It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Need a gentle cleanser for oily skin!! Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
    lulu00

lulu00 HB User
    Need a gentle cleanser for oily skin!! Help!!

Hey guys!
    Well, I've tried everything under the sun as far as cleansers go! Proactiv, neutrogena, dove, noxema, purpose, cetaphil, and the list goes on...
    I am currently using cetaphil, cuz I need something really really mild (my skin is SO sensitive!) I like the cleanser but I'm finding the cetaphil leaves me looking like an oil slick! but, if i use something for acne prone skin, it's too drying and i get flakey! i can't seem to find anything that balances my skin and is oil free.
    any suggestions??
    thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
    johnsmith007
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

johnsmith007 HB User
    Re: Need a gentle cleanser for oily skin!! Help!!

Hmmmm..that is a tough one. I currently use cetaphil and it works well but I don't have oily skin. So after you wash you face with the cetaphil your skin is oily right afterwards?

Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
    AliasJaneDoe
    (female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User

The best I've found so far is Oil of Olay face wash for sensitive skin (I can check exactly what it's called if you're interested). It hasn't made me break out at all, removes make-up well, I'm not shiny right after washing, and it doesn't dry my skin out.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
    lulu00

lulu00 HB User

yeah, with the cetaphil i'm usally oily within the hour.

i'll check out the oil of olay. i've always avoided that brand cuz the name scares me!! (((OIL))) !!! yikes! thanks for the tip!

Old 07-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #5
    Rachelara

Rachelara HB User

I'm glad that someone has asked this question and got at least one answer because I have the same problem is lulu...
    AliasJaneDoe.....the Oil of Olay face cleanser that you use, where do you buy it and what is the exact name of it?
    Also, do you use it everytime you wash your face and do you use any other products along with it?
    Thanks

Old 07-09-2004, 02:50 AM   #6
    AliasJaneDoe
    (female)

AliasJaneDoe HB User

It's called "Olay gentle foaming face wash" and it's the sensitive skin one. There are different kinds, but I tend to peel easily with anything that isn't ultra gentle (despite being an oil slick). Anyway, I got it at the grocery store (Fry's) because it's oil-free, fragrance-free, dry-free, and derm tested. It comes in a tube type thing, not a pump (kinda annoying at first, but great for travel).

I use it everyday, and nothing else except for maybe once a week I'll use Clean & Clear SA face wash if I'm not flaking at all (which I'm pretty sure is from the spiro). And then I wash with the Olay after to make sure I don't leave any SA residue around my nose so it doesn't get pink.

Anyway, the Olay face wash has never broken me out or irritated my skin (I still do break out, but that's just regular breaking out for me, no flare when I switched to this from my old cleanser). Actually, in the mornings, my face is all oily and kinda red (I think my own oilyness irritates my skin - very strange), and after washing, it's not shiny and not so red.

So anyway, this is what works for me. Hopefully you guys will like it also if you decide to try it.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:09 AM   #7
    shirl
    (female)

shirl HB User
    Smile Re: Need a gentle cleanser for oily skin!! Help!!

I use Acne-Aid Cleansing Bar. I have sensitive and oily skin too but it's gentle and doesn't dry out my skin. I wash my face once in the morning and before going to bed. I use facial tissues to wipe my face when it tends to get oily.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
    Girlie19
    Veteran

Girlie19 HB User

I use the green one from Nivea for oily skin. It has these tiny beads in it to exfoliate. I used to have oily but flakey skin and every cleanser would dry me out. My skin has never looked better. It has that healthy glow to it now! My acne went from almost severe to mild. Not sure if it's the cleanser though. I don't use anything else except Neutrogean combination skin moisturizer.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #9
    Rachelara

Rachelara HB User

AliasJaneDoe,
    I just bought the Oil of Olay cleanser and took a guess on which one you had mentioned (since I did not come back to this forum first before buying) and yes, I bought the exact same one, so now I am a happy camper because WoW ! Just using it once so far has made my face feel less itchy, smooth, and not oily at all. It makes my face feel fresh and I don't feel that there is any residue left on it at all. So thanks for the tip and I hope it continues to go well.
    Rachel

Old 07-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #10
    bunny9987
    Veteran
    (female)

bunny9987 HB User
    Smile Re: Need a gentle cleanser for oily skin!! Help!!

hi

you can try Mary Kay Deep Cleanser 3
    I use it, its great for oily skin, and it shouldn't leave your skin dry and flaky because it doesn't contain BP, or Saliystic Acid

Melissa

Old 07-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #11
    lulu00

lulu00 HB User

thanks for all the suggestions! off to spend more money!

Old 07-12-2004, 10:38 PM   #12
    Mr.Bojangless
    Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

Yes this thread has exactly what im looking for---I think my face would look a WHOLE lot better if my face wasnt so oily, especially my nose. I hate looking at my reflection, and seeing my shiny nose sticking out above anything else.

Anyway, I'm off to the store to buy some of these products---thanks a lot all. I always get kinda embarrased when buying acne products (im sure you all understand), but my plan is to buy a box of condoms as well. Sure I have acne, but at least im getting some!

kind of a pointless post but o well

Old 07-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #13
    lulu00

lulu00 HB User

bonjangless! that is hilarious!! haha!
    i get SOOO embarassed buying acne products! and i usually get really motivated and buy everything at once, so i go up to the checkstand with acne cleanser, topicals, foundation, concealer, etc. ugh! i feel totally humiliated standing there at the counter with my face full of zits and buying all that crap.
    i'll try the condoms thing next time! heee!

Old 07-13-2004, 09:28 PM   #14
    Mr.Bojangless
    Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

haha lulu im glad im not the only one. Of course we're all blowing it out of proportion, I bet most cashiers dont even care/notice what your buying, they've cashed waay too many products through. But none the less...I buy the condoms lol.

oh btw i just bought the Neutrogena face cleanser for oily/sensitive skin. My nose still gets shiny, even RIGHT after i wash my face, when theres no oil at all. Makes me a little mad...
    My face also gets oily in a few hours too...all in all I've noticed only a small improvement. Of course, I've only used it once...would using it regularily help at all?

Closed Thread