It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 1 year later...accutane round 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
    MsPeace
    (female)

MsPeace HB User
    1 year later...accutane round 2

Hey everyone, I was around these boards about a year and a half ago when I went though my first course of accutane (40mg a day for 5 months Jan-June) It cleared me up completely and people often complemented me on my "baby skin." Life was beautiful!

I was scared to death that the acne would come back and unforunately, it did >cringe< The acne began to resurface so I started taking spiro for a while, which worked well but I had some side effects so I eventually quit taking it and before long the acne returned again >hiss<

I'm now on my first month of my second course of acctuane. I was on 20 mg and until today and I've bumped up to 40mg. I'm starting to dry out and all the acctuane aches and pains are coming back ...along with the all too familiar, "What's going on with your skin again? It used to be so nice!" comments. Yeah....thanks.

I've always suspected that I may have hormone imbalance and still believe my acne is linked to this. I have a variety of other symptoms that lead me to beleive that this may be the case so I've spent a good amount of time reading up on synthetic/natural hormones and acne.

My thyriod has been tested twice with normal results; however, other hormone imbalances can mimic thyroid dysfunction so I'll be testing my hormone levels next month.

What works best for me on acctuane:

-moisturizing purpose face wash morning/night
    -mineral make-up (love this stuff)
    -drinking obscene amounts of H20
    -moisturize with jojoba oil 2x a day
    -burts bees chapstick or vitamin E oil for dry lips

Feel free to ask any questions. Hang in there everyone, a clear day in somewhere in our future! -Ms Peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
    mman

mman HB User
    Re: 1 year later...accutane round 2

How long into your first treatment was it until you were clear?? I am nearing the end of my treament and I cleared up from the beginning but I'm starting to breakout again.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
    reeny

reeny HB User
    Talking Re: 1 year later...accutane round 2

Mineral makeup - what have you tried? (foundation, powder, ...) Thanks.
    By the way, I tried accutane and it cleared my skin, but 6 months later the acne returned. I would not EVER take it again. Too many side effects. Too dangerous. Good luck-

Old 06-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
    idealist1976
    Inactive

idealist1976 HB User

mspeace,

sorry to hear your acne has returned. if you are having strange symptoms i would definitely stop the accutane. i know it's hard to give up the quick remedy to clear skin. i went on two courses of accutane and then the acne came back worse than ever before. i recently posted a thread about how i regret taking accutane (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=183649) please read it. good luck.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
    MsPeace
    (female)

MsPeace HB User

Hey guys,

As for the mineral make-up, I've tried quite a few brands and I have found these the most effective:

Jane Iredale: camoflauge concealor (covers well, water resistant, costs about 20 bucks but lasts a while)

Bare essentual powder is just as good as the other mineral powders but it is a lot cheaper so I use this one over the concealer.

I also like Illuminare liquid concealer. It's expensive but it covers really really well so I buy this brand when I can afford to.

None of these break me out. I apply jojoba oil before application and I use a rice powder on top. It all blends into the skin and looks natural. I love the stuff.

During my first course of accutane I cleared up in about three/four weeks. It was amazing but after I ended the treatment the acne returned in about 6 months. After this course, I certainly won't take accutane again if the acne returns....sigh. Hopefully my hormones will have settled down by then. I don't have many side effects except the awful dry lips and slight aches and pains.

Right now I think I'm having the intial breakout. I'm still within the first month but I'm on a lower dose than the first time. At this point the left side of my face has about 7 HUGE inflamed zits and the right side is totally clear. All I can do is laugh because if I don't I'll end up crying. The best part is that my EX is coming to visit tonight and although we are still good friends he has not seen me since I had really clear skin so this might be a bit of a shocker for him. Geeeeeez, I'm going wait in the dark.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
    senoflys
    (male)

senoflys HB User

hey i am sorry to hear about your skuin...i know just how u feel...but i am a guy. I also think that mine is a hormonla thing,,i think maybe i prodcue too much testosterone...what are the symptoms u have that make u think this...or will they be totally diff for a girl...do u always feel pretty out of energy?

Old 06-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
    MsPeace
    (female)

MsPeace HB User

Senoflys,

I think hormone imbalances for males and females produce different symptoms but it also depends on which hormone is being over or under produced. I've heard of people who produce too much androgen often develop acne. In my case I think it's excess estrogen or androgens. But yes, I certianly feel very very run down most of the time. I ordered a hormone test and I can't wait to see the results because I'm almost sure it will give me some answers and then I can balance myself out so I never have to take accutane again. woohoo!

Old 06-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
    DiselPower4
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

DiselPower4 HB User

How are you going to balance your hormones out?

Old 06-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
    reeny

reeny HB User
    Arrow Re: 1 year later...accutane round 2

Hormone test? How is that done? Is it covered by insurance? Thanks.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #10
    MsPeace
    (female)

MsPeace HB User

I figured that once I know what my hormones levels are I can figured out which ones need balancing. I suspected that I had excess estrogen and doctors suggested birth control to balance out the mones. However, my symptoms always became worse on birth control. I think I was on hormone overload already and adding more just made things way worse. I decided to use natural USP progesterone cream. This noticably helped balance my hormones but I have stopped using it so it doesn't effect the hormone tests and I can find out exactly what my natural hormone level is.

You can have your hormone levels tested at the doctor's office. I chose to order a test off the internet as I've moved to a new area and I don't have a doctor yet. They make separate tests for males and females. You take your own saliva samples during certain days of the month and send them in to the lab and then they send your results to you. I'm going to guess I have high testosterone or estrogen....we'll see.

Update on the accutane....The 7 zits the size of Jupiter I had on the left side of my face are drying up quickly. WooHoo!!!!! -Ms Peace

Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
    jodi924

jodi924 HB User

Ms. Peace,
    I'm going to the derm tomorrow and I'm seriously contemplating a low dosage of accutane. Last time I was there, he had suggested it, but I tried the spiro route instead. Unfortunately that was not successful. Anyways..what dose of accutane are you taking? What did you take last round? Those 6 months when you were clear...did you do anything to keep up clear skin maitanence? A part of me thinks..if I can just clear my skin...then I can start fresh with diet, vitamins, etc....it's probably just wishful thinking. I was really againist going on accutane..but unfortunately it's become a last resort. I can't keep feeling disgusted with my skin...and myself. Right now it's period week for me, so my face looks like a war zone.

Old 06-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #12
    MsPeace
    (female)

MsPeace HB User

Hey Jodi,

I hear you on the pms zit convention. I get huge ones on my jawline the week before my period, which only add to the collection of zits I have already. I look like my face got attacked by the weedwacker. What happened with spiro? Did it not clear you up or did you have side effects? I took it for a little while but it seemed amplify my hormonal imbalance symptoms so I quit, plus I didn't realize what other side effects it has until I read into it more.

As for my first course of accutane I took a total of 40 mg per day, 20 mg in the AM and 20 in the PM. I was pretty much completely clear for the last 3 months of treatment and eventually my skin was flawless. It was amazing. When the accutane treatment ended I tried to maintain my clear skin by continuing to take vitamins, drinking lots of water and eating well...but I had always done that even when I had acne so I don't think it had much effect on my skin. I also started using glycolic acid face wash to exfoliate, which worked really well.

This time around I started at 20 mg once a day and I noticed that the side effects were not as apparent as they were when I started at 40 the last round. I bumped up to 40mg yesterday and already I notice that my skin is drier.

I understand your dilemma regarding accutane. I also feel like I'm just using accutane to clear my skin in order to "buy some time" so I can figure out the hormone imbalance and hopefully fix it so the acne will go away. I really don't believe accutane will cure my acne problem permanently. The thing I'm most concerned about is acne scarring. I decided to take accutane the first time not only because my face was a wreck, (I could have dealt with it for a while) but the long-term scars that the acne left behind. Those scars are very difficult to get rid of (not to mention expensive!)

I have to admit that for the short time my skin was clear I felt so good about myself and it felt incredible not having to re-apply make-up every 2 secs or feel disgusting when I looked in the mirror, or hide from florescent lights, or cancel social plans because I was too embarassed about my skin, or cry all night after hearing comments like, "What happened to your face?

Anyway, good luck with your decision, let me know what you decide! -Ms Peace

Closed Thread