It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• alesse birth control pill and acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
    jennajennajenna
    Inactive

jennajennajenna HB User
    Exclamation alesse birth control pill and acne

my doc just prescribed alesse, and though i haven't started taking it yet, i'm extremeley worried by some of the things i've seen on these borads...
    i know that the effects are different for everyone, but i've read things as contridictory as alesse being one of the worst acne causing pills AND it being prescribed to treat acne.. i dunno how it could be both
    if someone could help clear this up for me (no pun intended hehe) it would be greatly appreciated
    i'm almost done with accutane and don't wanna have acne again!

thanks muchly,
    jenna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Re: alesse birth control pill and acne

Alesse was pretty much what started my mild acne problem all together. It could be different for you but I hate that pill so much!!!!!!!!!!! At that point I never knew that a bcp could affect your skin and acne but once I found out and went to my derm., she showed me a chart of the most androgenic and least androgenic and Alesse was definitely up there with the most androgenic (most likely to cause acne). I have heard different stories like you said though. Some people have claimed that they were prescribed Alesse to TREAT acne...sounds unbelievable to me. My skin hated that pill.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
    jennajennajenna
    Inactive

jennajennajenna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latayy26
    Alesse was pretty much what started my mild acne problem all together. It could be different for you but I hate that pill so much!!!!!!!!!!! At that point I never knew that a bcp could affect your skin and acne but once I found out and went to my derm., she showed me a chart of the most androgenic and least androgenic and Alesse was definitely up there with the most androgenic (most likely to cause acne). I have heard different stories like you said though. Some people have claimed that they were prescribed Alesse to TREAT acne...sounds unbelievable to me. My skin hated that pill.
    would you say that before you went on the pill your hormones were generally balanced?
    i'm not sure how you tell but i'm guessing that something like having (or not having) bad PMS symptoms could be an indicater..
    i was thinking about this a lot today and came up with a theory that maybe the women who break out on birth control already have balanced hormones, and the pill throws it off wack.. i'm probably way off though
    i'm really nervous because i have a very important event in less than 3 months that i need to look good for, so i don't have the time to wait it out let alone try out different kinds..
    sorry for babbling so much... if anyone has any more info it would be appreciated

Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
    jennajennajenna
    Inactive

jennajennajenna HB User

oh and.. how long did it take for the acne to show up and then go away (once you stopped taking it)? and did it happen to increase your bust size?
    *information junkie*

Old 05-05-2004, 04:19 AM   #5
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

The acne showed up within the first few months of taking it but I was too dumb to realize that it could be the bcp I was on so I didn't do anything about it and stayed on it for almost a year. I then switched to Yasmin which is suppose to be great for acne and cleared up A LOT almost immediately. I don't know if I really know that my hormones were balanced before I went on Alesse, but I definitely NEVER had acne before that. Alesse didn't increase my breast size at all but Yasmin did a bit. I don't know exactly how common it is for people to break out from Alesse like I did although I feel like I have heard of many people that have. So if you are real worried about it messing with your hormones in the wrong way, I would just advise you to ask your doctor for a different brand of pill since there are hundreds out there.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

Jenna: Here's a really interesting website for choosing a pill. It tells you how much estrogenic, progestational and androgenic activity a pill has. According to this site the androgenic activity in Alesse is moderate; there are pills out there that are suppose to be better for acne... hope this helps

[url]http://www.fpnotebook.com/GYN116.htm[/url]

Old 11-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #7
    Mary_J_1979
    (female)

Mary_J_1979 HB User

I can tell you from my personal experience that Alesse is the ONLY birth control pill that has worked for me. I used to break out with terrible acne while being on many other pills. Alesse is one of the lowest doses of estrogen that is available and for my body, I do not need a lot of estrogen to feel "normal". I would definitely give it a try, it might just be the answer to your problems with acne! I hardly ever break out anymore, and I've been on Alesse for a couple of years now. I hope this helps.=)

Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
    LisaMarie982001
    (female)

LisaMarie982001 HB User

Don't take it PLEASE!!!!! Look at my other posts. I was taking otc pills and they worked great but i got mood swings. Long story short I went on aleese and that was the start of my horrible acne!!! I am still suffering from what that bcpill did to me!!!! I have a lot of scars on my face from all the acne that came. NOT FUN!!!! I am begging you not to take that pill!!!! The book The hormonally Vulnerable woman by geoffrey redmond READ IT! He says that he feels that aleese is not a good pill and feels that it does nothing for you. He talks about birth control pills. He has also done testing on bc pills. He says yasmin and otc is the best pills for acne.

I was just like latayy. I didn't think that it was my bcp. Please seriously don't take the pill. I am going through depression and now my dr's think that I have that thing (can't remember the name) where you don't want to leave the house. In the beginning I didn't want to leave the house be/c of my acne and scars but now it has turned into a bigger problem.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
    babygirl2005_21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Well I don't know about not taking Alesse. My skin was great when I was on it for 2 years. When I decided to take a break from it is when I started getting acne. The only thing I didn't like about it is it made me gain weight. I am now on Yasmin. I like it alot as far as no weight gain. It works pretty good for my skin too.

Closed Thread