It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Before you go destroying your face........

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
    GuyWhoLovesLife

GuyWhoLovesLife HB User
    Before you go destroying your face........

Hey all, first I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 17 years old, and while some people may think I'm new to these boards, I'm actually and old veteran. About 2 years ago I posted a lot here under the name "prayerman" and if anyone remembers me, nice to see you again

Secondly, I'd like to tell you a little about myself. I had struggled with acne for a long long time, I tried everything out there, antibiotics, creams, gels, diets, soaps...... and I'd like to give you my story on my triumph over acne and hopefully someone can benefit.

First of all, I wo uldn't recommend anyone using any creams on your face. They either thin your skin (like retin A) or they cause dryness and irritation (anything with benzoil peroxide) which can look worse than the actual acne itself. I also wouldn't use antibiotics, not for acne anyway. Antibiotics can make your skin extremely sensitive to the sun. Not just easily suceptable to sunburn, but can break your skin out in burns and boils do to the chemical reactions in the antibiotics. Longterm use of antibiotics aren't good anyway, considering most strong antibiotics are perscribed for 10 days so the body can't adjust to the power of them. Some people believe diets affect acne, and maybe this is so, but it's definately not so for everyone. Some people believe sodas affect acne, some think dairy, some say chocolate, some people think in order to rid yourself of acne you should fast on strickly water. While these ideas are all ideal and healthy, I hardly think acne is so reliant on the foods we eat. It's possible foods can affect acne on a person. People have many alergic reactions to different things, it's important you find what your body can handle. Now you're probably thinking, no creams, no antibiotics, no diets.... then what?? Well.... here's where my story shows a shred of light.

Some of you are not going to like what I'm going to say, and maybe I'm wrong and maybe this just worked for me, but I'd definately try it before you go and drop bombs all over your face. Because see the problem with most acne medications is that they treat certain phases of acne. For instance benzoil peroxide drys the skin, which may reduce some pimples, but the goal is to have natural healthy looking skin, redness looks worse than some acne in cases. After I had tried just about everything, my face was very red, easily irrated, and extremely oily. So I thought to myself, what do I have to lose? I'm quitting everything. And that's what I did for a while. My regiment is simple, here's what you'll need.

1 Bar of Antibacterial Soap (I prefer Dial)
    1 Washcloth (not a loffa, not a spunge, a simple washcloth)
    Water

Here's what you do. Anyone ever notice that when you wake up, your skin seems to have a different glow? A little more natural looking and less irritating? That's because when your skin has a chance to heal itself is in your sleep. So here's what I did..... Every night, I get into a warm shower, stand for a few minutes, sing a tune or 2, then I take my bar of soap and wash my body, then secondly I take my washcloth, scrub the bar of soap hard onto the washcloth until I can see the color of the soap, and gently massage onto my face. I don't let it sit very long. Lather my hair up with shampoo (contrary to belief, shampoo doesn't affect acne very much) and rinse my face with water. Now don't think this somehow made me have wonderful skin, because it didn't. It simply made my face a normal looking color, significantly reduced my acne pimples, and reduced the massive amounts of oil my face was producing. This was all about a year ago, and I've been acne free (on my face anyway) ever since.

Here are some more tips. Some people like to wash their face more than once a day, I wouldn't recommend this unless you have skin that isn't very sensitive. Also, I'd avoid placing my hands on a single spot on my face for very long. Some people don't like Dial Soap, there are many other soaps you can try such as Irish Spring, Lever 2000, Old Spice. I'd avoid anything with a moisturizer, because that tends to clog pores, and since you're only washing your face once (at night) then you shouldn't need one anyway.

Hopefully I've helped some, and I do love this community and I know many people whose acne has become quite a bit worse after visiting dermatologists or taking drugs for it. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions I have no problem in answering. Goodluck to everyone, and just remember, confidence is everything. Thanks and God bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
    Max_Payne

Max_Payne HB User
    Re: Before you go destroying your face........

damn i wished that would help but what kind of acne did you have?

Old 04-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
    GuyWhoLovesLife

GuyWhoLovesLife HB User

Along my neck and jawline I had deeper cystic type acne. Some which left minor scars. I have one scar over my right eyebrow between my hairline from a deeper pimple. I would account these types of pimples to the retin a micro I was using. Along my chin I had those little pussfilled pimples, some hard and some softer, on my forehead I had a few blackheads and more pussfilled pimples. I do admit though, I never had any extremely large or deep lesions, no nodes or huge cysts.

Old 04-17-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
    Max_Payne

Max_Payne HB User

I get huge cysts if i have dairy , so far my face is 95% clean right now

Old 04-17-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
    Max_Payne

Max_Payne HB User

What do you use in the morning when you wake up? i just wash my face with water

Old 04-18-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User

I tried what you did tonight and it left my face a bit dry but we'll see how it goes

I'm on Retin-A Gel 0.01% but it hasn't helped, I use a bit of Vitamin E cream i WAS using Aloe Vera Gel for the red marks but it didn't help

Old 04-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
    GuyWhoLovesLife

GuyWhoLovesLife HB User

Max payne, I don't do anything to my face in the morning, if it's oily I'll pat it dry with a towel or something, but my face isn't too oily anymore.

Legends, I'm not saying this will give you beautiful skin or anything, I'm just saying it gave my skin a natural and healthy look, and took away my acne. I still get a pimple every now and then but nothing very big or noticeable at all. It didn't work for me the first night, but I stuck with it and I'm fine now,so try and give it time. Also, it takes skin time to heal from the retin a, because it thins the skin. My face was red for a long time after I quit using my retin a, but my skin is somewhat sensitive.

Last edited by GuyWhoLovesLife; 04-18-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Closed Thread