HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   What Acne Show Me. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/166403-what-acne-show-me.html)

froe 04-17-2004 05:07 PM

What Acne Show Me.

It was not until I had acne that I realized who my "REAL" friends were. People started to treat me "differently" when I got my worse acne breakout. I realized how superficial some of so called "friends" were... which really hurts. Anybody can argue with me and claim that it was my acne that "made me think" that way - that I THINK people are treating my different. YOU ARE RIGHT that acne tends to make you feel like YOU THINK that people are treating you "differently." However, the TRUTH is some people REALLY are superficial. You can tell. You would know. I'm sure people can relate to my experience. The problem with what I'm saying is that you can't prove it, but you know its true. If I were to accuse somebody of treating my "differently" than I was without acne, they could easily say it was my personality, when deep down it was my acne. But you can tell. YOU CAN TELL. Again, I am sure people here in the forum can relate to my experience.

Shy One 04-17-2004 05:56 PM

Re: What Acne Show Me.

Oh, I can definetly relate. There [I]is[/I] a huge difference in how people treat me according to how my face looks. In High School when I was in like 10th and 11th grade, my acne was at it's worst. I could hear peope around me wispering about it. :eek: And of course, most people didn't wanna hang out me [B]BECAUSE OF MY SKIN[/B]. When it started to clear up like majorly I was a senior and people treated me soooo much better. They would look at me straight it in face and talk to me. Now, my face is broken out pretty bad because of an initial breakout and I see the same pattern. It really pisses me off that looks are [I]that[/I] important to people. :mad:

Also, I've noticed that my confidence affects the way people look at me too. If I am not confident about my appearance that day, people will treat me differently. I must seem rude or something. But how can I walk around with my head held high with all these red marks and bright red pimples on my face? :confused:

member86 04-17-2004 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=frogprince]I don't mean to be cocky, but I consider myself fairly attractive. However, it was not until I had acne that I realized who my "REAL" friends were. People started to treat me "differently" when I got my worse acne breakout. I realized how superficial some of so called "friends" were... which really hurts. Anybody can argue with me and claim that it was my acne that "made me think" that way - that I THINK people are treating my different. YOU ARE RIGHT that acne tends to make you feel like YOU THINK that people are treating you "differently." However, the TRUTH is some people REALLY are superficial. You can tell. You would know. I'm sure people can relate to my experience. The problem with what I'm saying is that you can't prove it, but you know its true. If I were to accuse somebody of treating my "differently" than I was without acne, they could easily say it was my personality, when deep down it was my acne. But you can tell. YOU CAN TELL. Again, I am sure people here in the forum can relate to my experience.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. When I was clear, it seemed like people liked me way more. I used to have a lot of guys after me, more than now. It's o.k. though, because now I know the people that really like me for me!

VGN 04-18-2004 08:13 AM

I've had the same feelings from time to time, but almost all of my friends treat me exactly the same when I'm having a breakout as when my face is almost clear. It's obviously true that some superficial gits will judge you purely based on your facial clarity (hang on..), but it's also true that there are a lot of idiots in the world. As has been mentioned, it shows you who your real friends are.

However, it's not all about a few (or a lot of) red marks and whiteheads on your skin. I know from experience that my confidence suffers greatly when my spots break out or something, and your confidence plays a huge part in how people treat you. I was on a short holiday with about 20 friends a month or two ago, and I had just started a minocycline / differin gel treatment. So, naturally I had an initial breakout (combined with the remainders of the spots which pushed me to get the prescription). It was just nasty, the entire left part of my face, beside and underneath my dodgy sideburn attempt, was covered in huge spots, mostly whiteheads. Thanks to the Minocycline I've still got a few marks from this, and I really hope they're going to heal when I finish using it. Anyway... I spent most of the week wearing hoodies with the hood up because my confidence suffered so much. Even though they were all people I knew for months or years I couldn't bear to show them how bad it was.

I think I forgot what my point was a while ago, so here's a picture of a jester :jester:

pjlc 04-18-2004 09:38 AM

"I think I forgot what my point was a while ago, so here's a picture of a jester"
Nothing to add, other than agreement. I just wanted to say that this line was very, very funny!

Anita1982 04-18-2004 05:45 PM

You know, I must agree with you guys about the confidence thing that we seem to lack when we break out. Gosh, my skin was fine for about a few weeks and now it has all sorts of clogged pores all over my face. I am now 21 and have suffered moderate acne for about 5 years now. Before, I used to be very pretty but now, I have some discoloration and must disguise myself under some makeup in order to feel confident again. When people compliment about how pretty I am, I just chuckle thinking that: "gosh if they can really see my face when I take off my makeup." When I have my breakouts, I always hide whenever my sisters come over because they have perfect skin, and always act so confused everytime they see my pimply face (when I wear no makeup at home). They stare at my face and ask me why I have so much acne!!!! Damn it, it's not like I know why and choose to have these ugly things on my face!!!! They are incredibly insensitive. And once, my niece asked me why I have smallpox... Oh gosh!!! That was soo painful for me. I agree with someone who made a comment that he/she prefers to have another disease than acne.. I agree with that because at least with some other chronic problems you don't have to walk with your head down, or fear that people would stare at your blemishes when they talk to you. Man, I am about to lose my mind because I have tried so many things, wasted soo much money, and yet have the same skin I started out with. I feel like I am always under disguise or something because I always refuse to go weekend campings, or any far away trips with people who know me and who are used to seeing me with makeup, because I fear they would get freaked out or something when night falls and every one takes off their makeup. I always think about those years before the whole acne ordeal when I just left the house without worrying about anything that's acne-related. Like today, I was driving my niece to church and tears just rolled down on my cheeks. But of course, I have to be strong and move on... Oh well!!!!!!!
I just want to share with you guys about my personal story. I never told anyone in my family how much this has killed me over the years. I pretend like I don't care about it, but if they really see how my room is filled with acne creams and products, they'll understand. Take care everyone, and I guess we should never give up and keep on trying!!!!
Anita

Gday 04-18-2004 09:05 PM

I can't really relate this myself, but acne has made me look at people differently after experiencing it. I never had a problem with my skin, and my complexion was perfect until half a year ago...and then I starting breaking out for a few months, and finally everything is clearing up...but anyway, I have to say that acne made me see people (with it) differently, until I got it. Now I don't even notice acne when I look at a person, I can't even tell anymore...I guess if people treat you differently it's because of their ignorance, and that's their problem...but [I]something[/I] will open their eyes sometime ;)

member86 04-18-2004 09:56 PM

Yeah, someone at school thought I had chicken pox... It is always so embarassing.