It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• compulsive skin picking (CSP)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User
    compulsive skin picking (CSP)

I was wondering if anyone else on this board is a compulsive skin picker. I have OCD and CSP is a component of OCD. I pick at the smallest spots...things that people can't see unless they come super close to my face. Right now I have a huge red mark in the middle of my forehead. It's horrible. I'm in college and I didn't go to class today and i'm not going tomorrow either. I just thought I was weird until I did some reseach on this. Lots of people have this disorder...there are even support boards for it. My skin would be so much better if I didn't mess around with it...it's so sad. I've missed out on so many social functions because I'm too embarassed about my scabbed face. Anyone else have this? or think they do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User
    Re: compulsive skin picking (CSP)

I have that too I guess. I can't leave my skin alone. I touch it ALL day. If there's a spot or patch of dry skin my hands are ALL OVER IT. I know that it's not helping my condition, but it's addicting!

Old 04-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #3
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

I used to be like this. I never got professional help but I did cure myself I guess you would say. I tried not picking or touching my face at all for a while and noticed how much better it looked!! The first part of it is recognizing when you are picking and how you feel right then. I usually was real stressed out or nervous like during an exam or something. So after I was able to be aware of when I was doing it, I forced myself to stop everytime I caught myself touching or picking. Try doing things like dimming or turning off the lights when you are in the bathroom. Brush your teeth away from the mirror so you don't look at spots or blemishes. I also put up little sticky notes on my bathroom mirror or on my desk that say "do not touch!!". No one really knows what that means but me. I don't think I had OCD but I do have anxiety problems so that might be similar. You CAN get over it if I did!! I picked every section of my face and luckily I don't have any scars but it was bad. Cut your fingernails real short, wear gloves, or do whatever it takes but be aware of when you are picking and make yourself stop and do something else right away to take your mind away from it! Good luck!

Old 04-07-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
    karen430
    (female)

karen430 HB User

This is interesting to me because I never actually realized this was a condition. My boyfriend does this! He picks and picks and picks at his face until he bleeds (which looks worse that whatever was there to begin with) but he can't help himself. I guess I should be nicer now because before I was constantly telling him that it was embarrassing for him to always be picking at himself until he bled. I'm really glad I take the time to read these boards because I learn something new everyday! Good luck to you in curing this.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

Karen430- I'm glad I was able to inform you about this. I'm sure a lot of people don't realize that this is a medical condition. There is lots of information about it on the web...you can find it if you type in Compulsive Skin Picking in the search engine. I dorm with a friend that is very understanding and that makes things a lot easier for me. Supporting your bf is the best thing you can do. I think I have it pretty bad. My grandma is in the hospital dying and I won't go home because I don't want to show my face. I'm sure many of you on here are thinking "Oh my god...she is so selfish" but I would rather do anything than go home and show my face like this. I've come to be a pretty good liar. I make up excuses all the time as to why i can't do things. Nobody has caught on yet...except my roommate of course because she knows all about my condition. For those of you that do pick...there is a compulsive skin picking support board that I highly recommend. If you type in face and skin picking support I'm pretty sure you'd be able to find it. Hope everyone has a great day...and try to keep your hands off!

Old 04-07-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
    ShadyLady482

ShadyLady482 HB User

I haven't posted on this board for a loooong time (even though I've been reading), but this topic is one that hits very close to home. I definitely have this problem, and I can relate to everything you're going through. If I could keep my hands off my skin, it would look nearly flawless.. the kiss of death is when i lean in too close to the mirror, and then I start looking at pores and teeny tiny things no one else would ever ever notice... I end up taking invisible things and making them into these horrible red marks that everyone can see. I've been struggling with this for years and years, but it was never really bad until the past couple of years. I've tried countless times to stop, but it's so hard. I used to only pick before bed, but somehow I switched to the morning, which has made me late for work or classes almost every day lately (I'm in college). Last winter I bought a workbook that was called 'The Habit Change Workbook,' and one of the things the book was supposed to help with was CSP. It actually did do me some good, but I sort of fell behind in using it lately. It's always reassuring to hear that other people are going through the same thing and can understand, even though I feel awful that anyone has to go through it at all. Hopefully you can find a kind of support group through this board!

Last edited by ShadyLady482; 04-07-2004 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-11-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
    DameC

DameC HB User

yep... i'm getting meds on monday for it

Old 04-11-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
    Sprokets

Sprokets HB User

I used to be this way too, Id lean so close to the mirror and be so angry i could see a red mark through my make up, Or I could feel a bump under the skin and Id keep playing with it until i managed to pop it causing a scab!
    How did I stop? I still do it to an extent, I have managed to stop doing it as bad by washing my face instead, If I see a red mark, Il leave it alone and wash my make up off and begin again, It seems to keep me satified for a while anyway. Its a bit like any habit (smoking for example) find something else do do with your hands, I twiddle my hair lots a work this seems to take the focus away from my face.
    Best of luck
    x

Old 05-02-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
    carlsocl
    (female)

carlsocl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DameC
    yep... i'm getting meds on monday for it
    What medication is available for this compulsion? I've been a skin picker for years without any luck breaking the habbit.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
    Hamer

Hamer HB User

I currently have about 5 scabs on my face from doing this.. I really hate it! I know it will look worse if I touch it but I just have to! I really need to try to stop.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:13 AM   #11
    ace_chick01

ace_chick01 HB User

Yeah I'd say I have that too. My skin is really dry at the moment, and I can't keep my hands from picking at the really scaly bits.

It sucks too, because picking leads to cysts, which leads to scarring. I have severe acne now but it is almost clear, but I know I will have scarring. I think that if I didn't pick as much, I mightv'e been safe from the scars.

So stop picking as early as possible, because it will look bad in the future!

Closed Thread