It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Doxycycline - Tempting Fate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User
    Doxycycline - Tempting Fate

So I got done taking Accutane almost a year ago. Hated taking it, but it worked wonders. My skin was great until last October, and then my acne came back, but not quite as bad as before the Accutane. So I went to the derm and she prescribed Tretinoin cream. I tried that for 8 weeks and quit because the peeling, redness, and acne were only getting worse. So I made another appointment with the derm. Then, in early March, my face started to clear up. The only thing I can attribute it to is the change in weather, it got a lot warmer. I still went to my derm appointment yesterday, because even though my face is a lot better, I'm still not content. This time she prescribed Doxycycline in hopes that it will work better than the Minocycline did a few years ago because my skin is a little different now because of the Accutane.

What I'm wondering is if I'm tempting fate by taking Doxycycline. I did a search on this board for "Doxycycline" and a lot of people say it caused them to break out and gets cysts, and others say it worked great until they stopped taking it and then they broke out all over again. I'm wondering if I'm taking a chance of making my acne worse by taking Doxycycline, or if it's more of a "it might not work, but it won't make things any worse" type of thing. Even though I'm not as clear as I'd like, I'm in a lot better shape than I have been, and I don't want to trigger anything.

I also read some posts about people who say they felt fatigued all the time while taking Doxycycline. I was wondering if that's true. I'm already a pretty lazy person, I don't need some medicine making me feel tired all the time. And are there any weight loss problems with Doxycycline? I turned to skin and bones while on Accutane, and that wasn't good since I was skin and bones before I started taking it.

Any replies from people who have had experience with Doxycycline would be greatly appreciated.

Saw my reflection and cried
    So little hope that I died

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
    Finch

Finch HB User
    Re: Doxycycline - Tempting Fate

I remember Doxycycline didn't really do much for me. My derm. put me on Minocycline right after I was taken off Doxycycline. Doxycycline didn't help my face at all, made me sick, and made me tired.

I felt like I was going to throw up everytime I took the pill, and I have never had that reaction before or since then to any pills. In fact, several times I did throw up.

Drugs work differently on different people, so maybe it will be more effective on you. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
    ShowGal

ShowGal HB User

I've been taking Doxy for 2 months now. Since I haven't gone off of it yet, I can't answer what will happen then, but it's worked great so far. I read the post about it causing fatigue, and I haven't experienced that nor any weight loss (I wish it had! haha) Once in awhile if I don't eat enough breakfast or drink enough water with it, I'll feel a little nauseous, but it goes away, and it's only happened a couple of times.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll go ahead and pop the first pill and see what happens.

Any more comments are welcome.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:34 AM   #5
    reni
    Senior Veteran

reni HB User

I tried doxycycline last year. Within a week, not only was my skin clear, but my large pores actually shrunk! Day by day I watched my skin morph into beautiful baby skin. I had never seen anything like it and was overjoyed beyond belief!! All I had been expecting was no blemishes, not gorgeous skin!! After about 10 days I started to get a rash on my chest. I knew a skin rash was a sign of an allergic reaction to antibiotics, but I tried to ignore it for a while, because I didn't want to give up my beloved doxy! I tried to convince myself the rash was due to something else. It got bad, though, and I had to stop taking the drug. Boo-hoo!! Then my skin went right back to the way it was.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:31 AM   #6
    avron
    (male)

avron HB User

I've had fatigue, difficulty in breathing and oral thrush after taking Doxycycline.

My body really hates antibiotics

Old 04-26-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
    rania
    (female)

rania HB User

hey ratman

I have taken doxy on and off since i was 19 (am almost 22 now) and it has always given me good results.Ive accepted the fact that i have acne that will never go away unless im on antibiotics. Doxycycline is the only thing that has worked for me. It never really gave me a rash or anything but if i took it without food, i felt extremely nauseous. My derm suggested i take it with food, but avoid it with dairy products. I have read posts where people havent had good results with it but then everyone has a differnt reaction with diff. antibiotics,like i had absolutely no results with erythromycin-infact it made me sick for a while. I think u shud definetly give doxy a chance. I cant ever think of giving it up permanently. If i do get off of it however, the acne is back again, and recently its been back faster than previous times when i've been off it. I suppose thats got something to do withthe dosage though. The only thing you have to make sure of is to use sunscreen while ur on doxy. It can make ur skin photosensitive to the sun. I have moderate to severe acne and some of it is cystic so i hate getting to the point where i give up doxy and have my acne return. And it ALWAYS comes back.The only solution is to keep it under control. Avoid getting to the point where the infection returns, because i can tell u -its worse than before and makes u feel horrible. Besides doxy is a pretty safe medicine and doesnt even cost all that much.
    I hope it works for u! good luck.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #8
    triggert

triggert HB User

I tried Doxy for a month and my face broke out like crazy. I went from 1-3 active pimples to 10+! I quit taking it and went back to Accutane and my face is slowly starting to recover. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Trigg

Old 04-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
    TRINITY76

TRINITY76 HB User

Doxy doens't do a darn thing for acne, nothing, I have tried twice with no results one way of the other, but the side effects are worse then accutane, The only thing that will truly work is accutane kids. NOthing else will change your strutcuture to your face, with oil and bateria.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #10
    minou
    (female)

minou HB User

I have been on Doxy since December 2003, I had immediate results with it, my skin did a complete turn around after only a week on Doxy. i stopped taking it for a month now and my skin is not doing so well. i went to the pharmacy today and got a refill. I guess you are right, once you stop taking it acne comes right back. so frustrating.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
    Ratman
    (male)

Ratman HB User

Hmmm, we've got some mixed results here. Looks like about half say it works and half say it doesn't. I've only been on it for 2 days now, so I'm not gonna say if it's working or not, gotta give it a week at least.

The only thing I've noticed is initially after taking it I felt a little sore in my joints, but that's seeming to go away already.

And I seriously doubt the side effects of Doxy are as bad as Accutane. Accutane was killer. Unfortunately, I have to agree that Accutane is the only drug that really changes what's inside your body to stop acne......at least for a little while. I don't look forward to taking anti-biotics for a long period of time and I don't know how healthy that is, but I'm not quite ready to go back on Accutane again.

I'll give an update on my acne after the one week mark.

P.S. Did anyone notice more oil on their face while taking Doxy? My face has gotten a lot more oily in the last couple days. Basically, it's about as oily as it was before I went on Accutane. But that could just be my face getting back to normal. It's been getting increasingly oily over the last few months since the Accutane "wore off". Could be the heat too.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
    CraigTS367

CraigTS367 HB User

My face did get extremely oily while I was on Doxycycline. I didn't think of a connection between the two but now that someone mentioned it... hmmmmm.
    While I was taking it, it did nothing for me. My acne became more resistant and is rooted deeper down in the skin now. More cystic than before. Before it was mainly surface. Has anyone used Clindamycin? I am using it now and have been on and off for about 4 years. However I think it's not quite as effective on me anymore after using it for so long. But the first time I used it my face cleared completely and I was close to being acne-free for about a year. But after it, nothing seems to work at all. I am starting to think that using any antibiotics, especially multiple different ones makes your acne evolve into a stronger 'species' and it gets more resistant to treatment. I really feel that if I would have never used antibiotics and just let my acne run it's natural course internally and used just topicals that I would not have acne at all today and I wouldn't have to consider taking Accutane because now that is the only thing left that may be strong enough to stop it... But who could say for sure.. I'll just stick with the Clindamycin until I get someone to prescribe accutane for me. I've had quite enough of this. But to answer your question, no I think doxy sucks and I wouldn't recommend it, but it may be worth a shot and good luck.

Closed Thread