It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• does anyone ever think that if we stopped...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User
    does anyone ever think that if we stopped...

washing our faces all the time and applying countless chemicals that our skin might actually repair itself ? whenever i say to people "what if you didn't wash your face for a while", they immediately detest that statement. but i found once, when i didn't wash my face for a week (yes a week!!) my skin was as clear as it's ever been. by leaving the oil naturally produced by my skin, it seemed to heal and repair itself much faster and reduced the occurrence of new spots. of course all of these companies are telling us to wash our skin twice a day and doctors are prescribing us countless medications...but i'm of the opinion that we're all human guinea pigs anyway and we're just testing material. obviously this has to be done to find cures, but i think i can speak for a lot of people when i say, i don't wanna suffer anyone. when i was at school (and didn't have acne) i had perfect skin, not one blemish and you know i hardly washed (i'm not ashamed to say and i didn't smell!!!!!!!!!!). i don't recall using any products; i didn't even know what acne was. obviously thing's have changed now since i started paying more attention to my face and using countless products to repair the damage that acne caused. i'm just getting tired of this condition now, along with everyone else. i vow this week to leave my face alone, not wash it or apply any of this crap that we apparently need and allow my body to repair itself. we weren't born with acne so surely we don't need all of these chemicals now. i read a book recently about the subconscious mind (sounds wacko, but desperate times call for desperate measures!!!!). it talks about how the body can cure all of our illnesses on it's own. if we keep telling ourselves that our skin looks bad, that we have new spots on our face, that we look a wreck our body believes all of this to be true. it's all about the messages we send ourselves. if we re-programmed ourselves to believe that our skin is completely clear and healthy and believe it completely our body will go about making the changes. it sounds mad, even to me, but some of it makes sense. obviously doctors diagnose what the condition is, but we go about repairing it. i know everyone will have conflicting views on this and i don't wanna argue...just help people...! will keep you updated on my progress

laters ppl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
    Shy One
    (female)

Shy One HB User
    Re: does anyone ever think that if we stopped...

I can't just stop washing my face or else i'll break out. But I do believe the last part of your post in a way. I always thought about that. I think one of the main things with me is stress. I stress a lot about my skin so I believe in return my skin gets worse. I know when I was with my boyfriend was one of the happiest times of my life and my skin was almost clear then.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shy One
    I can't just stop washing my face or else i'll break out. But I do believe the last part of your post in a way. I always thought about that. I think one of the main things with me is stress. I stress a lot about my skin so I believe in return my skin gets worse. I know when I was with my boyfriend was one of the happiest times of my life and my skin was almost clear then.
    I totally respect your post, but do you see what I'm saying about the messages you send yourself when you say:I can't just stop washing my face or else i'll break out. You've already convinced yourself (through no fault of your own) that your gonna break-out if you don't wash your face.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
    Shy One
    (female)

Shy One HB User

I do understand what you're saying. I definetly believe the mind can play a big role. It could possibly work for me if I didn't wear war paint in order to cover up all of this mess. But since I wear makeup I have to wash my face.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
    wizzii

wizzii HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ric
    washing our faces all the time and applying countless chemicals that our skin might actually repair itself ? whenever i say to people "what if you didn't wash your face for a while", they immediately detest that statement. but i found once, when i didn't wash my face for a week (yes a week!!) my skin was as clear as it's ever been. by leaving the oil naturally produced by my skin, it seemed to heal and repair itself much faster and reduced the occurrence of new spots. of course all of these companies are telling us to wash our skin twice a day and doctors are prescribing us countless medications...but i'm of the opinion that we're all human guinea pigs anyway and we're just testing material. obviously this has to be done to find cures, but i think i can speak for a lot of people when i say, i don't wanna suffer anyone. when i was at school (and didn't have acne) i had perfect skin, not one blemish and you know i hardly washed (i'm not ashamed to say and i didn't smell!!!!!!!!!!). i don't recall using any products; i didn't even know what acne was. obviously thing's have changed now since i started paying more attention to my face and using countless products to repair the damage that acne caused. i'm just getting tired of this condition now, along with everyone else. i vow this week to leave my face alone, not wash it or apply any of this crap that we apparently need and allow my body to repair itself. we weren't born with acne so surely we don't need all of these chemicals now. i read a book recently about the subconscious mind (sounds wacko, but desperate times call for desperate measures!!!!). it talks about how the body can cure all of our illnesses on it's own. if we keep telling ourselves that our skin looks bad, that we have new spots on our face, that we look a wreck our body believes all of this to be true. it's all about the messages we send ourselves. if we re-programmed ourselves to believe that our skin is completely clear and healthy and believe it completely our body will go about making the changes. it sounds mad, even to me, but some of it makes sense. obviously doctors diagnose what the condition is, but we go about repairing it. i know everyone will have conflicting views on this and i don't wanna argue...just help people...! will keep you updated on my progress

laters ppl
    I have to wash my face....otherwise I feel dirty and yuck...but I may try ur no face washing thing sometime....hopefully it works...so does this mean ur never going to wash ur face?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I believe that if we all didn't put so many topicals and the like on our faces, we'd probably be better off in the long run. I spent years and years (and probably thousands of dollars) on products that only ended up irritating my skin and making it worse. To try and undo what one product did, I'd use another. The cycle is endless and I obviously did more harm than good.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
    Green1
    (male)

Green1 HB User

Might be, but all I know is that I tried cleaning my face with just water and witch hazel for two days and I broke out bad. I did stop taking Ery 2% Pads in the morning and my face hasn't been breaking out as much.

Old 06-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #8
    lanena64124

lanena64124 HB User
    Talking Re: does anyone ever think that if we stopped...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizzii
    I have to wash my face....otherwise I feel dirty and yuck...but I may try ur no face washing thing sometime....hopefully it works...so does this mean ur never going to wash ur face?

You know this happens to me too I 've noticed that if I don't wash my face that often it will clear up I do wash my face but maybe once an day with a face soap and that'll do the trick you'll start to see a real difrence on your face try to wash only 1 time a day and don't scrub bye! :wave:

Old 06-29-2004, 02:55 AM   #9
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

sorry for the late response people, but only have access to the web during working hours and on u.k. time!!!! right, where do i start ?? o.k. if you don't believe something 100% then in my opinion it won't work. i.e., if you say to yourself that your not going to wash your face for x amount of days and you follow this through, but secretly at the back of your mind your saying..."my face is going to be totally screwed" and your checking yourself in the mirror with every available minute...then this won't work. however, if you truly believe that this regime will work with every ounce of your being and don't allow any negative thought's to enter your head, i think it would. the body is capable of healing itself. when you cut yourself or bruise yourself...does your skin heal itself ?? you believe that eventually it will heal...so it does. 80% of our mind is our subconscious mind (look it up)- subjective, and the remaining 20% is our conscious mind- objective. take into consideration that our subconscious mind cannot argue with our conscious mind. so if your reminding your conscious mind all day that your skins a mess and your totally self-conscious of your acne (like most acne sufferers)...then your subconscious takes this as gospel and goes about making it happen. through research i've found that the mind is a powerful thing and plays a massive role in all our medical problems. like if you went to see the doctor and they said you had some life threatening disease (god forbid)...you would then convince yourself that your seriously ill and your body will go about producing the symptoms. now if you rejected the doctors medical diagnosis as crap and believed you was 100% healthy...your body wouldn't go about producing the relevant symptoms because you BELIEVE that your healthy!!! this does sound really far-fetched, even for me...but even i have to admit that it does kind of make sense...

day 1:

i never washed my face yesterday. woke up this morning, redness has significantly reduced. two active spots. one on lip and one between the bridge of nose. not sore, slightly red. no white head. before i went to sleep last night...waited till i was in a sleepy state (when the subconscious is most receptive) and told myself that my acne was cured and i had pure healthy clear skin. believed this 100%. haven't picked spots. believe that they will disappear. not looking in the mirror (because why cause unnecessary stress...what can i do about it???). will keep you updated.

later and keep your chin up!!

Old 06-29-2004, 11:56 PM   #10
    msmars5188
    (female)

msmars5188 HB User

Your subconcious mind is a very powerful thing. If you believe something will happen, your mind will go about and you willl unknowingly make it happen. By saying, "if i dont put this, this, and this on my face 3 times a day, my face will break out so bad that people will mistake my skin for a mountain range," you are just causing more stress to yourself and negatively effecting your self-esteem, thus causing your body to produce more of the necessary "ingredients" to cause acne. Getting yourself into a positive frame-of-mind is the first step to "solving" your acne problems. If you **believe** that your face isnt a disaster area and that your body will eventually "heal" itself, then it will. Our natural immune system is effected by stress, lack of sleep, nutrition, and environment. If we work to correct the problems in these areas(ie: getting the correct amount of sleep, and yes you CAN get too much sleep) your body will be able to fight your ailments better, and your acne will "surender" to your body.

Sorry for the lecture, but I'm a psychology addict, so this thread was right up my ally. I'm actually going to add "positive reinforcement" to my daily regimine and im considering not washing my face for a week and seeing if i have any positive results. I'm still thinking about that one though because im a clean freak, germ-a-phobe, neat freak, female version of Monk(guy from a tv show), whatever you want to call it i just dont like the thought of being unclean or touching anything unclean for that matter(ever thought about the little door in gumball machines where the gumball comes out... think about how many little kid's nasty, sweaty, dirty hands have touched that thing!). Yeah, i know, i have a bit of a problem, but if you just believe that your body will "cure" your acne, then it will.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:23 AM   #11
    Accutane Dude
    Veteran
    (male)

Accutane Dude HB User

Very interesting thread and I must add a few things. First off, I truly believe that last summer when I was really happy, although on accutane which was probably the main reason I didn't break out, I just truly believed I wouldn't get a zit. I woke up every morning telling myself, there is no way I have a zit, it's not possible, and surely enough, this was the case after i reinforced it to myself. One of the worst things I did over these last 3 weeks of hell for me was run away from my problems and just stay and crash wherever I could. Although i did constantly maintain my face (never touch it, follow all directions, etc) my acne got worse, and worse. But when I finally said ****** it and got this cream which I truly believed in my mind would help from my derm, my acne started clearing up big time. Now it's looking very good to what it was 2-3 weeks ago and I am continuing to get excited, because I know it will get better and better. Since I am about 3 and a half months into accutane and in the homestretch so to speak.

Now, with regards to not washing your face, I have heard a few people mention this and have VERY good results. I read a thread once where a person said he stopped washing his face and body and his acne cleared up. I have one thing to say about this, I DO NOT wash my body (only my special places heh), I shampoo and use only the shampoo to wash myself, I do not smell, and I practically never get a pimple on my body, my body is just absolutely perfect complexion, however, my face is horrible... coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 AM   #12
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Accutane Dude- I totally agree with your post. Think of how much attention we are paying to our face, I can't speak for everyone, but I remember at one point I was totally over-washing it, believeing that it was dirty- it must have been to have spots right ?...at least that's what I told myself.

Day 2:

Still haven't washed my face. Woke up this morning with NO redness. Spot that was by my lip yesterday has formed a whitehead and looks like it's drying up. Spot in between the bridge of my nose has remained inactive. Complexion looks quite healthy today...and funnily enough it's not greasy...which is a relief!! Before I went to sleep last night I repeated the following to myself (in my head of course!!):

My acne is completely cured. I have clear, healthy, glowing skin all over my body. I am completely healthy. I am gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course there is some truth in that, but hey!!! Why not boost your confidence at the same time!!!

Laters

Old 06-30-2004, 05:51 AM   #13
    euro18

euro18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Accutane Dude
    I do not smell, and I practically never get a pimple on my body, my body is just absolutely perfect complexion, however, my face is horrible... coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
    Yeah, the reason acne is much mroe prevalent on the fact than on your body is because there are many more sebaceous glands on your face.

Ric:

You said without washing your face your redness has calmed down. How about just washing it with water and nothing else - that's what I do and that seems to work.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:22 AM   #14
    Ric
    (male)

Ric HB User

Euro18- I tried washing my face with water for a while and to be honest I never saw a significant improvement. I look at it this way...would we all make sure that we washed our arms or legs before going to bed ?? Would it really be that important...? I guess not. We seem to treat our face completely different from every other part of our body. We believe that if we don't wash our skin, that we're either gonna wake up the next day with a fresh outbreak of spots...or we're just dirty. And why do we think like that ? I could understand if you just splashed yourself in the face with dirt, of course you would have to clean yourself...but if it's o.k., why are we messing with it ? Reaching late afternoon here in the U.K. and my skin is looking good. I have a few blackheads on my nose and I swear that there turning white, like dead skin and peeling off. It's really weird. I've had nothing but postive results thus far so I will continue to keep the faith in allowing my skin to heal itself.

Laters people

Closed Thread