It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Differin and initial breakout?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
    ladybr

ladybr HB User
    Differin and initial breakout?

I went to the derm today, and she prescribed differin cream. She suggested that I apply a little bit of it every other night to prevent dryness. Should I expect an initial break-out with this? Right now, I have mild acne, caused by my switch from the "real" Ortho bcp to the "generic" (I'm switching back to the real thing in my next cycle). I'm also on 100mg of spiro.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
    reeny

reeny HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Differin and initial breakout?

Predicting outbreaks is impossible as everyone reacts differently to treatments. However, try it as she recommended "every other night". Every night may cause problems. You personally have to adjust application according to how YOUR SKIN reacts.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Re: Differin and initial breakout?

Im on differin gel everynight.Been on it for 10 days so far,my skin is nottttttttt looking good.Matter fact its the worse its been in yrs.But im going to stick with it.Done research and it says it sometimes takes 8 to 12 wks for improvement.Also there might be a flareup before it gets better.So im going to give it the whole 12 wks before i ask the derm for a change to something else.Hope you're going to be one of the lucky ones to not get an initial breakout.Take care.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
    ladybr

ladybr HB User

Thanks for your support, reeny and suzyshop. suzyshop, can I ask what kind of acne you have? Has the type of acne you have changed ever since you've gone on differin?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Ladybr i have acne mostly on my chin,they are the kind that turn really red and swell up.It takes at least a few wks to months for it to disappear completely.Usually bout the time ones going away another pops out.Since being on the differin i have more cystic pimples.Where i used to get 1 or 2 every couple months ,i now have 5,the swelling has gone down on all 5 and now they all have scabs on them.I did have other ones awhile back but they healed rather nicely except for the red spots.Im commited to going thru with this till i see improvement.I know its still early to see a big improvement but im willing to wait.I have a derm appt the 2nd of july ,so we'll see what the derm has to say.Seems like most every topical acne treatment ,ppl go thru an intiail breakout before seeing improvement.I wonder about the ppl who claim that they used it and it didnt work for them.Maybe they didnt use it long enough ,or they got turned off by it because of the initial breakout.I get the worse kind of acne you can get ,the cystic kind.If it does work for me ,it will make me wonder about those who claimed to have used it and it didnt work for them.I am also on an antibiotic called doxycycline.As of this moment i dont see any new ones and when i touch my face im not feeling sore anywhere.Hopefully i might be getting past the initial breakout.I know one thing ,you have to be patient and do the treatment exactly like the derm says,before you can say it doesnt work.I know alot of ppl are in a rush to get rid of acne,but i am willing to wait to see if it works for me.I put a thin layer of the differin gel on every night before i go to bed after washing my face.So we'll see.I'll keep reporting in from time to time to let everyone know how its going.Hope you will do the same.Take care.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:04 AM   #6
    ladybr

ladybr HB User

Suzyshop,

Thank you so much for your long message and encouragement. I definitely think you're doing the right thing by not giving up right now-- we all need a little patience. Please do keep us informed, and I will, too.

Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Your most welcome ladybr.Well its like 11 days so far on differin gel, no new breakouts.The scabs are coming off but leaving red spots,i can always cover them with concealer.Now we'll just wait to see if any new ones pop out.Ive got like 2 left now with scabs on them .Keep your fingers and toes crossed.I'll report in every wk how its going .Take care.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #8
    ladybr

ladybr HB User

I'll definitely keep fingers and toes crossed for you, Suzyshop. And please do the same for me--I just started the differin last night. So far, my face burns a little and is slightly more red than usual. We'll see what happens.

My thoughts are with you!

Old 06-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Ladybr you must have extremely sensitive skin for it to burn you some.Im using a salicyclic 2% wash before i put the differin on and i dont have any burning at all.Dont be surprised if you start to breakout.What i have noticed is that when i do breakout it happens quicker to heal up.Right now im pretty pleased with what im seeing .But im more interested in seeing will it control my breakouts.The rest of my scabs peeled off. 1 new zit popped up but it was one of the small ones,it didnt swell up like they usually do.So right now i have i small active pimple.We'll see how the differrin handles it.I know how frustrating acne can be ,so good luck with it.Take care.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Oops meant 1 small active pimple.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:11 PM   #11
    ladybr

ladybr HB User

Hi Suzyshop,

I have extremely sensitive skin--I feel that it can get inflamed if you just look at it wrong! That's why my derm told me to wear the cream only every other night for the first month. So, tonight, I'm free--hurrah! I am, however, expecting something of a breakout. Which is really depressing--I get so stressed out when it happens. But your good progress (fingers crossed) and strength is giving me hope. Hang in there!

Old 07-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #12
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Smile Re: Differin and initial breakout?

Hey guys its meeeeeeeeeeee.Im happy to say my face has no new zits now.Been 5 days since i had a new one,and it disappeared in 2 days.Right now i been trying to go out as much as possible in case i revert back to my old face.I am one happy camper,now i'll be able to go out and swim in a pool and go to the beach without being embarrassed.Hope you guys are doing well.Be patient.You know i could get used to waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror at my face ,without going ughhhhhhh.Im so happy ,i went out last night to the movies without stressing about how my face was going to look.The red spots i have left are fading,and hopefully will stay away.The derm told me that she thinks my acne is connected to my menstural cycle,since it really flares bad then.Soon i will be on the antibiotics every other day and then taper off.Right now im thrilled for at least this small amount of time that i feel like i look like a human being again.Soon it will be that time of the month ,so that will be the test for me if this treatment will continue to work.Im sending good thoughts and well wishs to those who are reading our post.Hang in there guys give it a good go.I'll report in at the end of the wk.I'll still be monitoring the boards to see how you guys are coming along .Take care.

Old 07-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #13
    keisha122

keisha122 HB User

hey, just wanted to add my thought. differin cream is the best thing that ever happened to me. its 100% great when it comes to acne.. ive been using it for a year or so now its the bomb!!

Old 07-06-2004, 01:00 PM   #14
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Keisha i'll let you know at the end of the month wether its the bomb for me too.I figure about in a month i'll know wether its going to continue to work for me.Especially when that time of the month hits.i dont have any zits on my face now just spots.My acnes clearing up pretty fast little over 20 days now.Im glad that it worked well for you.What kind of acne did you have,mild,moderate of severe?Now if i can just get rid of those danged spots.Thank for your input.Take care.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #15
    shawngt2

shawngt2 HB User

Right On!!! Glad it's going good. I've been noticing my face is finally getting better too!!! I'm not at the point yet of not wearing my hat due to last weeks outbreak on forehead, which I never hardly break out there. So, I'm convinced that this is working for me. When I look close up in the mirror my pores are visibly very much cleaner. Since beginning treatment 19 days ago I went through hell and back. But, looks like it did it's job. One other thing suzyshop, I would recommend... If your 'time of the month' comes and you break out. Don't stop Differin treatment. Remember it takes up to 3 months to completely work all the previous unseen lesions you had and your cycle may just be activating (pushing) the last ones out. It's funny how you read everyones posts and they list that differin and all the retinoids didn't work for them. I wonder if they used it properly for minimum 3 mos. before making that accusation?

Anyhow, keep on truckin'

Shawn

Closed Thread