It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Starting Accutane Please Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 PM   #1
    CraigTS367

CraigTS367 HB User
    Question Starting Accutane Please Help

To start with, thanks for your warnings in advance. I know many people are against buying from online pharmacies but they must not understand how this is affecting me. I will go to any length that will rid me of this condition. I am not able to get Accutane prescribed as I am having a problem with my insurance (or lack thereof). My only way to get it was to order from Canadian online pharmacy. I know people will warn against taking it without lab tests but I am willing to take that risk. Since I have no doctor I have to figure out my correct dosage.
    I have read most of the other posts on here and have a tentative dosing plan but I have a few questions for someone who is knowledgable about the dosage. I have pretty deep cystic acne that I believe has gotten that way through long-term use of antibiotics and I am currently taking the antibiotics. It was never like that before the antibiotics. Then it was more on the surface and easier to control. Now it is resistant and not responsive to any medications - topical or systemic.

What I've learned:
    - Daily dose should be between 0.5 and 2 mg/kg (I weigh 70 kg - 154 lbs.)
    - 120mg/kg of total body weight = total mg taken for full course
    - Starting at a lower dose can lessen the initial outbreak and other side effects

My possible plan:
    Start off at 40 mg/day for two weeks (.57)
    Then take 60 mg/day for two weeks (.85)
    Then take 80 mg/day for the rest of the treatment. 3 months? (1.14)

My main question is... at this dosage, how long should my treatment last total? According to the 120mg/kg total thing it would be 3 months at 80 mg.
    That is a total of 4 months cycle.
    Is this too short? Too long?
    Since I will have no medical supervision I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly before I start.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 03:58 AM   #2
    Clark

Clark HB User
    Re: Starting Accutane Please Help

Craig - First of all, be careful. I can understand your immediacy -- I think antibiotics have had the same effect on my skin (made it much worse than it used to be). During my 3 prior courses on Accutane, I was prescribed a 40mg/80mg/40mg (alternate every day) regimen. I believe I followed this course for somewhere between 4 and 5 months. I weighed between 135 lbs. and 150 lbs. at the time.

My bloodwork never showed any problems during this period, so it doesn't alarm me all that much that you will go without. I have read about others, however, that have had serious issues show up in the blood tests. Pay attention to how you feel. If it doesn't feel right, stop.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
    cln5462
    Inactive

cln5462 HB User

Here's what I suggest. Since you are not going to get bloodwork done, I would start with a low dose of 20mg/day. See how this goes. 20mg never affected my triglyceride levels or liver. Then if you don't see clearing in 2-3 weeks, then up the dosage. This is a play it safe method. The higher the dose the higher the risk. I've taken accutane before so I know my tolerance. I buy online all the time, however, I realize the risks.

Make sure you buy from a source that other accutane users recommend. On [url]www.*********[/url], many people suggest online sites that are reliable. Good luck. In my next life I'm coming back as a dermatologist. They prescribe stuff for a disease for which there is no cure. How easy is that. And 80% of thier patients are acne sufferers. What a scam.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
    Hamer

Hamer HB User

Please stop taking the antibiotics a while before you start the accutane because it causes pressure in the brain if you mix these two medications.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
    CraigTS367

CraigTS367 HB User

Hamer
    I didn't know that. How long should I be off the antibiotics before I start Accutane? Is a week enough?
    Thanks everyone.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
    mman

mman HB User

I took antibiotics thru the first month of accutane and my derm allowed it, so I would think a week or even right up until would be fine. It looks like you have done your research and you are going about everything cautiously but it is still dangerous w/out monitering your blood. Do you have no insurance at all or just insurance that won't cover accutane?? I would try and get my blood checked one way or another at least half way thru your treatment.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
    leb1977

leb1977 HB User

Can the experienced online buyers list some links that they use to purchase accutane online? I may be changing jobs before my course is over and i am concerned about having to stop the treatment due to gaps in insurance coverage...i never thought about purchasing online.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

First of all, not being monitored while on Accutane is very stupid and dangerous, thats a reason that it's safe beacause when u get your blood work and something is wrong, your off the treatment before permanent damage is done. The people that make Accutane have a program that it will pay for it if you can't afford it, look into that at their official website. Also, buying it off the internet is not a good idea.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #9
    Geek_USA

Geek_USA HB User

Well do not go up to 80mg daily, especialy not without blood tests. I say 40mg daily, and do a complete treatment of that which is 8 months. You can take antibiotics up to the day before you start accutane, as long as you do not take them together you should be fine. Your liver however could seriously be messed up if you dont watch with lab tests. I have had 2 blood tests, and now im good. However my hips and back sometimes hurts, as well as my stomach not being flat.

Good luck, the results are AMAZING with accutane.

Closed Thread