It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne and SPICY foods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User
    Acne and SPICY foods

What is the concensus on the correlation between eating spicy foods and acne? I've been eating a ton of hot foods lately, mainly with chili powder and my skin is looking a little better. Coincidence?

Last edited by aquarius0121; 03-30-2004 at 06:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
    euro18

euro18 HB User
    Re: Acne and SPICY foods

I have found the opposite - my body cannot tolerate spicy foods or citrus fruits. If I eat these two "food groups" I will break out and my face will be really red.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
    Za'Roc

Za'Roc HB User

I hope wat you said is true because i eat a lot of food with Crushed red pepper.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Well there is alot of research that suggests hot foods have several health benefits and have been treated in circulatory problems.

Capsaicin is a compound that is found in seeds of chilli peppers. Research says that this compound can fights chronic diseases. Capsaicin acts as an antioxidant. Just like vitamins A, C and E, it disarms cell-damaging molecules called free radicals believed to promote heart disease and other life-shortening ailments. And one jalapeno has more vitamin C than three oranges; it's also a good source of vitamins A and E.

The compound can also combat cancer, prevent blood clots (blood clots are rare in Thailand, where people eat chili peppers daily), kills pain (reduces headaches) and can speed up metabolism. A British study found hot peppers boost the metabolic rate, which burns extra calories. And losing excess pounds is as good for your health as it is for your vanity, since it reduces the risk of adult onset diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and certain cancers.

Maybe chillis can indirectly benefit the body with regards to acne but by no means think it can cure it. However, also remember that when we talk about hot foods in the Western world, we refer to ready made/take away foods. These foods contain copious amounts of preservatives, colourings, natural/artifical flavourings, millions of E-numbers and other poisons. So basically it is these harmful ingredients that CAN cause skin problems. If you make a curry at home with all natural produce then I guarantee you will see your skin react to a lesser extent (or not at all).

Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Thanks Neca,

I notice that my body feels better overall after I eat something spicy. My sinuses clear out, and I feel more alert. Good to know that there are lots of health bennefits to eating hot foods!

Closed Thread