It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Cereal Issues!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User
    Exclamation Cereal Issues!!!

Has eating cereal in the morning really caused breakouts for you guys?I know they have a lot of carbs in them, but that's the only thing that I can really eat. I gave up waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage,etc. I also don't eat eggs because I think they break me out too. But I eat Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes, Corn Pop, etc every morning. Could you post any problems you've had from it. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Brandon Green; 04-25-2004 at 09:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
    Jonesy
    (male)

Jonesy HB User
    Re: Cereal Issues!!!

If you're into the whole diet-acne relationship them, as I am increasingly, then avoid sugary stuff mate. Also, don't use full-fat milk, even semi-skimmed isn't good for a lot of people's skin. Even though I love my cereal I am considering giving it up for another alternative which isn't sugary or doesn't involve milk!

Old 04-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

Try eating organic cereals that are wheat free and naturally sweetened...but still don't have a lot of grams of sugar. I eat that and everything seems to be ok. I use soy milk also.

Old 04-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User
    Question Re: Cereal Issues!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CottonCandy
    Try eating organic cereals that are wheat free and naturally sweetened...but still don't have a lot of grams of sugar. I eat that and everything seems to be ok. I use soy milk also.
    Thanks for the suggestions Cotton Candy, where can I find this organic cereals at? I've never heard of them, and do they taste good

Old 04-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

I love them! You can find them at Whole Foods...Not sure if you have that where you are, or Trader Joe's. Kroger and Hiller's Market also carry some natural cereals. I like Oaty Bites which are wheat free and have 7 g sugar per serving. Kinda seems like a lot but it's sweetened w/ organic evaporated cane juice so it's not as bad. I also like Puffins cereal and Kashi makes a good one called Cranberry Sunshine.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Cereal Issues!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CottonCandy
    I love them! You can find them at Whole Foods...Not sure if you have that where you are, or Trader Joe's. Kroger and Hiller's Market also carry some natural cereals. I like Oaty Bites which are wheat free and have 7 g sugar per serving. Kinda seems like a lot but it's sweetened w/ organic evaporated cane juice so it's not as bad. I also like Puffins cereal and Kashi makes a good one called Cranberry Sunshine.
    I don't think I've ever heard of those stores I live in Chicago,Ill. I search for them anyway though!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

denatured grain (cereals) was a cause of my acne.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

Whole Foods Market is all over the Chicago area. Lakeview, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park all in Chicago and then there is one in Evanston, Palatine. River Forest, Wheaton, Deerfield, and Willowbrookw, Ill.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:21 AM   #9
    froe
    Inactive
    (male)

froe HB User

corn is a cause of acne and cereal is corn. If you do research, you'll see the corn is an inflammatory food.

stop eating cereal.

eat oatmeal, its better.

Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 AM   #10
    MsMeaganMay
    Inactive

MsMeaganMay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frogprince
    corn is a cause of acne and cereal is corn. If you do research, you'll see the corn is an inflammatory food.

stop eating cereal.

eat oatmeal, its better.

Actually, fruit is better

Can some tolerate oatmeal? Yes...some can. But, there are many who still cannot. I know that for me sometime last year when I thought oatmeal was safe and added it back in, I came out with some nasty spots. But, if you'd like to try oatmeal...atleast go for something other than the instant packaged kind they sell in the grocery stores...and don't cook it in the microwave. If you must have some type of hot cereal, try quinoa flakes (gluten and wheat free), but even those I would only eat on occasion. You don't HAVE to have cereal...you just THINK that you do. What's the point in giving up waffles, pancakes etc. if your still going to eat cereal? Besides being the fact that it has denatured grains, its been processed, generally has been fortified with vitamins, most have unnatural sugars, and dairy is involved (or even soymilk...which alot of people still cannot tolerate soy well...plus they usually have added sugars and sometimes dairy), not to mention cereal is a bad food combination as far as digestion goes.....well....if you just absolutely *Can't* give up cereal..maybe diet is not a route you should go. If you were to follow any of the "acne" diets...the paleolithic diet/the even better refined acne diet outlined by Prometheus/Wai's diet/or the low carb diet....cereal would not be an option..for any of those. Well, unless you were just following a gluten/wheat free diet..then I suppose you could eat it.

Last edited by MsMeaganMay; 04-26-2004 at 07:51 AM.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Cereal is such a crap food - its not even food really, more like dessert. Get yourself some oatmeal, miso soup with tofu, edammame that has some nutrients and quit having dessert for breakfast!!

Old 04-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #12
    euro18

euro18 HB User

the only cereal which is half acceptable is AllBran. I was reading an author who thinks we should give up all processed carbs cereals, bread pasta etc in order to combat acne, but he said that all-bran was the least worst cereal.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
    Nicko12
    Inactive

Nicko12 HB User

I use to eat cereal, but think that the milk was breaking me out. SO I don't eat cereal anymore past 2 months. I eat toast and orange or apple juice or water.. I am 100% clear now, got 2 red tiny spots fading over the past few weeks, but thats it... im taking multi vitamin steaming my face and drinking practically nothing but water and washing with dove sensative soap and exfoliating every few days with apricot scrub.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #14
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

What I am concerned about here is that people assume that cereal causes acne, which is not the case. Cereals such as fruit loops, frosted flakes, cocoa puffs are indeed CRAP and not good for the body, but not all cereal is bad. If you get the organic kind w/ the natural sugar, I really don't think u have anything to worry about unless you have an insulin problem. And as far as corn and oats go....if you are intolerant to those foods, well yes they may make you breakout, but if you aren't then they should be fine to eat. Natural cereals have fiber in them. When this whole diet and acne thing came up years ago on this board I completely changed my diet and basically starved myself. I ended up losing tons of weight and people thought I was anorexic. I didn't eat out at restaurants AT ALL, which put a damper on my social life. I have now incorporated a lot of other foods back into my diet, but they are all pretty healthy. I shop at Whole Foods which has a lot of options for you to choose from. Although it sounds as if some people have completely cleared from going carb free, I do not beleive that is the way to go. I do believe that u should stop eating white bread, over processed foods, trans fats, excessive dairy and red meats, sugars, pop, fruit juice from concentrate, cookies, cakes, candy... But look up the danger of a low carb diet and you may be surprised. There are good carbs and bad carbs, you just need to know the difference. My life is much more enjoyable now! It was my birthday on the 18th and I got a vegan cake from whole foods and it was excellent. Although it's not exactly "healthy" it's definitely healthier than "regular" cake and it was delicious! I eat out at restaurants now also. I'll get a grilled chicken salad and bring my own dressing or order grilled salmon, which they have at most nice restaurants. Take my experience with a grain of salt. I for one don't know if food has anything at all to do w/ my skin, but eating the way that I do is better for overall health. I think my main problem is getting the dead skin cells off that clog pores along w/ oil. Take Care all.
    (No nasty comments please...I certainly don't doubt what other people have said about carbs and their skin)

Old 04-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joquiero
    Cereal is such a crap food - its not even food really, more like dessert. Get yourself some oatmeal, miso soup with tofu, edammame that has some nutrients and quit having dessert for breakfast!!
    My nutrition professor believes that healthy cereals are actually a great snack since they are fortified with so many vitamins.

Closed Thread