It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• how bad does your acne need to be for a derm to perscribe accutane??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
    whyme14

whyme14 HB User
    how bad does your acne need to be for a derm to perscribe accutane??

i have tried many washes, minocin, biaxin, even pro activ, and many other benzoyl peroxide washes... i was wondering how bad my acne needs to be to get accutance perscribed... and are the effects as bad as the fda and other websites make them out to be... i would like to be done with acne hopefully forever being that it is not that severe... any insight or success stories would be a great help... thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User
    Re: how bad does your acne need to be for a derm to perscribe accutane??

Like you, I had experimented with a wide range of treatments before I decided to request that my dermatoligst prescribe accutane. My skin was not in particularly bad shape at the time, but she assented to my request given the sheer scope of antibiotics and OTC approaches I had already exhausted. Personally, I would not recommend accutane. Though it worked very effectively for me, within 2-3 months of coming off the drug, my skin problems began to resurface, such that I actually agreed to undertake a second course. Much the same happened the second time round, and I understand that the experience of most users is similar. I'm not sure what grade of severity your acne falls into, but I have found that zinc supplements, gentle cleansers (I use Spectro Jel), minimal shaving, and aloe vera/vitamin e cream (I use Nivea) to be a much safer, and for me at least, relatively successful strategy.

Last edited by Tiefer479; 06-11-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
    Hamer

Hamer HB User

You have to have cystic/scarring acne for accutane to be prescribed. The only other way you can get it is if you have tried everything your derm has given you and nothing has worked. Then they can prescribe accutane. This is what my doc told me a while ago.

I personally think that taking zinc is a better option. You could also always try inositol or B5 as well. Accutane has a lot of side effects and should only be a last resort.

Last edited by Hamer; 06-11-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Hey Hamer, good advice. Tell me, I have heard a lot about Inositol - what exactly is it supposed to do for acne? Also, do you have any idea as to whether it's available in Canada?

Old 06-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
    Hamer

Hamer HB User

Yes, you can get it in canada. It is a vitamin and helps with the fats (or oils) in the body. I got mine online at vitaminshoppe, but I haven't tried it yet because the zinc alone is working so well for me. I have been taking 1 or 2 50mg pills a day of zinc.

Amber

Old 06-11-2004, 02:03 PM   #6
    blank

blank HB User

it's just a vitamin. you can get it at any grocery store/vitamin shop.

supposed to help...i can't remember the exact reasoning behind it, but i've heard people on this board that have had success w/ it.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Great - thanks you guys

Old 06-11-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
    Paula57

Paula57 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: how bad does your acne need to be for a derm to perscribe accutane??

I agree with TS and Hamer. Accutane is really only supposed to be used for cystic acne that causes permanent scarring. I always found that frequent gentle washing was better than harsh scrubbing. My dermatologist didn't even want me using a washcloth, much less a Buff Puff. He said to use my hands only, a mild sold like Neutrogena and to lather up and wash my face twice each time. Some people blot their face dry with a paper towel rather than a hand or bath towel. Unless a towel has just been washed and dried in a hot dryer, once it's been used it can harbor bacteria. Obviously that goes for washcloths as well.

A good multi vitamin with plenty of the B vitamins and Vitamin E never hurt anyone. B5 is Pantothenic Acid. I don't usually notice that multi-vitamins or B complex supplements are short on that, but many of them are short on Biotin which is essential for healthy skin and hair, as well as other essential body functions. Fortunately, biotin supplements are pretty cheap.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
    Finch

Finch HB User

My acne was mild to say the least.. but it was persistant, so then my doctor perscribed accutane for me. I had a few cysts.. nothing major, so I guess it doesn't have to be that bad.

Closed Thread