It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What are the basic DON'T EAT foods? (Yes I'm an idiot)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
    troy_mcClure
    (female)

troy_mcClure HB User
    What are the basic DON'T EAT foods? (Yes I'm an idiot)

Other than sugars and dairy,
    what should I avoid? I'm really gonna take this advice so, lay it on me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
    pageantchicka16
    (female)

pageantchicka16 HB User
    Re: What are the basic DON'T EAT foods? (Yes I'm an idiot)

Hey!! I eat dairy all the time and it dosen't break my face out!!! So keep with the dairy! I used to have sever acne and I changed my diet and now I am clear! So here are the foods that I do not eat:

FOODS HIGHEST IN IODINE AND BROMIDE TO AVOID

*CHOCOLATE
    *VITAMIN-MINERAL COMBINATIONS
    MINERALS (IODINE) IN KELP
    VITAMIN-MINERAL COMBINAIONS
    *TOMATOES
    *PIZZA
    *TOMATO SAUCE
    *KETCHUP
    *STEAK SAUCE
    *MARINATED MEATS
    *MUSHROOMS
    *GARLIC
    *IODIZED SALT
    *FRESH APPLES
    *APPLE CIDER
    *APPLESAUCE
    *BANANAS
    *TUNA
    *SHRIMP
    *LOBSTER
    *CRAB
    *SMOKED HERRING
    *OYSTERS
    *SALMON
    *COD
    *ANCHOVIES
    *EEL
    *WHITING
    *AUSTRALIAN FROG LEGS
    *GREEM BEANS
    *GREEN PEAS
    *CAULIFLOWER
    *ASPARAGUS
    *CABBAGE
    *SALAD DRESSINGS
    *POTATOES
    *SUGAR
    *OILS
    *RESTAURANTS
    *FAST FOOD CHAINS
    *DORITOS
    *SCHOOL LUNCHES

Acne Causing Fruits & Vegetables
    Mango
    Papaya
    Banana
    Peas
    Carrots

Acne Causing Foods
    Bagels
    Pita
    Rice cakes
    Rice
    Pota

Those are the foods that I do not eat!!! Stay far away from sugar!!! For salt, buy iodine free salt!!! My doctor gave me this list and without it, I would be so miserable!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

I've found that coffee (especially Frappuccinos which I LOVE) make my skin look really dull. Also, i've noticed that a few days after drinking soda my skin looks sallow.

On a medical note, a doctor told me that intestinal flora and hormones are MAINLY responsible for a skins condition. So, you should do all you can to keep your intestine well by taking accodophulus, and by avoiding wheat, dairy, antibiotics, fermented foods. Also, the doctor said, eliminate a food for 4-5 days then eat a lot of it and see how your skin reacts, THAT should tell you what your triggers are.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
    flim flam
    Inactive

flim flam HB User

I disagree with 90% of what the first guy who replied said, but everyone's different...

The foods to avoid for most people are sugar, dairy, WHEAT and most grains, anything with hydrogenated vegetable oil, anything with a large amount of additives/preservatives, coffee, fruit juice and (ideally) red meat. The main ones are really sugar, wheat and dairy.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Basically, if it tastes really good and you crave it, its bad for you!!! haha

Old 06-04-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

After reading other posts I've realized that we all have our different triggers. I'm going to keep a food diary (i know it sounds anal) because some days my skin just glows beautifully and I look so healthy and then other days, like today, I look like i lead a very unhealthy life. I really want to find out what it is that trigger my own skin problems.

For you, try eating just veggies for a week then introduce a food into your diet and after 5 days, see if there a reaction.

Strange though, my dermatologist told me that food has nothing to do with a skins condition - that only hormones determine its condition.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
    euro18

euro18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joquiero
    Food has nothing to do with the skin's condition that only hormones determine its condition.
    And what do you think has the biggest effect on hormones? drugs or food? FOOD! This is why, I don't know if any of you have noticed that if you don't eat much cos of sickness or whatever, your skin will improve.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
    DrFunk

DrFunk HB User

going by the first post, the person said that apples are bad??? I thought apples are really good?!?! I LOVE apples and have about 3 or 4 a day, but my acne is pretty bad so....

Old 06-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
    CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User

I wouldn't avoid apples...and I wouldn't avoid carrots either. Yeah carrots have sugar in them...but it isn't table sugar so unless u have diabetes or something eat up!

Old 06-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by euro18
    And what do you think has the biggest effect on hormones? drugs or food? FOOD! This is why, I don't know if any of you have noticed that if you don't eat much cos of sickness or whatever, your skin will improve.

You misquoted me. I said 'my dermatologist said...'. Personally, I think food HAS to be a factor. But the medical community is still split on whether there is any bearing.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:15 PM   #11
    flim flam
    Inactive

flim flam HB User

Quote:
    going by the first post, the person said that apples are bad??? I thought apples are really good?!?! I LOVE apples and have about 3 or 4 a day, but my acne is pretty bad so....
    Apples are absolutely fine

Quote:
    Strange though, my dermatologist told me that food has nothing to do with a skins condition - that only hormones determine its condition.
    Further proof that 99% of dermatologists are morons

Old 06-04-2004, 02:47 PM   #12
    lionna

lionna HB User

it would be great if the Derms. are right when they say food doesnt affect acne.. sadly, i have proof to the contrary..

my husband got ill and we found out it was celliac, a condition where a person's insides react to 'gluten'(wheat, barley, rye, ALL derivatives including malt, barley malt, oats, etc) as if it were poison. it is very painful.

i decided, this past december, to give it a try. within a week, cysts which were there for the past month, healed. a marked, undeniable difference. i notice, also, if i eat chocolate or white sugar, i get pimples. this past week, i had some coffee with white sugar(i can have one cup per week with no problems if i use honey), some tostitos corn chips aka hydrogenated oil, plus some of my husband's snicker's bar and the next morning i had three HUGE red pimples.. not cysts. thank goddess.

i avoid dairy as of two months ago, and have been vegetarian(no eggs) for six years.

i am still having trouble, but i have my complexion back. i can see my pale beautiful skin with a few imperfections, as opposed to huge cystic clusters, whiteheads, and red painful ones too.

it is a stuggle. i started antibiotic (doxycycline 100mg/day) about 6 weeks ago with mild to moderate improvement. the was a change at the one month mark, so i am hoping for another such change at the two month point.. *crosses fingers*

i am curious about the first person's list. i eat apples and bananas. i also eat rice in some form everyday.

has anyone found it beneficial to eliminate tuna, since it is so high in omega fatty acids i figure it should be a boon to one's condition..?

thanks for reading, good luck to all..!!

Old 06-04-2004, 03:19 PM   #13
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

Pageant,

You never answered the questions I had after I read your previous posts. What were the two medications your dermatologists prescribed you (along with the list) and why did you say you were allergic to dairy products and had very bad (allergic) reactions to pizza and got a breakout from eating yogurt?

Here is the list of foods to avoid to cure acne:

Dairy
    Gluten
    Hydrogenated oils
    heated or cooked or refined oils
    cooked eggs
    denatured or refined grains
    non organic meats (including farm raised fish), luncheon meats, beef and pork
    drugs and medications especially including tylenol, birth control, antibiotics
    alcohol
    cane sugar, refined or denatured sugars especially high fructose corn syrup
    artificial things

Last edited by prometheus; 06-04-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #14
    Legend#14

Legend#14 HB User
    Re: What are *** basic DON'T EAT foods? (Yes I'm an idiot)

I hope Tuna is ok because i eat a LOT ** it

p.s - for some reason it won't let me write O.F

Last edited by Legend#14; 06-04-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:06 PM   #15
    fireball1

fireball1 HB User

Foods don't "cause" acne, but many can indeed make it worse. Dairy, bleached flour, sugar and highly processed foods are culprits. I know that some people insist that diet doesn't matter, but from personal experience, dairy and sugar "does" affect acne.
    When it comes to sugar, I do have some major weaknesses (Barnum's animal crackers, tootsie rolls, frozen yogurt), but the key is: I don't eat these foods a lot.

Closed Thread