It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• ibuprofen for stubborn acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
    Doug905

Doug905 HB User
    ibuprofen for stubborn acne

Lately I've added ibuprofen to my acne regiment and have found it to be surprisingly effective. If you have not had much luck with antibiotics this is something you may want to give a try

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
    Vortex773310
    Veteran
    (male)

Vortex773310 HB User
    Re: ibuprofen for stubborn acne

ibuprofen is good for inflammation pain, that is why it's good for active treatment of scars/inflammation..it's no good for active treatment however.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
    Hamer

Hamer HB User

You might want to talk to your doctor to make sure that taking this on a regular basis is an ok idea for you.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
    lynn82
    (female)

lynn82 HB User

it's true, I took about 9 ibuprofins for a week for another problem i was haveing and my skin looked amazing. The red marks go away too. I found that it works pretty well with around 4 a day, but i don't do this for long periods because i thought that it was not good for your liver. I'm not sure though maybe with a low enough dose it would be ok. I read somewhere that someone sured their acne with 1 a day.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
    lynn82
    (female)

lynn82 HB User

And vortex, the reason it works for acne is because acne basically IS inflammation.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #6
    Beau

Beau HB User

acne is oil. Too much ibuprofen is bad for your liver and can lead to kidney failure.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
    Doug905

Doug905 HB User

Long term Ibuprofen can indeed cause stomach or kidney damage so exercise caution as you should with any drug. People with arthritis and other inflammatory conditions do take it chronically so if you keep an eye out for the warning signs you will be fine.

I'm just amazed by how effective this is though. I've tried every antibiotic, topical and even accutane a couple of times and here was the cure sitting in my medicine cabinet the whole time

Old 06-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
    Crapple67
    Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

How often should you take it?

Old 06-11-2004, 03:25 AM   #9
    acnepains

acnepains HB User
    Cool Re: ibuprofen for stubborn acne

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else had continued success with Ibubrofin? I bought Neurofin (which contains ibuprofin) and have taken 2/3 each days for the last 2 days but its too early to tell.
    My acne is mild enough but gets bad around time of month, however I'm rarely without some spots or bumps under my skin. I've taken accutane twice in the past and it worked beautifully but my acne returned both times - though not as bad as before. I'm also currently using Apple cider vinegar with water- thoough not sure if this is helping or not! I've tried Cetaphil but it made my skin red and rashy looking. I've also started taking Acidofilus in the last few days.

Any replies would be appreciated

Old 06-11-2004, 04:55 AM   #10
    scouselad1974
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

scouselad1974 HB User

Hi,
    I to use ibuprofen when i am desperate to speed up the healing of an inflamed spot,for example as soon as i feel an inflamed spot making it,s way to the surface of the skin i apply a hot water compress soaked in lavender oil to the area for around 20 minutes then apply BP 10% followed by a dab of Hydrocortisone and 2 Ibuprofen before bed,usually i notice alot of improvement the following morning.
    I usually continue the Ibuprofen treatment until the inflamation totally dissapears,usually that,s around 2/3 days for me.
    I always try to take Ibuprofen on a full stomach as this can reduce the side effects,I wouldn,t reccomend taking this on a permanent basis unless your doctor says so,I did read an article in a magazine written by a doctor who said"Anti inflammotry drugs can play a part in the treatment of acne"obviousley he means for inflamed spots and not blackhead type acne.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:13 AM   #11
    epu

epu HB User

How in the world could ibuprofen work with Hyperpigmentation?

Closed Thread