It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Cocoa butter for acne? Huh?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
    WannabeOrlando

WannabeOrlando HB User
    Cocoa butter for acne? Huh?

I read somewhere on this board that cocoa butter is good thing for people with acne...Like a moisturizer...

Out of curiousity i just went to this body shop and saw the cocoa butter...first of all it says on the package that its not meant for the face and second of all it looks sooo fat and pores clogging that it really makes me wonder how the hell this could be used as a moisturizer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
    Re: Cocoa butter for acne? Huh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WannabeOrlando
    I read somewhere on this board that cocoa butter is good thing for people with acne...Like a moisturizer...

Out of curiousity i just went to this body shop and saw the cocoa butter...first of all it says on the package that its not meant for the face and second of all it looks sooo fat and pores clogging that it really makes me wonder how the hell this could be used as a moisturizer?

It is pore clogging, do not use it as a moisturizer. Use anything that says its non-comodegenic and if it says fragrance free that is usually better too.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:46 AM   #3
    XxTawnyxX

XxTawnyxX HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
    It is pore clogging, do not use it as a moisturizer. Use anything that says its non-comodegenic and if it says fragrance free that is usually better too.
    I agree 100%. Cocoa Butter is highly comedogenic. I can't even use Cocoa Butter lotion on my hands because if I touch my face at all I break out like crazy. I think Cocoa Butter is supposed to work well for scars and stretch marks, but anyone with acne-prone skin should keep this stuff far away from their face!

Old 05-09-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
    moviechick

moviechick HB User

Try shea butter. I use it nightly and sometimes during the day. It leaves your skin silky smooth and wont clog your pores. Make sure it's 100% natural and unrefined with nothing else added to it. You can get a pound of it for less than 10 bux on the net.

Old 05-10-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

I have to disagree on this one. I've been using cocoa butter on my entire body for over a week and I haven't broken out. I have oily/combination skin and it's definately stopped my skin from being oily and the texture is really good too. It helps to fade the red marks you get once the acne has healed. My confidence is soaring at the moment, my skin looks fantastic. I've noticed people looking at me too. It is a major improvement. My back acne is 100% clear and it was a mess before I used it. After having a shower at night, I don't dry myself off, just apply a small amount of cocoa butter to my entire body (including my face) while I'm wet and it absorbs really quickly and my skin looks great afterwards. I've been using Palmers Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E. I haven't found this to be pore clogging at all and I've used non-comedonic (spelling!) moisturisers in the past which have been a load of crap. I've found that if I use products directed for the treatment of acne it makes my skin worse. If I use something for normal skin it improves. I haven't been using any cleansing products either. I believe that water is just as sufficient and in my experience eliminates skin irritation.

Ltr

Old 05-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
    WannabeOrlando

WannabeOrlando HB User

You are saying after the acne has healed.But if yuo are still in the process of acne then cocoa butter isnt really the best thing to use, is it?

Old 05-11-2004, 01:41 AM   #7
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Slight clarification. I still have acne. Only on my face now. I suffer from moderate acne. What I meant was when you have had a bad spot and it's healed, your normally left with a red/dark mark. Cocoa butter helps to fade them and even out your complexion.

Old 05-11-2004, 03:57 AM   #8
    WannabeOrlando

WannabeOrlando HB User

Yes but wont the skin get really oily from that?

Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 AM   #9
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

To be completely honest with you WannaBeOrlando, Cocoa Butter is a great moisturiser for the body. I suffered with mild to moderate acne on my back at one point and it was really bad. I could feel these big lumps on my back. Anyway, once I applied Cocoa Butter to my body after having a shower every night I can safely say that it has 100% cleared up. I still have mild to moderate acne on my face so I can only assume that maybe it's not the best thing to apply to your face, but it has 100% cleared body acne. Personally I do find it to be huge dent to my male ego to have to moistuise, but if it helps me to look my best, I'll do it.

LTR

Old 05-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #10
    WannabeOrlando

WannabeOrlando HB User

Thank you for the information! Oh well I dont care about the products, I just use whatever helps me to get rid of acne. But I think I'll defenitely give this cocoa butter a chance!

I don't have that much of a back acne and besides it would be very difficult to apply it myself so Ill have to ask my sister lol but overall it might just work as a great moisturizer for the entire body, pimpled or not!

Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 AM   #11
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Glad to have been of some help! My advice to you is not to apply it to your face.

LTR

Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
    model55
    (male)

model55 HB User

I absolutely agree with you! I started using coco butter about 2 months ago and my skin looks amazing. I also use it right after a shower or wash my face, but not while skin is wet (might try that now thanks , but anyway it can clog your pores if you use too much, just apply lightly, considering it's thickness. Palmer's with Vit. E is what I also use. Good luck and tell me if it works for ya.

Closed Thread