It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Anyone had any probs with potassium levels & spiro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
    22Girl

22Girl HB User
    Anyone had any probs with potassium levels & spiro?

I was just wondering how common it is for potassium levels to get too high while on spiro? For those who have been getting blood tests done have you had any problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Re: Anyone had any probs with potassium levels & spiro?

While I was on Spiro, I didn't have any blood tests done so I'm not sure if my potassium levels actually did get too high or not. However, one night I was out with my bf and I had had a few beers. All the sudden I felt real nauseous and started to black out. I got really really thirst all the sudden and had to go outside. I felt so hot and flushed and was sure I was about to throw up although I never did. It lasted about 5 min. probably and then my boyfriend and I walked back to his apt. He wanted to get someone's car to take me back but I decided I would try to walk. I called my derm. the next day to ask him if maybe it was the spiro/alcohol combo and he said that since they are both diuretics it probably made me very very dehydrated. So hopefully that's all it was but I know that potassium levels that are too high can cause dizziness/fainting so I guess it could be that too but he never ordered any blood test to figure it out for sure. I quit taking it about a month ago, not because of the side effect, but because I'm pretty clear without it and if I don't really need drugs, I'd rather not take them! DRINK WATER ON SPIRO!!!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
    jodi924

jodi924 HB User

Latayy,
    so you are off of spiro now? How long before it started to work for you? I'm on 50 mg a day plus yasmin. I think i'm starting to see an improvement....but i'm still getting some new blemishes. Its only been three weeks for me. I did notice that i'm getting really dry around my nose. Is drying a side effect? I'd love to hear your feedback. thanks

Old 06-05-2004, 01:48 AM   #4
    22Girl

22Girl HB User

I'm getting really dry skin too, but it's better than acne

Last edited by 22Girl; 06-05-2004 at 01:49 AM.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User

I am off spiro now. It started to work right away I would say. I've never had oily skin so it did make me dry as well. Drying is definitely a common common side effect. I just had to moisturize a lot to stop that flaking skin, YUCK! I was also on 50 mg a day and Yasmin. I am still on the Yasmin. I still have a full prescription bottle full of spiro so I guess if I start to breakout again I will start taking it again. I am not giving credit to the spiro though for clearing me because I've read that it leaves your system as soon as you stop taking it and Accutane is the only drug that permanently does something for acne. I just found that my skin was clear while I wasn't taking it so I might as well stop! My main thing is just blackheads on my nose now which tons of people have but they annoy me. I don't think the spiro will do anything for those though. I would definitely recommend spiro to anyone though. Besides the dryness and dehydrating side effects, I think it was amazing in clearing my skin.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
    jodi924

jodi924 HB User

My dryness just started a few days ago. I've been on Spiro for three weeks now. I'm really dry around my nose and eyes. It's irratating but if it's going to clear me then I'm fine with being dry. Is this a sign that the Spiro is beginning to work? Hopefully. Do you recommend a good moisturizer? I am still breaking out on the lower half of my face. I've got two good-sized jaw line blemishes in full effect. How long were you on the Spiro for? What kind of blemishes were you getting beforehand? I really hope Spiro is the key for me! I've been on Yasmin since late October. I had the bad inital breakout, then a good period through Feb and March. Then I started breaking out again. I just want this cycle to be over!! I got engaged last weekend...before I can even think about a wedding I need to get my skin problems under control.
    So it continues...I'm hoping the next few weeks will look up for me...

Old 06-12-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
    im1here
    Veteran
    (female)

im1here HB User

Spironolactone is a potassium sparing diuretic-the only ways I know of lowering potassium levels are to take a diuretic that depletes potassium (like lasix/furosemide), taking insulin, or taking kayexelate-all of which are prescribed meds. Are you still taking spiro? Maybe yur doctor should lower your doseage and put you on a low potassium diet.

Closed Thread