It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What's the best thing for cystic acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2004, 03:59 AM   #1
    littleone314
    Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
    What's the best thing for cystic acne?

Anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Smile Re: What's the best thing for cystic acne?

If its really bad accutane would be the most effective drug for it.But there are risks with taking it just like there are risks with any drug.I believe accutane has the highest clearing rate of all the medications you can take for acne.Take care.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
    andrew127
    (male)

andrew127 HB User
    Re: What's the best thing for cystic acne?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzyshop1
    If its really bad accutane would be the most effective drug for it.But there are risks with taking it just like there are risks with any drug.I believe accutane has the highest clearing rate of all the medications you can take for acne.Take care.
    If acutane is the best why is everyone taking spiro and other medications. Why isn't everyone on acutane if it is so good?

Just wondering, thanks.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
    KillerBoots,man

KillerBoots,man HB User

personal experience= spiro and yasmin

Old 05-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Andrew 127 the reason is because accutane is for those whose acne wont respond to other medications.Accutane has a high % rate for clearing acne.But its for the kind of acne that stubbornly resist other medications.It also has some risk factors in taking it,just like other drugs.Thats why the blood tests.If you read all the posts on the acne forum you will find that quite alot of ppl have tried accutane ,me being one of them.Hope this answers your questions .Take care.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
    dolphins
    (female)

dolphins HB User

What about if you get cystic 'acne' but only one cyst type pimple at a time + infected? However, they appear almost directly after each one has cleared up. Does anyone know the best option for this? Have been on Akamin (minocycline) for nearly 2 yrs which is starting to have nil effect-

Old 05-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Smile Re: What's the best thing for cystic acne?

I had somewhat similar problem.I would get them on my chin,and no sooner than the swelling would go down on it another one would pop up.Meanwhile they would leave white dots under my skin that would takes months to disappear.I took antibiotics and topicals on the skin to no avail.The last resort i was put on was accutane.Take care

Old 05-19-2004, 07:32 PM   #8
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

If you haven't cleared up and it is having lil effect than its time to move on, to something else.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
    dolphins
    (female)

dolphins HB User

Cheers, thanks. Have started taking Dicloxacillin (yesterday), one course 34 tabs as I have an infected/cyst type pimple at the moment. GP has referred me to the dermatologist as referral had past expired. Will see what happens -

Old 05-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
    U4IA

U4IA HB User
    Lightbulb Re: What's the best thing for cystic acne?

The best thing for cystic acne, if you are a female, is to find out what is causing it and treat the cause. You need tests to determine if you have elevated androgen in your blood. If you do, you then need to find the source of the androgen. Is it ovarian as in Polycystic Ovarian Disease or is it from the Adrenal. Or is your acne caused by a skin sensitivity to normal levels of androgen.

The problem is doctors want to treat the symptoms. They do not want to take the time to find the cause. So they prescribe the conventional treatments antibiotics, creams, drying agents, etc. If those don't work then its Accutane.

Now don't get me wrong I am not knocking Accutane as it does wonders and has its place. I have taken it myself. But it does not do anything in helping to find the root cause of the problem. I now take spiro. Had I known about spiro and the pathophysiology of acne years ago, I would not have needed to take Accutane.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:15 AM   #11
    ace_chick01

ace_chick01 HB User

I heard that Accutane is the only medication available that is for cystic acne alone

Old 05-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #12
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Yeah there are others but accutane is the best one for cystic ance or any acne that doesnt respond to other medications.

Old 05-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

I am male, with mild cystic acne i guess. Sometimes it gets bad 5-6+ cysts at a time..(cant remember because im not too bad right now) But cystic acne is pretty much all i get, some whiteheads, but those are small and managable. What are the meds for cystic acne, givin before accutane. I am about to get some insurance, and would like to visit a derm and ask for what i want to get.

Im on b5 right now, its not going too well, my oil is still pretty high, and its due to my increased testosterone. And working out all the time i know doesn't help much either, but i love working out so that ranks over stopping acne atm, so since b5 aint working i need somthing perscribed it seems. And i wanna go in and ask for what i want instead of him getting me on some **** to end up making him more money in the long run.

Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 PM   #14
    monminkellan

monminkellan HB User

This sounds simple, I've posted a thread before, but for anyone new here goes! I am completely acne free after three months using hydrogen peroxide as my toner. I wash with Noxema then swab my face with hydorgen peroxide and then moisturize after that dries. I have had no drying, no bleaching (which some people worry about because it does bleach hair, so stay away from eyebrows) nothing negative AT ALL!!!) Hydrogen Peroxide is an antiseptic and if I have anything about to pop up it kills it immediately and dries them out, without drying skin!! I'm telling you, it's amazing!! It's less than a dollar, at certain stores less than $0.50. I use it morning and night! I have broken free from the embarrasment of acne, the planning ahead as to when I might get a breakout, etc. Please try it. It might sting at first because it's killing all the germs. It doesn't sting me any longer because I have no acne for it to kill and therefore sting! Good luck

Closed Thread