It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• how to get new derm to prescribe accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
    Beams222

Beams222 HB User
    how to get new derm to prescribe accutane

Hello all! I have just moved to a new town and I am going to my new derm tomorrow. I actually haven't been to a dermatologist in about a year, but my acne is getting from bad to worse, so I feel like I can't wait any longer. Anyway, I have tried everything prescribed and from the drug store to no avail. My last resort is to go on accutane, but I am afraid that my new dermatologist won't want to prescribe me such a stong medicine. I have mild to moderate acne, but it is very persistent and I have horrible hyperpigmentation as a result. Getting my former dermatologists to send medical records is not an option since I have moved around so much and have even been to dermatologists when I lived overseas. I don't know how I would track them all down! Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User
    Re: how to get new derm to prescribe accutane

Ask your dermatologist for accutane, and if they seem unwilling for absolutely no reason, walk right out of there and find someone else. Some of these dermatologists are ridiculous, and want you to suffer for a really long time before they break down and give it to you. What you CAN do that may work is claim you've been going to a dermatologist for a few years (which you HAVE been), and that nothing they've prescribed to you has worked. Say you feel that you need accutane, you know the risks, and are looking for a dermatologist who is willing to accomodate your needs.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
    aquarius0121
    Veteran
    (female)

aquarius0121 HB User

By the way, if this dermatologist doesn't work out, call around to a few dermatologist offices and find out which one is most likely to give you accutane. When you speak to the receptionist, specify that you've seen someone already who was too conservative and cautious, and that you're looking for a dermatologist that is more understanding.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I agree with Aquarius. I never had a face full of acne, but I have persistent cysts in the cheek area that are usually 1/2 to 3/4 inches in diameter and last for months unless I get cortisone injections. I've been on Accutane for almost a month and already I can see such a difference. I have one massive cyst still next to my nose but when I go to get my second month of Accutane, I'm going to have that sucker injected. Anyway, because my face never seemed to look that bad to the dermatologists I went to in the past, they all were reluctant to prescribe Accutane to me. But I wanted to take it because I knew that it would be the only thing to finally end my cyst problems. By that point, in a 1 year span, I had 13 cortisone injections done, and although they work wonders, there's only so much a person can take with needles in the face. I guess my point is that we know our faces so much better than any dermatologist does and if acne doesn't respond to countless medications that are given, and what you want is accutane, then the dermatologist should listen to what the patient wants. The patient will be monitored while on it, so I see no problem giving it to someone who really wants it and believes that's the best thing for them. Good luck, I hope your new derm helps you out.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
    xxxxxx84
    Inactive

xxxxxx84 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonGirl44
    I agree with Aquarius. I never had a face full of acne, but I have persistent cysts in the cheek area that are usually 1/2 to 3/4 inches in diameter and last for months unless I get cortisone injections. I've been on Accutane for almost a month and already I can see such a difference. I have one massive cyst still next to my nose but when I go to get my second month of Accutane, I'm going to have that sucker injected. Anyway, because my face never seemed to look that bad to the dermatologists I went to in the past, they all were reluctant to prescribe Accutane to me. But I wanted to take it because I knew that it would be the only thing to finally end my cyst problems. By that point, in a 1 year span, I had 13 cortisone injections done, and although they work wonders, there's only so much a person can take with needles in the face. I guess my point is that we know our faces so much better than any dermatologist does and if acne doesn't respond to countless medications that are given, and what you want is accutane, then the dermatologist should listen to what the patient wants. The patient will be monitored while on it, so I see no problem giving it to someone who really wants it and believes that's the best thing for them. Good luck, I hope your new derm helps you out.
    I agree
    Most derms don't care what we think, they just treat symptoms, instead of people.
    I'm trying to get accutane prescribed too.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
    Beams222

Beams222 HB User

I just got back from the dermatologist and he is going to prescribe me accutane! Woo hoo! I used to be on Ortho Tri Cyclen but I stopped using it and so now I have to wait until I get a prescription from my gynecologist. That will be another month from now. Then I have to get my bloodwork done and do a pregnancy test and I will be ready! I won't be on it for another 6-8 weeks, but that's OK. I wish I had not stopped taking my BC pills, but I didn't know whether they were actually helping out or not. Now I know that they were helping some, and once I get on accutane, my face will hopefully get better. Yeah! You guys gave some great advice. Thanks. All I did was explain my situation and told him about everything that I had tried and he mentioned accutane to me and I asked if I would be willing to try it (he! he!) and I was like "Well, yeah, if it helps my face." He acted a little shocked though. He said my acne wasn't bad enough but if I wanted to try it I could. I don't see why a derm wouldn't want to prescribe accutane, even if it can be harmful. Thanks guys, and I agree with what you all said. If a derm won't prescribe it to you, then tell him/her that you will go find someone who will and walk out. They might rethink it.

Old 04-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
    xxxxxx84
    Inactive

xxxxxx84 HB User
    Talking Re: how to get new derm to prescribe accutane

I'm happy for you !!

I hope that my derm will be kind and understanding like yours too.

Last edited by xxxxxx84; 04-16-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Closed Thread