It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• TCA chemical peel help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User
    TCA chemical peel help!

Could someone please tell me what a TCA chemical peel is like? Are you under any sedation during the procedure, and how bad is it afterwards. Also what were you results after?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User
    Re: TCA chemical peel help!

Anyone have ne thing!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
    Valka

Valka HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnsmith007
    Anyone have ne thing!!!
    IT IS like a chemical peel, it does not hurt, you will be peeling and it is depending on the percentage of the acids in the peel......

i had it done several times and it was helpfull to my acne but it was kind of pricey....

Old 08-20-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
    sakara33
    Inactive
    (female)

sakara33 HB User

From what I understand from the doctors office the TCA peel is somewhat similar to the jessner peel, but it goes alittle deeper....I had it done today (jessner) and my skin is sensitive so I go only do the light peel first they could only apply 3 coats to my face....I was pretty red afterward but it was not shock because I expected it....and I will tell you if you have skin like my sensitive then it does feel like someone put gasoline on your face and lights a match...but it doesn't last for long.....if I can take it, (I have a high pain tolerance) but afterwards about 15 minutes afterwards you just feel alot of warmth.....and by that evening it goes away...I wouldn't go anywhere else then to a doctors office to have this done because if something goes wrong....then they have the meds there to help you plus doctors and nurses to know what to do. I done mine for hyperpigmentation....dark spots and like I said this is my first day and by 6:00 this evening the doctor told me that the dark spots would get darker.....because the peel was bringing them to the top and I would start peeling by tomorrow or the next day....can wait to the see the results.....seriously thinking of making a website to post my before and after pictures....but yes tonight I look kinda scary but in due time I honestly think that the results I will love....the doctor told me I might have to have 1 more treatment but we will see the results for this one.....anyway if you have any questions just leave it here....
    Thanks

Old 08-20-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
    sakara33
    Inactive
    (female)

sakara33 HB User

I will call my doctor and find out what the percent was on what they used...and then look into to this further. Thanks for the info .......but actually I feel alittle more confrotable doing it at a doctors office because if you have some type of really bad reactions then I am already there....but again will look into this and find out from the doctor...Thanks Debbie

Old 08-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #6
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Hey "sakara33", Iíve been getting beta-peels, which are much lighter then TCA peels (there between AHA and TCA), and I was thinking about a TCA peel because my skin is very tolerable and I was looking for something that would make more of a difference. Where you put under any sensation during to procedure? And I would also really appreciate it if you keep us posted on your results.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"dudewithrosacea", that website you gave has a WARNING at the bottom that the TCA peel is "Recommended only for experience and professionals." I wouldnít recommend that the average person get it because it could cause some serious problems if not used correctly.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
    sakara33
    Inactive
    (female)

sakara33 HB User

Hello
    JohnSmith007

First of all someone put up a website where you can maybe get the stuff to due the peel yourself, but to get the strenght that are used in the DR.'s office you have to be a DR. The stuff that you can order online are very very low strenghts and if used correctly you do see results...but I can't stress enough to use a SPF of 15 or HIGHER and it does take some time because it only deals with the superfical layer of the skin.
    I am in the business, but I just don't work in it anymore...I have my lic. but I can only order the lower strenghts, only a DR can order the higher strenghts, because if they just let everyone order it they (the company that makes it could be sued). Even thou I have friends that work in a spa (not a doctors office or medical spa) I would rather have it done in a medical spa, where there is a DR and nurses available if needed....what if something was to go wrong, a bad allergic reactions....then what.

Ok back to you JohnSmith007

To answer your question you ask "Where you put under any sensation during to procedure" my skin is very sensitive so I could only do 3 coats on my face. And yes my face wasn't has tolerable as I thought it would be, not to freak you out REMEMBER I HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN, but the first coat that was put on my face it felt like someone putting gasoline on my face and by the 3rd coat someone lite a match and set me on fire.......LOL but also I had been using a retina cream for a month before this (the DR told me to) and I have also taken really good care of my skin, even before that. The DR wanted me to use the retina cream to shedd alot of the skin off so the peel would pentrate better which it did. But don't let my experience freak you out everyone is different, just start out with the 1 phase peel and go from there.
    And with your skin being more tolerable the jessners maybe ok for you, to go onto another phase . Let me explain it this way.

JESSNER'S PEEL
    1 Phase 1-4 coats LIGHT PEEL $80
    2 Phase 5-8 coats MEDIUM PEEL $110
    3 Phase 9-12 coats DEEP PEEL $130

This is the second day and I really can tell that it has brought alot of the dark spot or pigmentation to the top (which is what the doc said it would do) of the my skin which is what I wanted, the doctor said that I should start to peel by Sunday or Monday, which I will be glad to see. There is still some red in my face but that is to be expected. OH also here is what they used in my peel:

Salicylic Acid 14 %
    Lactic Acid 14 %
    Resorcinol 14 % this is also an antinflamatory
    which is a total of 42 % percent peel.

By the way they didn't put anything on my face to numb or nothing. I just took it. Which if I can handle it for 15 minutes I am sure you can. Plus my consultation was free.

[ removed ]

Hope this helps ......will keep you updated...

Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 08-21-2004 at 03:55 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails, no pictures, no personal webpages.

Old 08-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Thanks for the response, Iíll have to look into it.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #10
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

Sakara,

I was just wondering if you can tell me what skin care products you are using after the peel and basically what is your skin care regimen after the peel. I have very sensitive skin and everything irritates my skin so I was hoping post-treatment peel cleansers and moisturizers would be good for me... I've been using a glycolic acid product for a while and it has really made my skin blotchy and red and extremely sensitive (allergies maybe?) and my skin's been peeling and the only thing I can do at the moment is wash my face with water and even that stings...

thanks in advance...

Old 08-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #11
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"Sky77", you have to moisturize like crazy. They do have stronger moisturizing creams that you can get from your dermatologist. Other than that, you should just get a very strong oil-free moisturizer and keep that on as much as possible during the day and at night until your skin gets back to normal. Donít do any more peels until then.

Old 08-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #12
    Sky77
    (female)

Sky77 HB User

JohnSmith007,

Oh maybe that's why.... I don't really moisturize because of all the controversy on moisturizers. My skin is soooo bad right now, it's all bumpy and kinda rashy looking and even when the wind blows on my skin it stings. John, do you know of a good oil-free moisturizer that I can use? I have no idea what to try because I had really sensitive skin before I did the glycolic stuff and now my skin is just intolerant to everything!!!
    My skin is really thin at the moment and I can see little red veins everywhere! I'm really worried I have killed my skin permanently... sigh!!! I'm sooo stupid....thanks

Old 08-23-2004, 10:17 AM   #13
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"Sky77", one good moisturizer that you can try to start with is "Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 with Parsol 1789". You can get it at any large store. Target has good prices on it. Even if you donít go in the sun, the SPF is really good for your skin. This moisturizer wonít give you any more acne, and actually it should really help your acne. And I was wondering, what were you referring to when you said the "controversy on moisturizers".

Closed Thread