It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• My Differin/Minocycline regimen update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
    VGN
    (male)

VGN HB User
    My Differin/Minocycline regimen update

So I'm almost finished a 3 month regimen of 1 minocycline tablet a day and differin application at night, as well as 99.9% aloe vera gel usage for moisturization and placebo work, and I'm pretty damn unhappy. After the initial breakout (which was terrible) I noticed that I was getting fewer and fewer new whiteheads for a couple of months. However, I also noticed that the red marks that the spots were leaving - even though I don't pick or pop them - weren't fading, and they still haven't. I'm fairly confident that they will.. but it'll be months, or years.

But the semi-clarity wasn't to last. In the last week mainly I've noticed a large increase in blackheads on my cheeks (which had never really been a problem for me), resulting in irritating spots, some of which have been accidently popped when I'm cleaning my face in the morning / night / whenever. So, combined with the red marks that simply refuse to fade, my face is in bits Just in time for summer too!!

I'm going to get an update from my doctor in the next week or so, and I'm thinking that unless there's some other treatment that I haven't heard of, despite the fact that my acne is mild-moderate (looking considerably worse on a now-crap skin texture) the next step will be accutane of some sort. Unlike a lot of people I've read posts from, I -don't- want to try accutane, the side effects look worse than the cure. I want help on singling out the cause(s) of my acne, dietary or hormonal, and eliminating or controlling them..

I turned 19 yesterday, I guess this'll be my 4th year of 'hoping it'll clear up by the time I'm (current age + 1)'. But of course I know by now that hoping for it to happen is rubbish, hoping a treatment will control it indefinitely is rubbish, eliminating or culling parts of my diet is rubbish... Acne - Medicine's Rubiks Cube.

So anyway I'll keep you informed, or .. keep myself informed. Whoever I wrote this post for.

Last edited by VGN; 05-21-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User
    Re: My Differin/Minocycline regimen update

Im sorry to tell you this but until your off minocycline your red spots will stay, they might fade a lil. Once your off they will completely fade in months or even up to half an year. That rule goes to any tetracycline ( anti-biotic).

Old 05-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
    jenna1

jenna1 HB User
    Re: My Differin/Minocycline regimen update

Almost two months ago my face was full of acne and red scars. I went to the Dermatologist and was prescribed minocycline, differin gel and was given samples of benzaclin. Four days after taking the minocycline I became extremely sick so I stopped taking them and just used the benzaclin in the morning and differin gel at night. Within a couple of weeks I noticed my face clearing up and my red scars were fading. Today, my skin has never looked better!!! I still have a few breakouts, but my red marks are diminishing giving me the confidence not to cover them up w/ foundation.

BTW, I'm 30 and been suffering w/ acne since 13. I've basically tried anything and everything, including drinking plenty of water and watching what I eat to no avail. I'm just happy to find something that keeps my acne under control!!!

Closed Thread