It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• please help me with acne solutions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User
    please help me with acne solutions

hi im a 19/m late bloomer still have acne. ive had it for a few years now, i would say its moderate, but covers my whole face especially my cheeks, and i get the occasionaly evil cyst. i have been doing the murad thing for about 6 months now and i usually dont let my acne bother me, but it has become obvious that although murad helps, its not gonna stop all my breakouts... and it is now time to try something new.

i currently do the murad thing, take 2 centrums a day and drink a lot of water. only other things i have tried in the past are neutrogena face wash,then an astrigent and salycilc related regimen, and then murad. i have very oily and somewhat sensitive skin. i was just wondering what everyone's suggestions would be as to what i should try next because i want to stop using murad. ive read posts for days and from what ive learned, i think i might want to try taking b5 or using benzoyl peroxide or something so let me know if any of you have suggestions or techniques for that in particular.

i hhave never been to a dermatologist and want to try at least something else b4 going thru the hassle and cost of going to a dermatologist. PLEASE HELP, the more advice the better. WHAT SHOULD I TRY NEXT?? anything!

thank you in advance for all your help.
    any questions and i will be back here to answer.

heres to not letting acne win

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 03:28 AM   #2
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User
    Re: please help me with acne solutions

suggestions..... anybody???

Old 06-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
    yahgler

yahgler HB User

I have been battling acne for about 4 years now, and the best I've found so far is Carley's Clear and Smooth. It's a benzoyl peroxide treatment that you can use even if you have skin sensitive to benzoyl peroxide (which I do). I used it for a few months and it got me almost completely clear, but it got lost when I moved out of an apartment, and I've tried all kinds of things that didn't work and now I'm back on it. If you want to try it you can go to www.no-acne.com. This is my best suggestion, and it might be worth a try. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User

anyone else have any success with carleys? i have neve heard of it b4 and the website doesnt really give all that much info.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #5
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User
    Thumbs up Re: please help me with acne solutions

after doing some extensive reading throughout the boards, i have decided to try carley's face wash for a number of reasons, and then combine that with a b5 regimen.

any comments?

im still open to other suggestions

Old 06-15-2004, 07:40 AM   #6
    JW2252

JW2252 HB User

If you're going to do the B5 regimen, make sure you grab biotin and a b-complex. They aren't necessary treatment wise, but your body will thank you for it later.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
    jojo64
    Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

For mild/moderate acne you need to do a few steps which bascially consists of 1) getting rid of dead skincells which clog pores, and 2) get rid of the bacteria that causes acne. So to get rid of the dead skincells use a salycilic acid (BHA) product that you leave on (one that you wash off won't work - it needs to stay on in order to penetrate and clean out the pores). BP will kill the bacteria, and again it needs to stay on. You also need to moisturize (even if you have oily skin) because these products can be drying and that can make your skin produce more oil, which is counterproductive. So you need a moisturizer that won't clog your pores and I suggest jojoba oil. And of course you need to cleanse your skin.

As far as the specific products to use - you will have to try stuff until you find what works best for you. I prefer Paula's Choice products and my skin has cleared up nicely since I've started using them. There is also alot of great info on battling acne on her website. But each persons skin is different so finding the right products for you can be trial and error.

Last edited by jojo64; 06-15-2004 at 11:05 AM.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
    UnRuLy

UnRuLy HB User

have you heard of proactiv? well thats what i use and its great! its contains benzoyl peroxide. after only using it for a week my skin looked great! some say it doesnt work for them but i know a lot of people currently using it and it works great for them too. proactiv also offers you a money back gurantee just incase before i started using proactiv i was using clearsil vanishing lotion ( not the tinted kind)and it is also a really good product the only reason i switched is because in order to prevent pimples you have to use it all over the face and it can be quite drying depending on your skin type but i suggest you try it if you dont want to pay $30 for proactiv! *hope this helps*

LyNdSeY

Old 06-25-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User

alright thanks people, i am still trying to decide what my best option is. i have been busy this summer and havent gotten around to buying anything yet.

my older sister also has acne and has tried proactiv and it didnt work so i kinda thew that out of the picture already.

as of right now im just using the murad facewash, skipping the gel and using the lotion and spot treatment only when really needed.
    only other thing is tea tree oil on spots and multivitamins

still need to get myself a new regimen.

any other ideas or questions are still welcome

Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #10
    jabbathegut

jabbathegut HB User

i tried the murad thing for a while and had the about the same results has you, helped a little, but didnt really do what i wanted it to. I would try B5 with B-complex and biotin. I have been using it for about 3 months now and WOW, it has almost completly cleared me. My face gets maybe 1 or 2 new ones a week at most, my chest is clearing and my back gets large ones only when I work out. I have heard that it takes longer for the back to clear with B5 because of how large the area is or something, but its working sooo good I cant complain. Also, it may take a month or more of large doses(10 grams a day) to see results, mine took a few weeks, everyone is different. Now if I can just get rid of these scars

Old 06-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
    xismybaby
    Veteran
    (female)

xismybaby HB User

hi, you said that you take two centrums a day?? i think that might be part of the problem with your skin...if the centrum you are using has iodine in it you should stop taking them and just take vitamins individually or try to find a multivitamin without iodine because it can aggrivate acne... hope this helps xoxo good luck

Old 06-25-2004, 10:33 AM   #12
    Fury23

Fury23 HB User

I definitely think that my multi-vitamins were breaking me out. I canít be sure just yet because I never just change one thing at a time. Anyway I stopped taking the multi and I stopped breaking out.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:57 PM   #13
    i am a guy
    (male)

i am a guy HB User

yea there are a lot of reasons why i take the multivitamin though.

i know some of you guys are gonna freak out but i eat like a pig, a lot of fast food. I figure i need to get all my vitamins from the centrum so i take it with a couple of my meals. although my acne gets kinda bad sometimes i'd still rather live a normal life then allow the condition on my face to completely dictate my life.

why i have acne...

i am outdoors a lot = sun sun sun (i am a caddy so i work outside) which i heard is bad but i think the color on my face makes the acne less noticeable

bad diet, pretty greasy foods heh

i sweat a lot and for long periods of time (play a lot of casual sports outside)

not a lot of sleep (i wake up at 7am everyday to caddy)

i never have a set regimen, i just usually go with whatever is working best at the time or feels the best but i basically never know what is working.

so as you can see i have many factors here, and yes there have been weeks that ive gone without the vitamins and never notice a difference with anything in my body.

i am still looking for the perfect solution to my problem. something fairly easy and not restrictive but can still get rid of cysts (i have 2 growing right now)
    Question: i call them cysts but if they end up having a lot of pus inside them does that just make them big pimples? but they do start under the skin and take about 2 weeks to completely go away. they also hurt a lot especially if its on the chin or somewhere where the skin has to stretch.

ok enough rambling... i should make more seperate posts but oh well.
    thanks for the advice on the vitamins, but what multivitamin does everyone recommend? looks like i'll be making another search thru the boards.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:36 AM   #14
    beam

beam HB User

when i broke out i was shock that my face look nasty and ugly so i gave pro active a try and it didn't help me at all so i decided to go to the dermatologist and they gave me medication. but there is alot of product out there and it hard to pick which one that work because not all of them are made for everybody. if you find one that work for you really good then i suggest you stick with it instead of switching product after product.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:33 AM   #15
    avron
    (male)

avron HB User

i_am_a_guy,
    cysts last more than 2 weeks, they rarely come to a head, always red and REALLY painful and almost have no certain shape. What you're having could be pustules(inflammed whiteheads)

Anyway back to the original post...
    The B5 does nothing to acne, it however does affect your body's oils, it makes your body produce less oil. so you won't be seeing any results with b5 until like 8weeks.

Closed Thread