It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Any feedback regarding Avodart?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2004, 04:02 AM   #1
    Clark

Clark HB User
    Any feedback regarding Avodart?

This appears to be a viable alternative for males to spiro. Has anyone had success using this drug?

Chicane - Any update from you regarding your Avodart usage?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
    Hitmen
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hitmen HB User
    Re: Any feedback regarding Avodart?

Isn't Avodart basically a more potent version of Propecia?

Old 04-25-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
    Clark

Clark HB User

I suppose you could say that. An enzyme named 5-alpha-reductase is responsible for the conversion of testosterone into DHT, and there are 2 types of 5-A-R. Propecia only inhibits Type II 5-A-R, and for that reason is not completely effective against male pattern baldness or acne. Avodart inhibits BOTH Type I and Type II 5-A-R, and thus there are many people out there speculating that it may prove helpful in the fight against both acne and hairloss (I will defer to Sweetjade or anyone else who wants to refine this discussion of Avodart's scientific operation).

The FDA is currently conducting trials regarding efficacy against hair loss. I do speculate as to why they aren't conducting trials regarding efficacy against acne. Could be because they know some reason why it won't work. Or it could be because baldness is a higher priority based upon potential profitability. Not sure.

Last edited by Clark; 04-25-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
    Hitmen
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hitmen HB User

I will offer the warning that Avodart(Dustasteride) is relatively new so long term side effects are still unknown so be careful of that...however it does look to be the most effective blocker of DHT on the market.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:18 PM   #5
    Clark

Clark HB User

I discussed Avodart versus spiro today with the derm. Interestingly, he readily provided a prescription of spiro but wanted to stay away from Avodart at this point. His rationale was simply that spiro has a much longer and well-established history of usage against acne than avodart. He also was not all that concerned about the potential side effects of spiro, although we are going to do regular blood tests to monitor potassium levels.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
    Clark

Clark HB User

I've actually started to see some results with an increased dosage of saw palmetto, so I'm going to wait a few days before deciding whether to begin spiro. We decided to start at 50 mg/day and see how that goes, and if it's not effective, to increase to 100 mg/day. Joeh is doing 100 mg/day and so is Grimey.

Regarding the side effects -- this may be self-serving, but the technical info for spiro (Aldactone) does not read as frightening as some of the posts on this board. For example, ED is listed as a potential adverse effect in men, but sterility is not (there is a difference, and permanent sterility is significantly more adverse than temporary ED). Gynecomastia (breast enlargement) is also a potential adverse effect. It is clear, however, that the manufacturer anticipates that it will be prescribed for males, unlike Avodart which clearly indicates (over and over) that it should not be taken by females.

Every detail will be documented on this board. I still believe that there are continually users of this forum who achieve success and then disappear into the night, which is unbelievably selfish.

Old 05-23-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
    paddywhack

paddywhack HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark
    I've actually started to see some results with an increased dosage of saw palmetto, so I'm going to wait a few days before deciding whether to begin spiro. We decided to start at 50 mg/day and see how that goes, and if it's not effective, to increase to 100 mg/day. Joeh is doing 100 mg/day and so is Grimey.

Regarding the side effects -- this may be self-serving, but the technical info for spiro (Aldactone) does not read as frightening as some of the posts on this board. For example, ED is listed as a potential adverse effect in men, but sterility is not (there is a difference, and permanent sterility is significantly more adverse than temporary ED). Gynecomastia (breast enlargement) is also a potential adverse effect. It is clear, however, that the manufacturer anticipates that it will be prescribed for males, unlike Avodart which clearly indicates (over and over) that it should not be taken by females.

Every detail will be documented on this board. I still believe that there are continually users of this forum who achieve success and then disappear into the night, which is unbelievably selfish.
    Clark -- did you ever start on the spiro your dr. prescribed? If so, how's it going?

Grimey -- what about an update w/ you and spiro?

As for Chicane, I saw some messages he posted on another internet website where he was talking about how he was going to start some new regimen totally unrelated to Avodart. So it looks like Avodart did not work for him for whatever reason. In light of this and all of the other stuff I'm hearing about Avodart not working and POSSIBLY, I repeat possibly, resulting in some sort of upregulation of dht that could make acne worse if you ever went off Avodart, I've decided to nix my Avodart plan. I've ordered some topical Spiro and will try out along w/ continuing my regimen of 10g B5, Saw Palmetto, and Beta Sitosterol. I'm upping my dose of B5 to 10g from 6g and it has definitely dried my up over the past few days.

If this plan does not work, I will try Oral Spiro.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:42 AM   #8
    Clark

Clark HB User

Paddy - My current regimen, which includes a low dose of oral spiro, is working quite well. I'm not quite sure what is doing the trick, or even if it is the confluence of all the treatments, so I'm still waiting to declare victory. Plus, there are some lingering side effects that I'm not sure that I'll be able to deal with long-term.

That being said, here's what I'm doing that is working: 50mg/day spiro, 160mg/day saw palmetto, .1% tazorac cream at night, duac gel every once in a while.

The oral meds have made me lethargic and somewhat less mentally sharp, which is a problem. I'm waiting to see if this effect goes away, which hopefully it will, because this mixture is working really well.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
    Grimey
    (male)

Grimey HB User

I stop taking spiro 9 days ago. It just stop working for me!? The last week I was on spiro I was breaking out badly, even my cystic acne started to return...... I didn't see any reason for me to stay on spiro and risk it's possible effects anymore, especially since it was no longer controlling my acne.

Last edited by Grimey; 05-24-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:47 AM   #10
    Clark

Clark HB User

Geoff - That sucks. I'm currently faced with the dilemma of choosing between clear skin and having energy and proper brain function. Can we ever win?

Maybe you should try saw palmetto. When I increased the dosage up to 480 mg/day, I started to see results but had to back off because my brain was fogging. I'm starting to realize that this is a side effect that I experience with a lot of meds/supplements, and it may not adversely affect others in this way. May be worth a shot.

Also, I do think the Tazorac that I'm using is helping a good bit as well.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #11
    malia81
    (female)

malia81 HB User

does anyone know if saw palmetto will have the same effect on women i.e. cause irregular periods or spotting?

i have been taking spiro 150mg for 9 days and it dried out my skin wonderfully...but i got my period though i'm not sure if its because of the spiro or not. (bc the timing is ok...but i'm NEVER regular to begin with so who knows)

Old 05-27-2004, 02:30 PM   #12
    Grimey
    (male)

Grimey HB User

Edit: Just bought some saw palmetto. I'm going take 500mg/day (250mgx2 tabs).... I took sp before and didn't notice any improvement but that was at a lower dose. Hopefully the higher amount will help this time around!

Last edited by Grimey; 05-27-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread