It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• What foods don't cause acne??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 AM   #31
    ChariK

ChariK HB User
    Re: What foods don't cause acne??

joquiero, you bring up an interesting point. I have to say though, that's not my theory, it's just what a lot of people have told me (the healthy person 'v' partying person). I do, however, agree with your "predisposed idea." Food may be a trigger for acne, but is such a minute trigger that the benefits wouldn't outweight the gains by trying to find out what foods cause acne, etc

Quote:
    The fact is, we really still don't know WHAT causes acne or WHY people get it so you can't really say conclusively either way.
    Tiny discrepency here. Acne is caused by sebum overproduction caused by irregularities in the sebaceous glands. The thing that fools the medical community (and as such, everyone) is WHY the sebaceous glands are overproducing sebum. This is why I think that acne is such a difficult nut to crack. People are trying to find treatments to stem the flow of sebum but we should be focusing on the cause of the sebaceous gland overworking, e.g. hormones in adolescents, exposure to sunlight, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 08:24 AM   #32
    joquiero
    Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChariK
    Acne is caused by sebum overproduction caused by irregularities in the sebaceous glands. The thing that fools the medical community (and as such, everyone) is WHY the sebaceous glands are overproducing sebum. This is why I think that acne is such a difficult nut to crack. People are trying to find treatments to stem the flow of sebum but we should be focusing on the cause of the sebaceous gland overworking, e.g. hormones in adolescents, exposure to sunlight, etc.
    Some researchers believe it is androgen that triggers it (though androgen release can be triggered by female hormones, stress, intense weight training) or that inflammation causes it because they have found some sort of molecule that appears during inflammation (and that sugars cause inflammation) within the sebum sac. Also, they believe that inefficient cell exfolatiation is also due to androgen and inflammation.

Its pretty amazing that we can send signals across the world, have operating instruments the size of a human hair, be able to remove parts of a persons brain while leaving them mentally intact and yet can NOT figure out why a little bundle of oil sometimes in some people runs amok!!

Last edited by joquiero; 07-22-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #33
    ChariK

ChariK HB User

Quote:
    Its pretty amazing that we can send signals across the world, have operating instruments the size of a human hair, be able to remove parts of a persons brain while leaving them mentally intact and yet can NOT figure out why a little bundle of oil sometimes in some people runs amok!!
    Hear Hear

I wish we did know.. I'd be a lot happier! Lol.

Old 07-22-2004, 11:52 AM   #34
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

We are much closer to understanding this, but the majority of acne sufferers and unfortunately some doctors & drug manufacturers don't want to hear it. =(

This is absolutely not about a conspiracy, it's about being able to look beyond what was taught to you in biology class or in your medical textbooks

That's not to say you can't afford to eat healthier, you just can't afford to do it, if you are going to consume overpriced Fast Food, Resturant, and Refined or Packaged foods. Homecooked foods are usually still more affordable to consume and you get to control the quality & ingredient content. =)

Last edited by Administrator; 12-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #35
    euro18

euro18 HB User

Sweetjade,

the building blocks of the human body consist of:

Fats

Proteins

Carbohyrdates

That ANY of these ( in excess will cause problems, and usually it causes an increase in fat and/or hormone production.

So, if we ate a PERFECTLY balanced diet , then we should clear up? I know you say refined carbs are the main offenders, but I am surprised fats and proteins can increase IFG1 - or whatever it is!! But then I know people who went on atkins and totally cleared up and they ate dairy too, so maybe it is really just a question of cutting out refined carbs. I know I have done the latter and it is helping a lot, but I am still eating red meat etc and I was not aware this could increase hormone activity. Oh well, you can but try.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:49 PM   #36
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Euro,
    Well that's why these studies must differentiate among the various types of fats, carbohydrates, proteins, hormones, and nutrients. Without specifying what types they tested for or used in an experiment, it greatly misleads the population into thinking "oh all fat is bad" or "oh all carbs are bad", and that is not the case.

LOL, I am trying to improve my diet more, but the more I try, the harder it is to do, without cooking the majority of my food from scratch. I don't know if I will ever have a "perfect" diet, but the changes I've made have definately yielded results too. For the record I still eat red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, and pork (occassionally) and it generally isn't organic so it may be loaded with extra hormones. Maybe that or the fact that I still consume some fried/cooked oils (none that are fried & trans fats though), and consume refined rice may account for my 1%. Who knows there's still a few possibilities, but whatever works for me, may not work for you and vice versa. Prometheus can eat all the fruits and veggies she wants, just as long as she doesn't eat food on her "Bad" List. I've known others that have eliminated all grains, and select vegetables, and they were able to eat (organic) High Fat dairy (something to do with casien being bad)! so there are many combinations out there and we've gotta find our own. Say, what are you avoiding again?

Old 07-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #37
    turbonamja
    Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Hey guys ... here is what I eat pretty much everyday and what I stayed away from (in a nutshell):

I drink about a gallon of water per day ... maybe more or a bit less.
    Brown rice 1-2 servings per day.
    Fruits such as nectarines/watermeleons/honeydew/pears
    Vegys such as tomatoes/brocolli/spinach/cucumbers
    For my proteins I have been intaking a lot of mixed fish from salmon to orange fish. I have been eating lean beef but will switch to lean turkey. Of course chicken (legs/thighs/breasts/wings ... all skinless and never fried)

Thats pretty much what I have been eating. I used to eat raw peanuts but maybe that was adding to the breakouts? I will update when I can

Old 07-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #38
    eatnow
    (male)

eatnow HB User

bottom line, everyone is different. Each person reacts different to certain foods, meds, etc. Besides, if there were such a thing as food X causes acne, then theoretically almost everybody in the world would have acne (especially in western cultures since a lot of people eat food that consist of wheat, processed sugar, etc) since most of the food on the list people eat. Rice, come on now, every asian would have insane amount of acne too then, including my family (asian), yet I'm the only one with acne (although its very little, knock on wood). Also why is it some people get acne at a very young age and i didn't develop acne until i was 20 years old (not cool)? Believe what you want about whether or nto ceratin foods cause acne, but i know i've been eating all sorts of food on that list and i didn't get acne up until this particular age. My firends would eat insane amounts of junk food has probalby one of the nicest complexions i've ever seen.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:52 AM   #39
    turbonamja
    Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eatnow
    bottom line, everyone is different. Each person reacts different to certain foods, meds, etc. Besides, if there were such a thing as food X causes acne, then theoretically almost everybody in the world would have acne (especially in western cultures since a lot of people eat food that consist of wheat, processed sugar, etc) since most of the food on the list people eat. Rice, come on now, every asian would have insane amount of acne too then, including my family (asian), yet I'm the only one with acne (although its very little, knock on wood). Also why is it some people get acne at a very young age and i didn't develop acne until i was 20 years old (not cool)? Believe what you want about whether or nto ceratin foods cause acne, but i know i've been eating all sorts of food on that list and i didn't get acne up until this particular age. My firends would eat insane amounts of junk food has probalby one of the nicest complexions i've ever seen.
    My situation is almost like yours. I got acne when I was 19 and never had one zit in my entire life. My families skin is superb as well. I'm asian and eat all the typical asian foods. BUT, I did break out and it is probably on the very mild to moderate side ... depending on the day . Needless to say, I believe partially that foods have to do with some of the breakouts. I ate this Korean bbq once for 3 days straight and my face probably had about 4-5 small acne pimples around the chin and forehead area. Minimal if anything. After gorging on all that food, that weekend came up and I probably increased a good 2 fold. I wish there was scientific proof on what causes acne and that foods do not cause it, because I would eat my a%& off!

Old 07-30-2004, 05:35 AM   #40
    Joe_Dude
    (male)

Joe_Dude HB User

i just ate a meal of cauliflower, green beans (vooked) and buckwheat...

noone of those are actually aCNE CAUSING RIGHT?

Old 07-30-2004, 07:43 AM   #41
    girlygirl11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I believe that everyone is different, and whether or not they break out on certain foods depends completely on them. For example, I break out when I eat Peanut Butter or Chocolate, and none of my friends seem to.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #42
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Food has nothing whatever to do with causing acne. Dirt on the skin does noy cause acne. The truth is it is hereditary, and the best chance for treating it sucessfully is medication.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:02 PM   #43
    Fury23

Fury23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by openseason
    Food has nothing whatever to do with causing acne. Dirt on the skin does noy cause acne. The truth is it is hereditary, and the best chance for treating it sucessfully is medication.
    Sorry, this may be the case for you, but to say this is true for everyone...You are wrong.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #44
    Tiefer479
    Veteran
    (female)

Tiefer479 HB User

People are genetically predisposed to acne, a predisposition which may or may not be exacerbated within certain individuals by certain kinds of food. I firmly believe that if you are in the 16-20 age group, than hormones are the determinant factor; if you are younger or older, than your diet may play a limited role.

Old 07-30-2004, 05:35 PM   #45
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Charik I know you are correct. Why do some people produce so much sebum ? It sure is not food because most people eat the same type diet.

Closed Thread