It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What foods don't cause acne??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2004, 12:35 PM   #16
    Joe_Dude
    (male)

Joe_Dude HB User
    Re: What foods don't cause acne??

''I have read over and over and over again, plus heard from 2 different derms that food does NOT cause acne. This is an "old wive's tale" and very outdated information.
    ''

Well, just stick to your theory and we'll see how far you'll come.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #17
    replay57

replay57 HB User

I dont think rice (white or brown) is bad for your acne. For one, the majority of the asian population eats rice everyday. I'm not trying to be bias but most asians have very healthy looking skin.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #18
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

I seem to be cursed with this knowledge. I totally believe that what you eat affects your skin. I believe that list to be very comprehensive. History shows that acne is largely a western phenomenon. Other countries that eat non-processed foods indiginous (sp?) to the region just do not get acne. Derms and doctors in general know practically zip about nutrition and don't want to know because their practices are based on diagnosing and prescribing. This is a well known fact. The trouble is, I have a 16 year old party girl who loves life and loves to eat. She eats better than her friends because that's the way she was raised, but she has the bad acne. I have tried to move her in this direction of being even more restrictive and even got her a book to read. This diet issue has caused us more stress than you can possibly imagine. She even told me once that she doesn't want to live in the house anymore because I bug her so much about what she eats. I was making myself sick with worry over everything she ate and got back trouble and finally got sick. So I had to decide what was more important, zits, or our relationship. I had to back off. So, she's on accutane now and I'm not happy about it but there's nothing I can do about it. I just hope and pray that she sees the light some day and that she does well on the drug.

OK,I feel better now. And to all of you smart enough to follow this advice - I wish you all the best in your quest for non-medicated clear skin.

Dermatology is the best specialty. The patient never dies - and never gets well. ANONYMOUS

Last edited by skimom; 07-21-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #19
    turbonamja
    Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Could we add on to this menu of good foods for our acne to help other board members out? This would be extremely beneficial for individuals to try out.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:56 AM   #20
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by replay57
    I dont think rice (white or brown) is bad for your acne. For one, the majority of the asian population eats rice everyday. I'm not trying to be bias but most asians have very healthy looking skin.
    I actually mentioned this on this board before (about Asians rice consumption) after asking a Japanese friend who told me that Asians DO have a problem with acne.

She told me that its only begun to happen in the 20th century when technology has enabled everyone (not just the rich) to eat white rice as opposed to brown rice in its natural state.

So, it would seem that the more WHITE rice people eat, the more acne (and diebetes etc) people seem to have - especially when they're eating 1 or more cups of rice NUMEROUS times a day (even with breakfast)

Maybe they counteract some of the affects with their huge consumption of fish.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:01 AM   #21
    ChariK

ChariK HB User

There is no medical link between food and acne. I've read so many stories from upset people who say that their skin is terrible, yet they eat healthy, don't smoke, don't drink, yet their friends stay out all night partying, smoking and drinking, and eat fast food all the time. There is absolutely no direct proven link between diet and acne.

However, a good general diet with aid in your body's overall health, including skin complexion. So while eating a healthy diet will not in itself aid getting rid of acne, it will make your skin's complexion overall better. It is incorrect to think that changing to a healthy diet will rid yourself of acne, though.

skimom, be happy for your daughter. In the majority of cases, Accutane proves to completely eradicate acne and while the side effects can be severe, the freedom given to the user far outweighs the possibility of problems. I'm sure your daughter isn't stupid, and understood the severe risks of taking Accutane and since she still decided to go on it, her acne must have been causing her deep distress.

Take care all.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 AM   #22
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimom
    Derms and doctors in general know practically zip about nutrition
    You are SO right - the medical world doesn't seem to put a lot of weight on nutrition even though every single cell in your body is created by the food you eat!!! How could that NOT affect you!! Thats like saying the air that you breathe into your lungs has NO bearing on your health!!

I used to work for a holistic MD and he told me that in med school he had had maybe 1 or 2 classes on nutrition and that was it!!

He ended up noticing various connections between diet and certain conditions (ie ADD from lots of processed food with lots of E additives and preservatives) and decided to study nutrition further.

I don't think nutrition can totally CURE many diseases but I think it DEFINATELY better prepares the body to prevent conditions

Old 07-22-2004, 06:17 AM   #23
    andrew127
    (male)

andrew127 HB User

Why are peas bad for you????????

Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 AM   #24
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

[QUOTE=ChariK]There is no medical link between food and acne. I've read so many stories from upset people who say that their skin is terrible, yet they eat healthy, don't smoke, don't drink, yet their friends stay out all night partying, smoking and drinking, and eat fast food all the time. There is absolutely no direct proven link between diet and acne.

QUOTE]

I think some people may be predisposed to acne and food may trigger it. Its like some people are genetically predisposed to cancer but its certain triggers (ie living near power lines) that ultimately bring on the disease.

Oh, and people who eat healthy and still have acne may a) be eating all the wrong 'healthy foods' (ie "...but I eat ALL low fat products!")
    b) have only started to eat healthy AFTER getting acne

Using your theory, smoking doesn't kill people because only 1/4 of smokers will die before 60 of smoke related illnesses - and if most who do it don't die prematurely then it smoking CAN'T REALLY be causing diseases.

The fact is, we really still don't know WHAT causes acne or WHy people get it so you can't really say conclusively either way.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #25
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrew127
    Why are peas bad for you????????
    They're not BAD, they're just not the best veggies coz they're so high in sugars. But if you wanna have peas once a week go ahead as long as you focus on GREEN VEGGIES then you should be getting all the nutrients you need.

I think its all about moderation.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #26
    euro18

euro18 HB User

even though peas are high in sugars - these are NATURAL sugars, which your body is much better able to deal with. I just worry people might start to think "well if peas are high in sugar and so chocolate , I may as well have chocolate!" WRONG! Chocolate has refined sugars in it, which your body was never built to handle.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:29 AM   #27
    eddycraig

eddycraig HB User

I must admit I'm a little taken by the list in the second post. That is a huge list of both good and bad foods for acne. Truth is, there has been no scientific evidence that any food causes acne.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:56 AM   #28
    stasia12
    Veteran

stasia12 HB User

i also dont see how a big consumption of fish counteracts the effects of white rice. first off-fish has tons of iodine and that can be bad for acne. and not all sushi and asian fish dishes are made with the good omega fatty acid fish like salmon........

Old 07-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #29
    stasia12
    Veteran

stasia12 HB User

but he is right about the fruit juice thing-diabetics cant drink alot of fruit juice, nor can they eat alot of fruits high in natural sugars like grapes.......they can cause blood sugar swings. even fruit juices that are sweetened with white grape juice instead of corn syrup or regular sugar can do this/

Old 07-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #30
    stasia12
    Veteran

stasia12 HB User

also-that list is a GUIDELINE> if your acne happens to be the kind that is not sensitve to wheat-u can probably consume whole grain breads that dont have a lot sugar without too much problem as long as you are not slathering jelly or something bad on them. you have to figure out what works for YOU> you may not be as sensitive to some carbs as others. we are all unique individuals.

Closed Thread