It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• accutane and hives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
    milkshake

milkshake HB User
    accutane and hives

I;ve been on a low dose of accutane for the past 20 days. Then all of a sudden I broke out in terrible hives and had bad stomach pains. I went off the accutane.

I also started eating a lot of nuts the same week I had the attack from the hives.

Does anyone know if the combo reacts adversely?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 08:11 PM   #2
    wazzup
    (female)

wazzup HB User
    Cool Re: accutane and hives

Hi Milkshake. I was also on Accutane several years ago. It did help while I was on it and for ahwile afterwards as well. It temporarily stopped the production of oil, and eventually (after a HORRIFIC initial breakout) stopped the manifestation of those painful, huge cysts. Now, several years later, some of the oil has returned, and I still breakout, sometimes with cysts, but not as many or as much. All in all, I don't think I would use Accuatane again, as it wasn't worth all of the side effects, including horrible dryness, headaches, and as I mentioned before, a BAD initial breakout. Another one of my side effects, just like you mentioned, were hives. I would often get these itchy, red blotches, that would come and go as they pleased. Until this day, I get hives, but not as often, on my face and body. I also believe that Accutane, due to its harshness, has caused me to develop very sensitive skin, rosacea, and exzema. For anyone thnking to go on a first or another course of Accutane, please reconsider. If I (G-d forbid) ever have to use that medicine again, I will try as hard as I can to avoid that situation, and use a more holistic approach. Good luck to all with your battle with ace. One day, there will be a cure!

Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
    milkshake

milkshake HB User
    Re: accutane and hives

Hi wazzup,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I have the awful hives now as we speak. The doctors of course have no clue what it's from. And the other night I had such severe stomach pains and chest pains along with my hives that my doctor told me to go to the emergency room. The emergency room doctor told me that he thought it was unlikely that it was the accutane.

I was only on a 10 mg per day dose and it actually really cleared up my breakout, but I really think I've got to stop now becaue of this reaction. Do you think it means it's toxic to my body and that I have to stop? I don't know what to do next because as I'm sure you know, I've tried everything under the sun. If there's a holistic thing someone knows about, please let me know.

Tiarra

Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #4
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

Hello Milkshake! I am sorry to read about your hives reaction but I will try and help you find out what has caused this reaction.

When I was a child (around 6 or 7 yrs old) I suffered from Urticaria (the medical terminology for Hives) however it was very very mild. I would experience at the most, maybe one or two outbreaks of hives every 4 weeks or so. These outbreaks were on the whole related to food/drink. I eventually cut out these problem-causing foods and the urticaria seemed to have been successfully suppressed around my early teens, however I did still continue to experience very occasional reactions.

Throughout my teens I developed acne and it got considerably worse as I got older. During this period, doctors/dermatologists prescribed me antibiotic medications in the form of creams, lotions and tablets. I, of course, took them while not really being explained their FULL side-effects. From my late teens to my early twenties, both my acne AND my hives became terrible. My hives breakout were virtually everyday and there were times when they weren't even food related.

Now I am almost 23 and seem to be regaining some control over both my acne and hives. I have thrown out all skin medications and haven't used antibiotics for over a year now. So when you say you are experiencing hive breakouts and are taking accutane it does not surprise me.

If you go to a dermatologists, they will say don't worry the hives are not from the antibiotics because it is their job to get rid of your acne. If, however, you go to a allergist, they will tell you that the antibiotics have probably upset the balance of good bacteria to bad bacteria ratio i.e. the intestinal flora increasing your likelihood of developing these types of hive outbreaks. Another thing to note is, like acne, hives can be multi-factoral i.e. there may be many influencing factors to what is causing you to break out. For example, you mentioned you were eating nuts. Well nuts can cause allergy reactions in alot of people. They are in the top 10 food allergens along side dairy, eggs, kiwi.

If I were you, I would stop the antibiotics completely and go completely natural. The sooner you stop, the more likely you are to cure your hives. In my opinion, it will take me at least another 6 months to fully rebuild my intestinal flora, strengthen my system and completely wipe out my skin reactions: acne and hives.

If you do want to follow the natural route, which I do definitely recommend aswell as many other posters on these boards, then just search through some of the diet posts on here. You could also think about doing a few cleanses.

One last thing, I can tell you from experience, seeing doctors about hives is not too useful as they don't consider it life threatening. Your only alternative would be to take anti-histamines to reduce the outbreaks. But these are only band-aids which hide the real problem and do not address it directly. You did mention you experienced chest and stomach pains. I'm not sure about chest pains, but I experienced ALOT of stomach pain side-effects when taking anti-biotics.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
    milkshake

milkshake HB User

thank you so much!!! I was actually not on antibiotics, but I was on accutane. I do believe that the accutane caused the hives and I've stopped taking it though the hives aren't gone. I hope this doesn't mean I'll keep getting them now. I will search the boards for diet as well. If anyone has any holistic diets or remedies that worked, please share!!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
    Neca
    Veteran

Neca HB User

I should have said acne-prescribed pills rather than just antibiotics as the majority of them have a detrimental effect on your body especially your liver. Accutane is the most potent. It is not impossible but unlikely that your hives will immediately go away since stopping the Accutane as you need to re-balance your intestinal flora. This can be helped by modifying your diet and taking good quality refrigerated probiotics.

Milkshake is this the first time you have ever had a hives breakout? Are you sure you are not allergic to nuts? Maybe you have recently developed an allergy to nuts. Give it a few weeks and take note of your breakouts.

I'm glad to hear you quit Accutane. I have obtained far better results from natural remedies than any prescription drugs/steroids or creams.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
    milkshake

milkshake HB User

Thanks Neca. Yes, this is my first experience with hives. I spoke to my derm today who was away on vacation who doesn't think it was the accutane. Suggested I wait a full week after the hives are gone and take one pill to see if it was that.

Maybe it was the nuts, but it's weird because it would have come on out of nowhere. I just started eating more nuts lately as part of a diet. It's a total mystery to me what it could be. If you have any specific foods or remedies that you like, let me know and thanks again for you help!!!!

Closed Thread