometheus and SweetJade saved as well...I think their recipes are probably better to try than mine! lol As for the almond butter, I'll most likely attempt to make it in a few weeks...so if it comes out good, I'll let everyone know .

I think you both will recieve some kind of benefit from the cleanses. Prometheus and sweetjade both have done cleanses and both have reported great results. SweetJade even mentioned that the reason she can tolerate a wider range of things may be due to the cleanses she has done. I don't care to eat dairy or refined sugars whether I have the toleration for them or not...but I did hope to gain and correct things in me with the cleanses, and I really believe that they may have corrected some of my digestion/nutrient absorption problems....and I'm happy with that .

Oh..and Neca, you mentioned that maybe steroids/antibiotics may create a leaky gut and contribute to the skin problems and possibly facial flushing. I had inhalers for years due to my asthma (steroids), and was also on antibiotics for all kinds of things as a child (I had to take an antiobiotic for 6 or 7 months when i was younger due to a ring worm infection, plus all of the other antibiotics that doctors prescribe for EVERYTHING). The other reason I think that it could be antibiotics that could have caused it is because before starting the diet route..I had ended up with a urinary tract infection and was prescribed cipro (an antibiotic) for it. Omg, my facial flushing was the worst I've seen in years when I was taking that stuff. The doctors said it wasn't an allergic reaction to it (considering I had facial flushing before starting it), and to continue taking it. Not only did I look terrible while taking it, but I also had a big breakout afterwards. Say no to antibiotics .

Last edited by MsMeaganMay; 04-28-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 AM   #153
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Yes the body purposely retains calcium. The body does not retain magnesium but expects to get it freely from the diet. It is very difficult to have a calcium deficiency if you are eating a lot of vegetables. Magnesium, however, is required to retain calcium properly in the body and prevent it from being excreted. This is why calcium is the natural antagonist of magnesium. People with magnesium deficiencies are instructed not to eat dairy, or take calcium supplements. If you don't have enough magnesium the body is not going to properly use calcium. Your blood will have an initial good calcium reading after taking a supplement or drinking dairy, and then you will be deficient again, perhaps worse. It will either be excreted or build up somewhere like on the artery walls. This is why dairy does not prevent osteoporosis. It probably, in fact, contributes to osteoporosis. Without adequate magnesium, you will have a calcium deficiency. With too much calcium, calcium in improper ratios that our bodies do not know what to do with, such as that in cow milk, you will have a magnesium deficiency.

It is very easy to have a magnesium deficiency, because it is not retained. Your body expects to get it from the diet. To make matters worse, or better, depending on how you look at it, magnesium is necessary for all functions of your body. It is a good thing our bodies know what is most important to take care of and how to make sacrifices otherwise most people would die from the diets they are on. If you don't consume enough magnesium from your food, your body views it as, and is actually in a life or death emergency, everyday. No wonder people are depressed. Depression used to be considered the first sign of illness. Now it is an inherited biological imbalance. lol

Last edited by prometheus; 04-29-2004 at 05:27 AM.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:36 AM   #154
    indy gal

indy gal HB User

Hey Prometheus, good to see you posting! I am here eating my breakfast of apples, blueberries/raspberries and almond butter.

Thanks for that information about magnesium/calcium. That was a big concern of mine, getting enough calcium without dairy. I am eating almonds and broccoli, which I believe are good sources of calcium. Any other suggestions? Last night I bought a steamer so I can cook my veggies without loosing the nutrients in the water.

Prometheus, what do you usually eat on a daily basis? Which veggies/fruits? Just curious.

Face update: no new breakouts! In fact, every new pimple I've gotten since starting the cleanses the beginning of April can be attibuted to something I ate that I shouldn't have (except for one bump caused by the parasite cleanse, which is now starting to go away and never came to a whitehead). I loooove washing my face in the morning and not feeling any new breakouts! Yippee!

Old 04-29-2004, 05:49 AM   #155
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indy gal
    *blushes* I am so sorry! I guess there was never any indication one way or another. For the longest time I thought Prometheus was a guy, then one day she posted something that made me know I was wrong.
    don't worry about, it was quite funny! I know, it is sometimes impossible to tell who is male/female.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indy gal
    do carrots affect your skin?
    Indy, carrots are unbelieveable! Whenever I was desperate to really get my skin into shape I would buy about two 1.5 litre (60Oz I think?) bottles of pure organic carrot juice. I would drink both bottles in one day. By the next day, my skin would be glowing and looking great! I can't do this anymore because no supermarkets where I live now are selling pure organic carrot juice and carrying home 50 raw carrots just weighs too much.

Do you know the nutrional make-up of carrots, they are full of EVERYTHING:

1 cup serving provides:

- 850% of recommended daily intake for Vitamin A (yes 850% i.e. alot lol!)
    - 280% of the RDI for Vitamin K
    - 20% of the RDI for biotin
    - over 15% of the RDI for fiber
    - 15% of the RDI for Vitamin C and Vitamin B6
    - Over 10% of the RDI for Potassium and Vitamin B1
    - Over 5% of the RDI for Phosporous and Vitamin B3, Magnesium & Vitamin B5
    - 5% of the RDI for Iron

There are several other nutrients too but you get the idea It's probably the best food for treating the skin. They are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds, and the richest vegetable source of the pro-vitamin A carotenes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsMeaganMay
    I read a question and answer article in an online magazine once about a guy who was concerned about his skin taking on an orangish tint. He said that he had been juicing carrots everyday for the past year or two to keep his acne away and that his skin looked amazing, but it was beginning to take on a yellow/orangish tint, and was wondering if there was any way to make it go away. Anyhow, the "doctor" told him there was no acne/food connection, and to stop juicing so many carrots. But, the point of the story is that carrots are good for you
    Ok that guy is pretty crazy, overdosing on anything is dangerous. Excessive consumption of carotene-rich foods may lead to a condition called caratoderma in which the skin develops a yellow or orange cast. This yellowing of the skin is related to carotenemia, excessive levels of carotene in the blood. Eating or juicing high amounts of foods rich in carotene, like carrots, may over tax the body’s ability to convert these foods to vitamin A. The body slowly converts carotene to vitamin A, and extra carotene is stored, usually in the palms, soles or behind the ears. If the cause of the carotenemia is eating excessively high amounts of foods like carrots, the condition will usually disappear after reducing consumption.

So moral of the story is, as MsMeagan says, carrots are good for you but not too many!

Quote:
    Well, I was clear before the cleanses (I've been following acne diets for a year though...and refined them to Prometheus's diet 5 or 6 months ago)...but my healing time on things still wasn't great. During/after the cleanses was when I really started to see my past marks fade away, and other things improve in me.
    Now this really interests me MsMeagan. Your skin has reacted positively since your dietary change and it seems like this was the key factor in resolving any acne problems. The cleansing has just speeded up your skin's process of healing as you say. What I am finding it difficult to understand is why I continue to experience all these skin problems even though I have maintained a diet very similar to yours or Prometheus'? Moreover, I have followed it for at least 4-5 years. I guess either it's in my genetic make-up causing my hormones to be naturally out of balance or my digestive system is full of MP and parasites that leach off all the goodness from the foods I consume. All in all, I am pretty confused and wish my diet would resolve the problems. I guess I can start by doing some hormone tests.

Quote:
    I had inhalers for years due to my asthma (steroids), and was also on antibiotics for all kinds of things as a child (I had to take an antiobiotic for 6 or 7 months when i was younger due to a ring worm infection, plus all of the other antibiotics that doctors prescribe for EVERYTHING).
    Yes I agree, antibiotics do play a heafty part in destroying our insides but I have been off antibiotics for some time now. I think the last time I used antibiotics was about 10 months ago and that was only a 10-day course. However I have used loads over the past 3 years so maybe my insides need ALOT of rebuilding time? My facial flushing really became a problem when my acne started making me self-conscious. It's so annoying because it's an organic reaction that I cannot prevent. Sometimes when I feel people are staring at my skin makes me nervous/embarassed then I feel my heart beat increase rapidly thus causing the blemishes to rush through my face. I think the only way to resolve this problem is to be comfortable with one's own body. Just when I thought acne was hard to cure...lol! But thanks MsMeagan for all your advice regarding this, I really do appreciate it and am glad I can learn from your experiences aswell.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #156
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Ok now onto the really interesting stuff. I have been looking up and researching organic/natural skin products. In California, for a product to be labelled 'Organic', it has to have been made up of 70% organic produce. I think this is kinda ridiculous. How can you call a product Organic if it isn't entirely 100% Organic. It doesn't make sense! The remaining 30% could contain chemicals or other weird substances.

Well anyway, here is a list of substances to what out for. If you find any of the following substances in your skin, hair, teeth products that I would reconsider buying it (taken from Aubrey Organics):

1. imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea — These are the most commonly used preservatives after the parabens. They are well established as a primary cause of contact dermatitis (American Academy of Dermatology). Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals have a good antifungal, and must be combined with other preservatives. Germall 115 releases formaldehyde at just over 10°. These chemicals are toxic.

2. Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals. Highly toxic.

3. Petrolatum — I see this on lip products from time to time, which is humorous to me because they're usually advertised as protecting the lips from sunburn, chapping and so forth. Petrolatum is mineral oil jelly, and mineral oil causes a lot of problems when used on the skin photosensitivity (i.e., promotes sun damage), and it tends to interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dry skin and chapping. You are being sold a product that creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

4. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. Has been known to cause allergic and toxic reactions.

5. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, wavesets and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since particles may contribute to foreign bodies in the lungs of sensitive persons.

6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate — This synthetic substance is used in shampoos for its detergent and foam-building abilities. It causes eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions. It is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the parenthetic explanation "comes from coconut."

7. Stearalkonium Chloride — A chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. Causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health. Toxic.

8. Synthetic Colors — The synthetic colors used to supposedly make a cosmetic "pretty" should be avoided at all costs, along with hair dyes. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Synthetic colors are believed to be cancer-causing agents. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.

9. Synthetic Fragrances — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply say "Fragrance." Some of the problems caused by these chemicals are headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation by a cosmetic that has the word "Fragrance" on the ingredients label.

10. Triethanolamine — Often used in cosmetics to adjust the pH, and used with many fatty acids to convert acid to salt (stearate), which then becomes the base for a cleanser. TEA causes allergic reactions including eye problems, dryness of hair and skin, and could be toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

Now, MsMeagan, I looked up Jason's line of products and the range does seem impressive. There are loads available but this is what I have found: The ingredients for Jason Natural Cosmetics Super-C Cleanser, Gentle Facial Wash is the following (taken from Drugstore page):

Aqua (purified soft water), Decyl Glucoside, Laminaria Saccharina (seaweed extract), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Ulmus Fulva (slippery elm extract), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Hamamelis Virginiana (witch hazel distillate), Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E), Yucca Vera Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (orange extract), Ester C Liquid, Calcium Ascorbate, Sodium Ascorbate, Magnesium Ascorbate, Zinc Ascorbate, L-Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Quillaja Saponaria (soap bark extract), Xanthan Gum, Lupaline, Vitis Vinifera (grapeseed extract), Aloe Barbadensis Gel (certified organic), Symphytum Officinale (comfrey extract, certified organic), Anthemis Nobilis (chamomile extract, certified organic), Zingiber Officinale (ginger extract, certified organic), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Natural Color, Natural Fragrance

Now if you compare the ingredients of this cleanser with the '10-substance list' above you will find that it contains two of these dangerous substances.
    The cleanser contains both Methylparaben and Propylparaben which come under point 2 of the above list! They are supposedly highly toxic! I also checked out Jason's website and it says that most of their products are taken from around '70% organic certified' produce. Sooo we can now see why it's only 70%, the other 30% contains a certain number of unwanted chemicals.

Don't get me wrong, the Jason's cleanser and other products on the range are BY FAR a million times better than your standard product such as Clearasil with regards to the number of chemicals they add. But it really annoys me how a company can say they are 100% Alll natural and then go and add these hidden chemicals. It also makes you think how many of these chemicals really do go into making the usual supermarket products.

The point is with the word 'natural' (N.B. Natural Color and Natural Fragrance in the Jason's cleanser ingredients). We all think when we see the word 'natural' on a product is much better than the word 'artificial' BUT the similarities between these two categories of colour/flavour/fragrance are far more significant than their differences

This is why: both are man-made additives that give most products their look/smell. Natural colours/fragrances and aritifical colours/fragrances sometimes contain exactly the same chemicals, produced through different methods. Amy acetate, for example, provides the dominant note of banana flavour. When you distill it from bananas with a solvent, amy acetate is a natural flavour. When you produce it by mixing vinegar with amyl alcohol, adding sulfuric acid as a catalyst, amyl acetate is an 'aritifical flavour'. Either way it smells the same. A natural flavour is therefore not necessarily healthier or purer than an artificial one.

When almond flavour (benzaldehyde) is derived from natural sources, such as peach and apricot pits, it contains traces of HYDROGEN CYANIDE, a deadly poison. Benzaldehyde derived through a different process, by mixing oils of clove and the banana flavour, amyl acetate, does not contain any cyanide. Nevertheless, it is legally considered an artificial flavour and sells at a much lower price. Natural and artificial flavours/colours are manufactured at the same chemical plants, places that few people would associate with Mother Nature. Calling any of these flavours/colours 'natural' requires a flexible attitude toward the English language and an amount of irony! So this is why Jason's products can only be called 70% organic.

So I did some more searching and found an 0nline shop called Aubrey Organics. They say they are 80% Certified Organic which is an improvement. I have checked their product range and it does seem amazing! I was wondering whether anybody has heared of tried their products? The ingredients of the products looks great. Take for example their cleanser for Normal-Oily skin. The cleanser is called Blue Green Algae with Grape Seed Extract Facial Cleansing Lotion and contains the following ingredients:

Ingredients: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Castile Liquid Soap, Organic Aloe Vera*, Deionized Water, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Evening Primrose Oil, Milk Thistle Extract, Blue Green Algae, Canadian Willowherb Extract, Organic Jojoba Oil*, Lavender Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Blue Camomile Oil, Grape Seed Extract.
    *Organically grown and processed in accordance with the California Organic Foods Act of 1990.

Sounds great so far as 'natural produce' can be concerned. I think I'm going to buy a huge range of their products as this brand is the 'best' I can possibly find that is currently available. They also claim they don't have a warehouse and all their products ARE HAND-MADE! That's great.

Well I think this post is long enough but please let me know what you think guys regarding this. I hope everything I have written is not too confusing..take care

Old 04-29-2004, 07:06 AM   #157
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User

Yes..carrots in excess cause you to turn orange....just like too much coll. silver can make you turn a greyish color. So yes, moderation is good unless you just feel the urge to take on a different color, which would be pretty interesting , but anyhow... Neca, I'm sure jasons line isn't perfect..I know I haven't perfected my supply of body care and house care items as of yet...but one day I shall! Good job for doing your research! I think the reason it did help to calm the irritation on my face was because it does not contain SLS...which shouldn't be in anybodys washing products! As for Aubrey organics, I have never used their stuff, but only because my health food store still doesn't carry it! I do remember awhile back though seeing a post in a thread on the hair forum that I had replied to, that also included a post from Prometheus commenting on some hair products from Aubrey organics that were really good. So I'm sure she knows alot more about this product than I do I really think you should go and have some blood tests done Neca...they might help you out alot. Before starting diet, I had blood tests run for thyroid and everything else. My thyroid was normal, my hormones were a bit off, and my liver function was high. Once I started diet changes, it started clearing up with both of those. Even after I was having no problems as far as hormones or anything else...I still had acne, and I still had a slightly high liver function (and I was maintaining a pretty good diet). Once I started refining my diet to Prometheus's....after about 3 months is when I really started to see improvement. As I learned more, and time went on....things just started getting better at an even faster rate. What may have slowed me down a little in the beginning is that I had gotten a flu shot when starting diet, and I won't go on and on about how I don't care for vaccinations...but please, read up on what they contain. Anyhow, that along with a small course of antibiotics may have slowed down my healing rate a bit...but months later, my healing overall has speeded up. I've had many kinds of marks leftover on my entire body that range from slightly red to raised keloids...and they are all fading, and all are almost gone . It really makes you feel good when a keloid starts to disappear, especially because so many people never get rid of these.

Well, I'm not sure if that made too much sense, as it is 6 in the morning here, and I couldn't fall asleep until 3 last night lol. A summary of my points that I was trying to make though would be that 1. go get a blood test 2. Even after my hormones were "balanced", I still had some acne..not as bad, but some. So I do believe that even if your hormones are balanced, you still need a good diet....diet will balance your hormones, but it will also heal and correct all of the other causes for your acne. 3. I don't care for vaccinations. If you believe that you truly must get them, atleast read information regarding them....and yes, they can affect your acne...atleast I believe so. 4. If you give your body what it needs, it can and will heal your scars as well.

LOL Prometheus...I think everything these days is considered to be "inherited". Our genes are getting blamed for everything .

Ok, enough talking for me...I better go and take a quick nap before I get started on my very busy schedule today .

Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #158
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Hope your day went well, Meagan. Yes, the gene thing is tiring.

Quote:
    Yes..carrots in excess cause you to turn orange....just like too much coll. silver can make you turn a greyish color. So yes, moderation is good unless you just feel the urge to take on a different color, which would be pretty interesting
    Completely. Totally interesting. It would be neat to be grey. Though I'd really like to be green..like bright green. That'd be so neat.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 PM   #159
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Indy,

I am glad to hear that your cleanses are going well. I love reading your, Neca's, and Meagans posts.

Quote:
    Hey Prometheus, good to see you posting! I am here eating my breakfast of apples, blueberries/raspberries and almond butter.
    sounds really good! A health dose of antioxidants with those berries too.

Quote:
    Thanks for that information about magnesium/calcium. That was a big concern of mine, getting enough calcium without dairy. I am eating almonds and broccoli, which I believe are good sources of calcium. Any other suggestions?
    Yea don't worry about calcium at all, actually. If you eat enough vegetables you don't have to worry about it. Protein is another thing you don't have to worry about.

Quote:
    Last night I bought a steamer so I can cook my veggies without loosing the nutrients in the water.
    Nice!! A steamer is really all you need too!

Quote:
    Prometheus, what do you usually eat on a daily basis? Which veggies/fruits? Just curious.
    I make sure to eat from the four food groups every day: Vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. hehehe. Right now I've been eating a lot of sprouts. You probably want to eat a lot of the leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, and things with bright colors.

Last edited by prometheus; 04-30-2004 at 09:30 PM.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:10 PM   #160
    MsMeaganMay

MsMeaganMay HB User

Prometheus, it's good to know that someone enjoys hearing me talk! I don't seem to hold people's attention for very long, as most people don't care to hear the things I have to say...I think it's because it's usually health related lol. I can't help it if they ask and I give my opinion though. I actually have a funny story to share with you...or atleast I found it humorous (I think someone would actually have to be there to understand lol). I was at my health food store today, and I was loading up on my 4 food groups as usual. Anyhow, the employees all know my name and the usual things I look for...but they really don't know too much about me personally. I approached the counter and one of the ladies working looked at me and said I always see you load up on fruits, vegetables, and nuts...are you on some kind of fruit and nut diet or something? So I began on my story of previous symptoms and problems I had and how I have fixed them through diet and so on...and all of the employees near the counter turned to me and said "what is the name of this diet?", "is there a book for it", "can I find recipes and more information about it over the web?". I laughed so hard, and in an attempt to come up with a name for it I told them it was the Prometheus diet (that's what it seems to be known as on the boards anyhow!), and it was fairly simple..no need for a book to explain it all. But, I think they lost interest when I told them there wasn't a book and there were no fastfood options that were "allowed"...not even the "low cal/low carb" ones (they were very disappointed with that remark!) lol.

Indy, I've read some of your other posts and you seem to be going well with diet, congrats . If your still having problems with increasing calories, you could always add some extra calories and fiber as well into your day by grinding nuts/seeds with a coffee grinder and adding them to things such as smoothies and other meals and things. Just a tip I found on another site, and I thought you might be interested!

Neca, how are things for you? As much as you don't want to...you may want to give liver flushing a try. Your going in the right direction with diet and everything, so don't give it up...you just might have to work a little harder than others, but it will be worth it . I am still borderline on my decision to try one, but I may end up going for it soon, as I am trying to get my mother to do one as well...but there is no way she would attempt it if I had not attempted it first.

Take care!

Old 05-01-2004, 06:13 AM   #161
    indy gal

indy gal HB User

Hello! I have now been doing the Paragone for a week and 1 day and nothing scary to report. Yeah! Any parasites coming out of me are too small to see at a glance, which is a relief.

My skin is the same. Yesterday one small pimple, but like I said before, I think the toxins that are being released (thanks to the paragone) might be the cause of it. I popped it (gasp, shame on me!), and today it is practically healed. I will definitely focus on my liver after completing this. Poor thing really needs some TLC.

Yesterday I bought Jasons Super C cleanser, jojoba oil and some kombu. Careful with how much you're influencing me there, Meagan. I used the cleanser last night and loved the feel of it too. I can't remember, but do you use any other products, or just the cleanser and the oil?

Right now, a typical day during the cleanse I am eating: Fruit and almond butter for breakfast, fish and veggies at lunch, and chicken and veggies at dinner, while snacking on nuts and seeds during the day. I feel like I need some sort of protein (fish/chicken) at lunch and dinner, so I am solely eating fish and chicken during the paragone. Afterwards I will incorporate some organic beef back in once a week maybe. I gonna start eating more carrots after reading about all the good things they have.

Lol with your story Meagan. Prometheus' diet? Ha,ha! They're probably thinking this is some diet guru you're talking about. You know, I was in a state of denial for soooo long about diet, but now that I am doing it, it all makes sense. Of course dermatologists aren't going to promote diet. They can't make money off of that. My derm basically told me "you know where to find me if you need me".... cuz she knows that if I am following a good diet I won't have to come back. Now, I am not made of steel and I will probably need one cheat day a month, where I can have some of the forbidden foods. Do either of you ever do that? Prometheus, do you ever have a piece of cheesecake or some icecream, suffer the consequences, then keep on with the diet? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I just wonder if I am the only weakling amongst the diet-followers.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #162
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Meagan,

Yes I love reading your posts and posts of other people interested in the same thing. I learn a lot.

Quote:
    I laughed so hard, and in an attempt to come up with a name for it I told them it was the Prometheus diet (that's what it seems to be known as on the boards anyhow!)
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. It sounds all official!! hahahahahaha.

Quote:
    But, I think they lost interest when I told them there wasn't a book and there were no fastfood options that were "allowed"...not even the "low cal/low carb" ones (they were very disappointed with that remark!) lol.
    Of course!

Indy,

Quote:
    Now, I am not made of steel and I will probably need one cheat day a month, where I can have some of the forbidden foods. Do either of you ever do that? Prometheus, do you ever have a piece of cheesecake or some icecream, suffer the consequences, then keep on with the diet? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I just wonder if I am the only weakling amongst the diet-followers.
    Well, it isn't about being "weak" or "giving in". It is about doing what you want and achieving what you want. It helps to remember the reason you are following the diet and instead of calling it a diet call it a new way of eating. The foods that contribute to and cause acne are not at all forbidden. You can have them if you want them. You just won't see any results or they will be impaired. It isn't really about being "weak" and "giving in". You know? It has absolutely nothing to do with will power because your will naturally follows your desire. If you want the cheesecake, eat the cheesecake, but if you find yourself eating the cheesecake often (once a month) then maybe you should rethink your decision to be on a diet. The other thing that helps is once you start eating a different way, after a while your body begins to crave those foods instead. I've found that the body craves what it is used to eating. If you keep eating the old foods in the beginings of your new way of eating, then you never give your body a chance to get used to the new foods. I used to really like icecream. Now I could care less. A couple months ago I had some chocolate mousse at a family dinner. It wasn't that great.

Old 05-01-2004, 06:45 PM   #163
    wizzii

wizzii HB User

dude .....lol......some of these medications and stuff really do work and cure acne......ur proof is all around this board.....hehe...BYE!!!...good on ya though

Old 05-02-2004, 07:02 AM   #164
    indy gal

indy gal HB User

Quote:
    Well, it isn't about being "weak" or "giving in". It is about doing what you want and achieving what you want. It helps to remember the reason you are following the diet and instead of calling it a diet call it a new way of eating. The foods that contribute to and cause acne are not at all forbidden. You can have them if you want them. You just won't see any results or they will be impaired.
    I know. *sigh* I have the metabolism that would allow me to eat whatever I want, but my skin just won't let me. Yes, it is a new way of eating for me too. I don't plan on going back to my old ways, although I hope that over time I can introduce some things I am avoiding now without any problems. I suppose I should save the splurges for times when I am at other people's houses when the food available to eat is not under my control.

Last night I had a salad with spinach, shredded carrot, avocado, squeezed lime and olive oil.... yum. I am really starting to like the taste of lime in my salads.

Last night I also used the jojoba oil, and this morning my face feels so smooth, not dry or oily. I am so happy with my results, and I know that they will just keep getting better as long as I eat healthy.

A few other improvements I have noticed since following the paleolithic/prometheus' diet:
    my scalp psoriasis is healing
    the cellulite I had on my thighs is going away
    my hair feels fuller, healthier, shinier
    Overall I just feel great!

I want to post all this feedback for any other people lurking on this thread who might be interested. It has been 2 months since I've followed the "healthy eating lifestyle", started doing some of the cleanses. My results started showing before the cleanses, but are getting better as time goes by. I did have improvement using a topical (differin) while doing all this, but even using the topical, every breakout I have had has been a result of something I ate that I shouldn't have.

By the way, Neca, how are you doing?

Old 05-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #165
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

yes..i would say the biggest thing we need to avoid is dairy, so if you have a choice between splurging on something with sugar or a refined grain vs something with dairy in it i would go with the sugar or refined grain. I would avoid wheat but maybe you can introduce wheat substitutes that still have gluten like spelt, or just find gluten free substitutes.

Closed Thread